deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: A Formula for Determining your Deck's Power Level  (Read 10106 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: A Formula for Determining your Deck's Power Level
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 12:21:59 am »
Not sure how I'm going to do this though. I know that first I need to find a way to differentiate between low quality cards and high quality cards. That was one of the stark contrasts between the pre-cons and player-made decks. If you have any ideas on how to tell the difference, let me know.

What the original formula did was pretty good. Seeing a lot of cards (Ponder, Brainstorm, Rhystic Study) rules out weaker spells. You could combine "costs less than 4 to cast and sees more than 2 cards" to get a good heuristic for quality card draw. This would include Rhystic but not Sign in Blood or Conscrated Sphinx which sounds fair to me. Of course this would catch Painful Truths but err it's close enough I guess. Most notably it excludes cards like Stroke of Genius that are really outlets, not quality card draw. Alternatively you could say "count draw spells with a ratio of 1 mana to 1 card, or lower". This would, again, include Painful Truths but you'd get Consecrated Sphinx and Sign in Blood back if you consider those quality draw. Divination is still out either way.

Ramp at cmc 2 or below is a good metric. Interaction at cmc 2 or below also works, just add board wipes below cmc 5. EDIT: is Beast Within still 'good' removal? IDK. I might need to think about that for a while.

You could also quantify lands as a fraction, something like: (total lands - tapped or utility lands) / number of lands. That would give you a continuous variable (I'm a huge fan). I'm not entirely sure how you make a meaningful difference between 5 taplands and 0 taplands with that but I'm sure you'll figure out a way.

Same can be applied for tutors "for most common targets to tutor count the tutors that cost less than 4 to cast". This would catch Green Sun's Zenith finding Thrasios, Triton Hero but not Reshape targeting Iron Maiden. Anyway, this would exclude Diabolic Tutor. EDIT: Actually consider the tutor + most common / best target as a single unit. Anything below a set threshold would score points. The cutoff should probably be anything below 5 because I'm not fine with you finding Demonic Consultation with a Diabolic Tutor. Then again Fabricate into Ashnod's Altar is a solid play, hmm.

For combo, consider the total cost of the combo put together. For Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy + Basalt Monolith that's 5. For Demonic Consultation + Thassa's Oracle that's 3. For Dramatic Scepter that's 2-4 depending on how you count the rocks and the activation cost of the Scepter. For my weird untap thingies it's more like 10 or so. Let's see: Aphetto Alchemist 2, Illusionist's Bracers 2+3, a Talisman/Signet 2 totaling 9 mana to execute the entire combo. It's even worse with other pieces.

EDIT: These criteria should give really high scores to cEDH and lower scores for lower power decks. Ideally this formula measures the meaningful variables in each power category: for high power tutors, draw and combo, for low power land quality and average cmc of the deck.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 12:32:59 am by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

stuffnsuch

• Decks
Re: A Formula for Determining your Deck's Power Level
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2020, 10:33:33 pm »
I saw this was more math than I wanted to deal with, so i made this.  Thought I'd share!

https://www.interactivecalculator.com/view/0GjRZolNkL4VkBEW8ry1