deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Kaldheim Spoilers  (Read 11682 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Kaldheim Spoilers
« on: December 15, 2020, 11:00:57 pm »

Ranar, the Ever-Watchful
2WU
Legendary Creature - Spirit Warrior
Flying, vigilance

The first card you foretell each turn costs {snow} to foretell.

Whenever you exile one or more cards from your hand and/or permanents from the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.

2/3

Larhril, Blade of the Elves
2BG
Legendary Creature - Elf Noble
Menace

Whenever Larhril deals combat damage to a player, create that many 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature tokens.

T, Tap ten untapped elves you control: Each opponent loses 10 life and you gain 10 life.

ekans_

• Decks
Re: Kaldheim Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:07:11 pm »

We have to speculate on what that ability / keyword does!

Feels like scrying, but maybe without the possibility to bottom?

Also the first card seems pretty neat for Soulherder.

pizzaplanet

• i like dinosaurs
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 11:16:10 pm »
Seeing as the commander focuses on exiling cards from hand, I'd say foretell is an alternate casting cost for certain cards, like spectacle. Not sure what the condition would be for using the alternate cost. Could be along the lines of: The foretold card is exiled into a "foretell" zone, spells in a player's "foretell" zone are cast on their upkeep.

That'd be my guess. Could be extremely powerful, but similar to Gavi, Nest Warden, there is a small pool of cards that are extremely efficient with the ability since they must have a "foretell" casting cost.
:^)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 11:20:08 pm »

We have to speculate on what that ability / keyword does!

Foretell sounds a lot like Forecast, from cards like Skyscribing. And judging by the rest of the text in that card, I think it has something to do with exiling cards in your hand. Maybe you can Foretell a card for a lesser mana cost to exile it, and then have it cast itself on your upkeep. Kinda like rebound but without getting cast the first time.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 12:11:19 am »
Okay, so no one is going to be surprised by this, but I'm fucking pumped for Larhril.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ezuri just got beat out as my favorite elf combo deck.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:12:59 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 01:00:30 am »
I read in a speculative article they believe foretell would work similar to adventure except if you foretell a card it will get an extra effect.

Keep in mind that was pure speculative but to me that sounds plausible and honestly I think if it does it would be pretty cool.

My thought if this is the case is maybe you pay to do something small then cast the main spell with x reduced which x is equal to the foretell cost.  Which would virtually allow you to "bank the mana" if you will.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 03:02:30 am »
Ezuri just got beat out as my favorite elf combo deck.

But hear me out, Sly. They're different. We don't have to pick and choose. They win in completely different ways.

I'm excited because she feels super different and new. I'll probably build her intentionally more casually (no tutors, a lot more focused on her), and will aim to win by creating a bunch of tokens + her activated ability (Seedborn Muse, as is customary, is disgusting).

I'm keeping both. I think Ezuri is still the "stronger" of the two, but I think she would probably be a lot more welcome and more "fair" in regular pods, which could give me nice options power level-wise when I want to play Elves specifically.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 04:37:44 am »
I don't think you understand. As far as my elfball list goes, Larhril wins in almost exactly the same way, WITH ACCESS TO BLACK TUTORS.

A win with Ezuri for me looks like: create an infinite untap loop, make infinite mana, cast Ezuri, pump, win.
A win with Larhril will look like: create an infinite untap loop, get 10 elves, have Larhril/cast hasty Larhril, win.

Now, I get access to black, I can win at instant speed assuming a flash outlet or enough elves to finish the table (tokens would help here), and I no longer rely on combat. Obviously, I'm going to need to do quite a bit of testing since I'm basically starting from nothing again, but I imagine this list is going to be very similar to Ezuri with a better tutor package, better removal, access to meaningful recursion, access to more draw effects, a less vulnerable win, and lesser reliance on luck of the draw.

Still probably too slow and too many parts for cEDH, but maybe not. This commander has me more excited than any I've seen since I first found Scion of the Ur-Dragon.

EDIT: Also, Shaman of the Pack and a bounce effect is an equally good alternate win condition, again without reliance on combat.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 04:40:06 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 02:34:54 pm »
I don't think you understand. As far as my elfball list goes, Larhril wins in almost exactly the same way, WITH ACCESS TO BLACK TUTORS.

A win with Ezuri for me looks like: create an infinite untap loop, make infinite mana, cast Ezuri, pump, win.
A win with Larhril will look like: create an infinite untap loop, get 10 elves, have Larhril/cast hasty Larhril, win.

Now, I get access to black, I can win at instant speed assuming a flash outlet or enough elves to finish the table (tokens would help here), and I no longer rely on combat. Obviously, I'm going to need to do quite a bit of testing since I'm basically starting from nothing again, but I imagine this list is going to be very similar to Ezuri with a better tutor package, better removal, access to meaningful recursion, access to more draw effects, a less vulnerable win, and lesser reliance on luck of the draw.

Still probably too slow and too many parts for cEDH, but maybe not. This commander has me more excited than any I've seen since I first found Scion of the Ur-Dragon.

EDIT: Also, Shaman of the Pack and a bounce effect is an equally good alternate win condition, again without reliance on combat.
I don't really want to look at your list yet (I want to make my list before looking at yours, but end of semester tests are currently smacking my ass like a bongo drum), but infinite untaps in Ezuri is usually in the form of a single creature, while killing the table with Larhril requires you to either have infinite untaps for your entire board or 30 other elves and infinite untaps for Larhril. Unless you don't intend for her to be your win. Since you have a load of tutors now, Ezuri could still be the win con, just from within the deck. That could be interesting.

Anyway, you let me know what your plans for your part of Ezuri's primer will be now that Larhril been spoiled. No rush, just lmk once you know.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 08:14:13 pm »
What do you make of this new, freshly spoiled legend?

Magda, Brazen Outlaw (rare)
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Berserker - 1R
Other Dwarves you control get +1/+0.
Whenever a Dwarf you control becomes tapped, create a Treasure token.
Sacrifice five Treasures: Search your library for an artifact or Dragon card, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
(2/1)

So tribes are a huge part of Kaldheim, with Dwarves (boros) Angels (orzhov) Giants (izzet) Elves (Golgari) and Shapeshifters (simic) having new tribal support. Beyond that, I believe other tribes will get something, and I'm hopeful for something more for the Dragon tribe.

Vehicles are returning, and I also think that there will be class support as well (berserker, wizard, shaman, etc.)
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 08:35:39 pm »
I love tribal, so I love sets like this. Super pumped. Magda feels strong, but being mono red stinks. 

Elven Ambush is fantastic in both Ezuri and potentially Larhril, but Pyre of Heroes feels like WotC were afraid to print another Birthing Pod. It has to be exactly 1 CMC more, share a creature type, and can only be activated at sorcery speed. Canopy Tactician really has me disappointed. 4 mana for that effect is just meh to me. To spend 4 mana on a creature who's main purpose is to make mana, I want something like Karametra's Acolyte, which has potential to make absurd amounts of mana.

STARBREAKER111

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 09:35:50 pm »
canopy tactician is basically llanowar tribe with an anthem stapled to it for 1 extra mana

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 10:21:58 pm »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 10:29:11 pm »
canopy tactician is basically llanowar tribe with an anthem stapled to it for 1 extra mana
Yup! And in my eyes, Llanowar Tribe is barely playable. Barely. And an anthem effect doesn't really add much. I only like anthem effects when they come with other things. Elvish Champion gives Forestwalk, which can be important for getting damage through, Elvish Archdruid is this, but just better in almost all situations, and Imperious Perfect creates extremely valuable tokens at a fantastic rate. Also, all of these lords I just mentioned are 3 mana, not 4.

Elves already has access to a load of mana generators, so I just don't think that Canopy Tactician does anything special. Maybe in constructed formats, but I judge cards based on the Eternal card pool, and...eh. Maybe, I'm misjudging, but this is my gut reaction.

Realmwalker, though, Realmwalker. That's kinda sexy. 29 elves in Ezuri and 26 in Kumena. I think that's a slam-dunk in both (especially Kumena, as I can look at my top card, cast it if it's a Merfolk, draw it with a Kumena activation if it isn't, and repeat) :o. Feel to hit me with some stats, though, and explain why I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:33:06 pm by WizardSpartan »

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 11:36:56 pm »
[...] but Pyre of Heroes feels like WotC were afraid to print another Birthing Pod. It has to be exactly 1 CMC more, share a creature type, and can only be activated at sorcery speed.

I dont thin the Pyre is that bad. The CMC limitation is the same as the birthing pod. Then it has limitations for both creature type and casting time, BUT it costs only 2 mana for playing and its colorless, therefore you can also use it in non-green decks.
So maybe usable in a Bx aristocrat themed deck with tribal synergies? Thats just the first thing popping up in my mind for this.

Magda, Brazen Outlaw gives me some hope that I can reassamble my Depala, Pilot Exemplar deck on a higher powerlevel. The deck itself was fun, but both Dwarf and Vehicle tribal cards just allowed very casual builds.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.