deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Idea: A community created reprint set  (Read 744 times)

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
Idea: A community created reprint set
« on: November 06, 2020, 03:58:34 pm »
With all of the recent sets, some very nice reprints have arisen. Unfortunately for the playerbase, cards that seem like a prime target for reprints get ignored, and older card hardly show up. My idea is to create a community constructed reprint set and show it to Wizards. What desprately needs to get a reprint, or is too expensive to obtain? Suggestions are wanted.

Guidelines:
Nothing too recent
Nothing is too crazy
No banned cards, if a set like this were printed, it should be accessible to all players.

My initial thoughts: Reprint the og dual lands, this won't cause the prices of the originals to go down, and a reprint of those would lower the prices of other lands like shocks.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Idea: A community created reprint set
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 06:44:43 pm »
You realize the OG duals are on the Reserved List and Wizards literally can't reprint them, right? Wouldn't that fall in the "too crazy" category?
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 07:10:25 pm »
I see what you're going for Cosmic, but I doubt the EDH community could come up with a reasonable set of reprinted cards. It would probably go something like this: "Hmm, well we can reprint the shocklands again, which is nice. Let's also hit some mid-range priced cards for popular archetypes like Anointed Procession, Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, Exploration, etc. Well, since we're doing lands and popular cards, Urborg + Coffers has been needing a reprint. Hey, Gaea's Cradle is pretty good and basically unaffordable for anyone with 2.3+ brain cells, let's toss that in there. Since we've invaded the Reserved List, let's reprint the OG duals, Mox Diamond, Wheel of Fortune, Timetwister, etc." and it goes on and on with the community's insatiable appetite demanding more and more and more and more reprints. There's absolutely no way that the community could design a set.

Cosmic_Insight

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 08:09:52 pm »
Well, it would be possible to set some sort of range for what the community can request, but it would be rather difficult to accomplish something like that.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 09:42:16 pm »
Well, it would be possible to set some sort of range for what the community can request, but it would be rather difficult to accomplish something like that.

If you're still interested in making a list, I would probably start with:
- No Reserved List
- No card over $100
- If you ask for one card in a cycle, the whole cycle has to be eligible

Cosmic_Insight

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 10:18:53 pm »
Yeah, some guidelines like that seem reasonable, with like 5 cards that are $100+. I personally won't be able to make the list or ask anyone else though, so this was more of an idea for someone with a little more influence and know-how than me to try.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 10:58:34 pm »
Wizards can reprint cards from the reserved list, and actually has done so.  There are several cards that have been on the reserved list that are no longer there, and are now eligible for reprinting.  Who know's maybe the Reserved list will one day die out, but, when it does, I bet they still won't reprint the duals in anything but box toppers, collectors boosters, secret lairs, that sort of thing, and they'll be basically as hard to come by as they are now.

That being said, we could make the list much more easily by saying that any card that any mythic costing less than $15, and rare costing less than $5, any uncommon costing less than $2 and any common costing less than $1 aren't really in need of a reprint.  We also take out cards from the reserved list and anything still in standard.  That narrows it down to a much smaller card pool, then we could have a poll that picks the top desired cards for each rarity.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 01:09:40 am »
Wizards only removed commons and uncommons, never rares, and that was less than 10 years after the list was created. Also, they originally had the ability to reprint reserved cards in premium products, but have since promised not to after the backlash. Wizards can't, literally CAN'T, reprint reserved cards. If they were to dismantle the reserved list, collectors could sue them for false advertisement to try and recoup their collection losses. Given that many reserved list cards sell for thousands of dollars each, WotC would never open themselves to those kind of lawsuits.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 06:56:51 pm »
The point is not that they will start printing reserved list cards, but that they can.  If they are confident that community support will be worth more than the backlash, they can do what they want.  There's only a weak case at best regarding the ability one would have to sue the company.  If they provided some notice and took the right steps to distance themselves from the secondary market, they can do whatever they want and wouldn't loose a penny to lawsuits, but even if they did loose some lawsuits, they would probably do it anyways if they felt it would bring in enough business to compensate.  However, they've mostly been toeing the line of functional reprints for now.  Maybe the reserved list will die someday, I imagine it will at some point, but that doesn't seem to be the path that Wizards is taking at the moment.  Eventually, every copy of certain cards will either be damaged beyond playability or held by a collector that isn't selling.  At that point, the only way to get those cards will be through reprints.  I'm guessing there will be a change in how Wizards approaches the reserved list before we get to that point, but, that's a long time off.
Regardless, there are plenty of other reprints that are probably just as desirable that we can hope for in the meantime.