deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What is the most efficient form of land destruction?  (Read 699 times)

ekans_

• Decks
What is the most efficient form of land destruction?
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:20 pm »
Since some months I'm fascinated by the archetype of land destruction and I was always trying to find good ways to build around it in the modern format.
While trying that I discovered two major types of land destruction: Turning lands into a card type (May that be Islands for some nice Boil or Artifacts for Karn, the Great Creator) and then destroying them super efficiently OR just casting generic land disruption each turn, but don't nessecarily need a set up.

Here I'll call them Type 1 and 2.
I think Type 1 decks have some better synergies but are also more reliable on certain cards and Type 2 is more persistent but lacks the interaction between it's own cards. It's also less efficient with it's destruction spells.
Those two types can each be differenciated into another two types.

I figured out two decks for Type 1: Liquimetal Coating plus any kind of cheap artifact destruction or Karn, the Great Creator. Turning lands into islands with Quicksilver Fountain or enchantments and then play a mostly one sided Boil.
Type 2 was either just killing lands with cheap stuff like Cleansing Wildfire or Assassin's Trophy and then stopping the opponent from searching his library with Aven Mindcensor or if you want it more fancy you can bounce the opponents lands back with tons of Boomerang spells and then go for beatdown with Delver of Secrets.

There is the combo with Spreading Algae and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth but that's not any better than Liquimetal Coating and
Karn, the Great Creator.

Now I was thinking what really is the better choice or if I just didn't see some stuff. And if I really didn't, I would be grateful if you'd tell me about it ^^
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:00:08 am by Laboratory Maniac »

Soren841

• Decks
Re: What is the most effient form of land destruction?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:58:56 pm »
Blood Moon and such are the most efficient easily
Nils is the God I worship

ekans_

• Decks
Re: What is the most effient form of land destruction?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 07:38:28 pm »
Blood Moon and such are the most efficient easily

but thats boring :(

i should reword my question: what is the most efficient form of land destruction you can actually build a deck around?

stuffnsuch

• Decks
Re: What is the most efficient form of land destruction?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 07:29:26 pm »
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa turns your opponents lands into 1/1 creatures.  There are way more ways to take out a 1/1 creature than just about anything.

For Example:

Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, Goblin Sharpshooter, Salvaging Station, Lotus Petal = destroy any lands you want whenever you want

I'm sure there are other ways to exploit him, but there's a start.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:33:44 pm by stuffnsuch »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 07:41:28 pm »
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa turns your opponents lands into 1/1 creatures.  There are way more ways to take out a 1/1 creature than just about anything.

For Example:

Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, Goblin Sharpshooter, Salvaging Station, Lotus Petal = destroy any lands you want whenever you want

I'm sure there are other ways to exploit him, but there's a start.
Jolrael, Empress of Beasts is the same thing en masse.

EDIT: I forgot. My favorite combo for this is Mycosynth Lattice, Darksteel Forge, and Vandalblast.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:13:56 pm by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 07:44:50 pm »
There is also Liquimetal Coating, March of the Machines, and Dross Scorpion

I am fond of Isochron Scepter + Active Volcano + Reef Shaman even though it is not fast lol

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 08:47:31 pm »
I like Kormus Bell + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + any spell that gives your opponents a minimum of -1/-1, one example being Cower in Fear. Note that this can be achieved in any colour if you opt for some other -1/-1 or ping damage mechanic.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/