deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

Without prior knowledge of the decks you're up against, what CMC would you try to get these cards to stop?

6 or higher

Author Topic: CMC for Chalice and Prelate  (Read 836 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
CMC for Chalice and Prelate
« on: December 06, 2020, 03:50:23 pm »
Chalice of the Void and Sanctum Prelate aren't used that often in commander, but I figure I'll ask anyway. If you were playing one of these cards, and you didn't know much about the decks you're going up against, which CMC would you try to get these cards to stop? Back when Flash Hulk was a thing I would set Sanctum Prelate to "2", but now I want to know what the best choice for a day-to-day situation is.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: CMC for Chalice and Prelate
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 04:18:06 pm »
In an unknown meta I think I'd still probably go 2. It tends to be an amount of mana people are generally happy to leave open and therefore a lot of counters and removal occupy the 2cmc slots. Unless you're after protection from something very specific, 2 seems like a safe bet.

UgandanShuckle

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 04:40:14 pm »
Most of the top counters are two mana. Setting it to two renders those spells null.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 04:51:04 pm »
2. We're stopping stuff like Thassa's Oracle, best counterspells, Dramatic Scepter, some of the better ramp, tutors, and I have a feeling like it's the second most common CMC in non-cEDH metas - most common being 3. Plus, paying 4 for Chalice of the Void isn't prohibitively high. Another option would be 1 because it stops the top tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Worldly Tutor and Mystical Tutor but I think that would be my choice in a high power / cEDH meta. A Turn 1 Chalice for 0 would also put a stop to fast mana that costs 0 so that's another option - this could potentially cripple nongreen decks badly. It would also stop Pacts. But overall my best bet would be 2, because it's a slot that is populated by broken combos, win conditions and ramp. Unfortunately the better draw spells have very varying CMCs so I can't stop them from happening.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 01:30:53 am »
In a competitive environment, I'd probably play Chalice at 1 (most of the times, you'll get to 4 mana too late anyway) and Prelate at 2.
In a more casual environment, I won't play Chalice at all. I won't probably play Prelate either (it's quite on the "mean" side of the spectrum, to me), but if I do, I'll probably choose 3. It depends on the removals I expect to encounter, though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:32:34 am by crimsonking »

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 05:28:31 pm »
I really want to try making a deck based entirely around cloning Sanctum Prelate and causing extreme pain. It would be a bant deck with other game-enders like Decree of Silence + Solemnity.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo