deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Name, Type, Occupation  (Read 766 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Name, Type, Occupation
« on: October 31, 2020, 09:20:05 am »
Hey all,

I'm doing dumb shit again.

I've always loved cards that have the same name as they have types. I have no idea why, I just find it funny. I just imagine them joining the army or something.

"Name?"
"Skeleton Archer"
"Types?"
"Skeleton Archer"
"Occupation?"
"Skeleton Archer"

I'm trying to find if there are enough to make a whole deck, but scryfall doesn't have a "show all creatures where name == type" search function.

I know the classics like Skeleton Archer, Goblin Wizard, Cat Warriors. I'm happy for them to be a little loose too, like Skeletal Vampire.

So, if you know of any creatures like this, please post them here. I'm working my way through scryfall creature type by creature type, but damn is it taking a long time. It doesn't matter how bad they are, just that the answer to all three questions is the same.

Thanks in advance!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Name, Type, Occupation
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 01:17:03 pm »
Nils, you legend!

I was seriously contemplating downloading the card list from the wizards api, spinning up a MySQL database, importing in the data and running some queries.

You've saved me a lot of messing around. Thanks a lot! This list is perfect!

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 03:35:04 pm »
If only pharmacist were a creature type.  Then Apothecary Geist would fit your list too.
Happy Brewing!
:)

xantius

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 07:10:55 pm »
Nightmare
Soltari Monk
Mercenary Knight

have "more" types then names, is this a Problem ?

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 07:18:18 pm »
ApothecaryGeist, I'll include it anyway, just for you. One day we might see an errata.

Xantius, not at all, these suggestions are great, thank you!

I'm also thinking of including spells with really literal names for the non creature spells too.

Things like murder, disenchant, Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. That kind of thing.

"Yo, who's the big dragon?"
"Nicol Bolas."
"What's he do?"
"Planeswalker."

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 04:12:43 am »
Polymorph would be silly but its quite literal on what it does.   
Cancel is probably obvious if you're running blue.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 09:53:01 am »
Thanks for suggestions dude. I like polymorph in particular. I feel that counterspell is probably more literal than cancel, but I might find room for both.

I've developed a litmus test for a cards inclusion.

I tell my wife what it's called and see if she can guess what it is/does. She knows how to play magic, so she's familiar with the rules concepts (destroying creatures, playing lands, countering spells etc.), but she doesn't know very many cards.

Naturally she got counterspell straight away. She got there with cancel, but originally she thought it might be removal.

I've put everything we've got so far into a deck. Holy crap is it bad.

Edit: I forgot the other aspect of this kind of card design I love. Cards that are just real things, especially animals. Killer Whale, Giant Albatross, Grizzly Bears, that kind of thing.

I don't know why I find this shit so funny.

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1800926-nominative-determinism
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:10:21 am by CleanBelwas »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 04:49:11 pm »
Thanks for suggestions dude. I like polymorph in particular. I feel that counterspell is probably more literal than cancel, but I might find room for both.

I've developed a litmus test for a cards inclusion.

I tell my wife what it's called and see if she can guess what it is/does. She knows how to play magic, so she's familiar with the rules concepts (destroying creatures, playing lands, countering spells etc.), but she doesn't know very many cards.

Naturally she got counterspell straight away. She got there with cancel, but originally she thought it might be removal.

I've put everything we've got so far into a deck. Holy crap is it bad.

Edit: I forgot the other aspect of this kind of card design I love. Cards that are just real things, especially animals. Killer Whale, Giant Albatross, Grizzly Bears, that kind of thing.

I don't know why I find this shit so funny.

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1800926-nominative-determinism
This jank is exactly what we all needed right now xD.

I dare you to actually play this on like Untap.in or Cockatrice and tell us how it went. Don't tell the other players, just note how long it takes them to figure out what's going on.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 05:01:18 pm »
This jank is exactly what we all needed right now xD.

I dare you to actually play this on like Untap.in or Cockatrice and tell us how it went. Don't tell the other players, just note how long it takes them to figure out what's going on.

Haha yea dude that's my plan. I've been trying to familiarise myself with untap.in as MustaKotka and I are looking to jam some games at some point (others are welcome too if they fancy it but we're on European time zones so might not be suitable for everyone). Once I'm clued up on it I'll give this deck a run.

I'm also going to build it in paper too for next time my playgroup plays over webcam. Same thing, not tell them what's going on, see if they can guess the theme. The good thing about building shit like this is everything is cheap as hell and I already have pretty much all of it from draft chaff.