deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Aesi Land Ramo - Seeking Deck Advice  (Read 994 times)

QG24

• Decks
Aesi Land Ramo - Seeking Deck Advice
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:23:19 am »
Here is the deck: https://deckstats.net/decks/167122/1833341-aesi-simic-land-ramp

Any and all advice would be appreciated

jlutzxinc

• Decks
Re: Aesi Land Ramo - Seeking Deck Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 09:10:33 pm »
What budget do you have?  I have several possible options but many of them are expensive, and this already looks pretty OK.

QG24

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 09:14:48 pm »
I'm not about to go buy Shock Lands but I can afford a Roil Elemental and/or Ashaya if that makes sense. Basically I won't pay more than 15-20 bucks on a single card

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:27:59 pm »
Exploration, Hinterland Harbor and Flooded Grove are under $20 each off the top of my head.  Most of the other cards I might have suggested are not.

QG24

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, I've heard of the first two but not that last one

What are your more expensive suggestions if you don't mind me asking?

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 09:45:07 pm »
The big one is Oracle of Mul Daya, primarily for the built-in Exploration effect like Aesi has.

There are other ways to play Land from elsewhere, but their utility is limited unless you have outlets or face significant land destruction.  Ramunap Excavator isn't too pricey, but Crucible of Worlds is.

Lotus Cobra is much, much cheaper than I remembered.  In fact it's well within budget to pick it up alongside one of the cards from my first post.

I somehow overlooked your mentions of Ashaya and Roil Elemental.  Personally I've had poor results with those.

QG24

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 10:13:04 pm »
Huh, wouldn't have expected poor results from Roil and Ashaya, especially Ashaya who seems to be almost strictly better than Multani (minus recursion and trample), care to explain why?

Also I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but Ramunap is in fact in my deck

Other cards I've considered besides the two previously mentioned are:
Abundance (seems like you just dump your basics if you combine this with Aesi or Tatyova)
Arcane Signet (staple)
Blackblade Reforged (quite a few cards in my deck have trample or if someone leaves their board open I can swing in with lethal commander damage)
Crop Rotation (super cheap card that can replace a land with any other land? Why wouldn't I run it?)
Fabled Passage (Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse but it can come in untapped? I don't see why not)
Temple of Mystery (Scry and Dual Land)
Lorthos, the Tidemaker (I'd like to swap out Shipbreaker Kraken with this one)
Walk the Aeons (Cheap extra turn that can be reused again and again pretty cheaply cause of how much the deck dumps lands)
Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle (Sol Ring and Land on Turn 1 with this on Turn 2 gets you Aesi on Turn 3. Plus Thespian's Stage can copy it and get rid of those pesky slumber counters)
Animist's Awakening (Land dump and they have the potential to come in untapped)

Curious what your thoughts are on these cards
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:39:26 pm by QG24 »

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 10:36:58 pm »
I went through the list a couple of times but didn't see it.  As for Ashaya, my playgroup runs a lot of wipes so losing most of my Land isn't very good.  Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: Fabled Passage is really good.  Arixmethes is the oddball choice but it does put in work.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:58:28 pm by jlutzxinc »

QG24

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 10:46:02 pm »
Now that you mention it, there was 1 or 2 land wipes the last group I played with, so yeah maybe Ashaya isn't the best choice. Thought I'm still unsure where the flaws are in Roil Elemental, is it just good on paper but poor in execution or something?

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 11:00:36 pm »
It's probably fine.  I don't get much mileage out of it but that's probably partially due to the wipes; I can't really take significant advantage of the stuff I claim.

QG24

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 11:01:43 pm »
Makes sense, I edited an earlier post to include a list of other cards I've considered, would you mind giving that a look?

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 11:05:11 pm »
I edited my reply, but your reasoning is fairly sound.

QG24

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 11:09:29 pm »
Alright last question: Which cards do you think, if any, I should probably drop at some point?

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 11:14:27 pm »
The creatures that tap to place Land would be the big drop for me.  They're too easy to kill before you can take advantage, especially with the lack of Haste.  If you need more Land the Exploration effects are better, and for Landfall things like Crop Rotation (which you already mentioned) are more reliable.

QG24

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 11:20:20 pm »
Hmm I can see where you're coming from, personally I'm not that big on cards like Trench Behemoth, Shipbreaker Kraken and Tromokratis. I just feel like there's better options, just not sure what exactly