deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Commander Bucket List  (Read 2610 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Commander Bucket List
« on: December 04, 2020, 10:19:10 am »
Hi all,

It's pretty common for people to build EDH decks with a specific aim they want to achieve outside of winning. I've built a lot of decks like this myself.

Last night, I was able to achieve one such goal. I had a Warstorm Surge in play and killed everyone with Descent of the Dragons. It was a lot of fun.

It got me thinking about other goals I'd set out in EDH, which one's I'd accomplished and which are yet to be done.

Here are some examples:

[X] Win with lab man without infinite combos or self mill. Draw the 99 cards the proper way.
[X] Assemble Kaldra.
[X] Kill everyone with one huge, non-infinite Jaya's Immolating Inferno.
[X] Kill someone with one huge, non-infinite Villainous Wealth
[X] Assemble the Stations Combo (blasting station, summoning station, grinding station, salvaging station).
[X] Dragonstorm
[X] Peer into the Abyss with Vilis
[X] Use a Glorious End to avoid otherwise certain death and win on the next turn
[  ] Turn 1 K'rrik win with the god hand
[  ] Josu's party. With Josu Vess, Lich Knight as commander, get an Ashnod's altar, Carnival of Souls and Ayara, First of Locthwain in play and do the thing.
[  ] Kill the table with a Voltron Goat token

I'm sure there are probably others that I've set myself and either completed or failed to complete, but these are some that I can remember right now.

What cool things have you guys done? What challenges did you set yourself and have since accomplished? Or are you still waiting for that perfect time?

What is on your Commander Bucket List?

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Commander Bucket List
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:18:17 am »
Out of the ones CleanBelwas mentioned I have these:
[X] Win with lab man without infinite combos or self mill. Draw the 99 cards the proper way.
[X] Kill everyone with one huge, non-infinite Jaya's Immolating Inferno. (Okay, it was several copies of huge Jaya's Immolating Infernos but still, counts.)

And these would be my own:
[X] Win by decking someone without infinite combos, make them draw the 99 cards the proper way.
[X] Win by forcing others to lose with Hive Mind.
[X] Demonic Tutor for a regular land.
[X] Reach 1000 life with non-infinite combos.
[  ] Reach 1000 mana with non-infinite combos.
[  ] Donate over 5 mana at once to someone.
[  ] Kill everyone with rock tokens.
[  ] Win by stealing all other lands.
[  ] Win with a massive storage land mana dump into Exsanguinate.
[  ] Win with aristocrats.
[  ] Have over 5 copies of a single Legendary Creature.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 11:49:16 am »
Sweet list dude. Some really cool and interesting ideas there. I really like the stealing lands idea.

I took the liberty of checking off some of yours that I'd completed:

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] Win with aristocrats.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 04:04:31 pm »
Sweet list dude. Some really cool and interesting ideas there. I really like the stealing lands idea.

I took the liberty of checking off some of yours that I'd completed:

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] Win with aristocrats.

Mine would probably be:
[X] Reanimate and sacrifice a single creature 5 or more times in a single turn.
[X] Win with Simic Ascendancy (non-infinite).
[  ] Deal over 50,000 combat damage in one turn (non-infinite).
[  ] Make over 500 mana in one turn (non-infinite).
[  ] Draw my deck & with with Thassa's Oracle with Kumena without Dramatic Scepter combo.
[  ] Mill the table out with Altar of Dementia (non-infinite).
[  ] Ult Liliana, Dreadhorde General or Vraska, Golgari Queen.
[  ] Steal an artifact that's worth $50 of more with Thieving Skydiver.
[  ] Lose the game as a direct or indirect result of Ancient Tomb greed.
[  ] Cast Kenrith's Transformation targeting Kenrith, the Returned King.
[  ] Kill someone with Deathrite Shaman's 2nd ability.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 05:11:44 pm »
I don't usually make "bucket lists" but these suggestions are so funny that I'll go ahead and contribute anyway.  Inexhaustively:

[  ] Check off the entire Bucket List card in one turn (my playgroup permits Test Cards because "they're black-bordered").  Bonus points for doing this more than once in the same game, and a double bonus if this is primarily how I draw my Deck (e.g. using draw extenders and replacements is allowed, but no actual cantrips or tutors).  EDIT TO ADD: Cheese strats, like animating it and using The Ozolith, don't count.

[  ] Win without ever becoming a meaningful threat (e.g. players focus so much on each other that I sneak in a win, or a player commits suicide with a kill-everyone card hoping to force a draw but I'm the only one holding Angel's Grace or similar).

[  ] Lose before I ever get a turn (without conceding).  This is here because I assume it's impossible and want to be wrong.

[  ] Defeat an entire multiplayer table with non-Infect Commander damage in a single combat.  Bonus points for doing this to more than three opponents and/or doing so without independently beating someone without it (e.g. their health is below 21).

[  ] Meet the conditions for every "you win the game" card in a single day.  Bonus points for doing all of this in one game WITHOUT actually winning (except for the last time of course).  My playgroup permits cards currently banned so long as everyone in the pod has one and only one, so this can include Coalition Victory.

I'll edit this if I think of any more.

EDIT: [  ] Gain control of every card in an opponent's Deck (including casting all of the Instants and Sorceries) in a single game.  Believe it or not, I've actually goldfished this one.  Bonus points for doing all of it in one turn and/or doing it to more than one opponent in the same game.

[  ] Replace every strategy (including my own) with Sudden Substitution or similar.  Bonus points for winning and a double bonus if I otherwise would have lost.  A separate bonus (in that I don't also get the previous one) for winning with an opponent's Coalition Victory or similar via this method.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:57:59 pm by jlutzxinc »

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:58 pm »

I would love to see a video of this happening.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 11:58:36 pm »
Here are some of mine:

[  ] Win by activating Skirk, Fire Marshall for 40+ in one turn

[  ] Play enough Bannerets, Warchiefs, etc. to cast Morophon for free

[  ] 21 damage from commander the first turn you play them

[  ] Pay life down to 1

[  ] Win with a single poison counter on each player followed by 9 proliferates

[  ] Use Temporal Fissure (or Tidespout Tyrant) to bounce every single permanent on the board I don't own

[  ] Win with Cazur's ability after having both my normal wincons with Ukkima shut down

[  ] Play my commander on turn 1 (not Rograkh)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 11:48:40 am »
There's a lot of very cool and ambitious options coming through here and I love it. Thanks for sharing guys. Inspiring me to add more to my list, that's for sure.

I would love to see a video of this happening.

Well, that settles it. My next deck is goat voltron. Just bought a new webcam so should be able to record it in OK quality too. Better get brewing I guess...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 11:50:21 am by CleanBelwas »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 01:30:07 pm »
I have never thought of a bucket list for commander but I will try to do some I would do and all ready have done.

(X)Hit a combo without searching for that combo. Did this in my Grismold, the Dreadsower deck. Had the commander out with Animation Module and drew into Ashnod's Altar
(x)Gave someone else the win on purpose Used Heartless Hidetsugu and a damage doubler to elimate everyone(including me) except 1 player who had 1 life.
(x)Win with my cheapest budget deck
(x) Krosan Grip an Aetherflux Reservoir before it had a chance to kill the whole table
( )Win at least 1 game with every deck I have owned(created) and is still constructed
( )Construct some type of counter spell deck which goes against my type of playstyle
( )Have someone borrow/use 1 of my decks and lose to that deck
( )Win the game with 1 life without using Heartless Hidetsugu to get me to 1 life for the win

Nothing else comes to mind right off the bat but again I didnt really have a bucke list
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 07:03:01 am »
So I know it isn't quite the same as what you guys are doing, but for a while I was trying to see which win-conditions I could copy with The Scarab God. I got a couple.

[X] Kiki-Jiki combo
[  ] Laboratory Maniac or Thassa's Oracle
[X] Win by copying another tribe (ended up being Slivers)
[X] Basalt Monolith and my Mesmeric Orb
[  ] Win with an opponents infinite mana combo
[  ] Stax lock
[  ] Necrotic Ooze combo

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 09:15:13 am »
Thought of a couple more:

[X] kill someone by pitching Draco to Volrath the Fallen.
[  ] win with 0 permanents in play. I have been SO close to this one and, but for some life gain in response, would have achieved it. I'll get there one day.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 03:20:07 pm »
So I know it isn't quite the same as what you guys are doing, but for a while I was trying to see which win-conditions I could copy with The Scarab God. I got a couple.

[X] Kiki-Jiki combo
[  ] Laboratory Maniac or Thassa's Oracle
[X] Win by copying another tribe (ended up being Slivers)
[X] Basalt Monolith and my Mesmeric Orb
[  ] Win with an opponents infinite mana combo
[  ] Stax lock
[  ] Necrotic Ooze combo

I'd argue these cases count.

Thought of a couple more:

[X] kill someone by pitching Draco to Volrath the Fallen.
[  ] win with 0 permanents in play. I have been SO close to this one and, but for some life gain in response, would have achieved it. I'll get there one day.

I also have another one:

[  ] Get an opponent to win, but using a method of my choice (think Zedruu the Greathearted shenanigans).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:04:36 pm by jlutzxinc »

Xaarvaxus

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 05:44:51 pm »
'Goals' by deck, and not listing every deck, just the ones that have more than 'smash you' goals/win conditions.

Aminatou, the Fateshifter: uses top deck manipulation and blinking to set up mostly alternate win conditions

[X] Win thru milling out the table with Aminatou/Altar of the Brood/Felidar Guardian combo
[X] Win thru casting Approach of the Second Sun twice
[  ] Win thru Mechanized Production (have only played this deck once since adding this in)
[  ] Win thru Revel in Riches (I've gotten to seven treasures twice and was taken out both times because the table sensed Revel coming)
[  ] Win by stealing someone's commander with Hostage Taker and dealing enough 'commander' damage to take everyone else out.

Tasigur, the Golden Fang: lands matter that typically looks to power up either Torment of Hailfire or Villainous Wealth

[X] Kill the table with Torment of Hailfire
[  ] Kill the table with a crippling Villainous Wealth, but lots of bad luck with the card.  There's usually one more counter than I can deal with or oddly hit nothing/too little to seal the win.
[  ] Have every land in the deck in play.
[  ] Kill the table with zombie tokens created from Field of the Dead.  Haven't played the deck since adding so not sure how likely.

Zedruu, the Greathearted: group hug deck that is low on win-cons or ways to pull 'combos' together

[  ] Kill someone with Zedruu after having swapped their life total with Axis of Mortality.  Its really the ultimate insult
[  ] Steal a Phage the Untouchable with Captivating Crew and then kill the table by hitting Phage with Fractured Identity  [have to convince someone to make a deck with Phage in it...]
[  ] Kill the table with Psychosis Crawler
[  ] Kill an opponent with the tokens soldiers from Akroan Horse
[  ] Kill an opponent with something spicy returned 'at random' with Wildfire Devils
[  ] End a game where each opponent has 3 or more creatures in play and all have bribery counters from Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 09:49:04 pm »
[X] My favorite so far, was making a deal live another turn if I gave the game to a friend who was going to kill me, and then using Reprocess to deck myself.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 10:08:33 am »
[  ] Defeat an entire multiplayer table with non-Infect Commander damage in a single combat.  Bonus points for doing this to more than three opponents and/or doing so without independently beating someone without it (e.g. their health is below 21).
I've now goldfished this one...in fact I've done one better.  I can now defeat INFINITELY MANY people in a single ATTACK, and yes, WITHOUT Infect.  Obviously I need some more testing, but I already have several backup plans.

I also have another new one:

[  ] Complete a minimum of three goals from among those in this thread in a single game.  Five would be really nice.