deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Breeches & Malcolm | Budget Arcane Adaptation Storm  (Read 157 times)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Breeches & Malcolm | Budget Arcane Adaptation Storm
« on: December 17, 2020, 07:51:02 pm »
List: https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1858283-breeches-brazen-plunderer-malc#show_description

So I saw this played on MTG Muddstah, and knew I had to try. I'm a fan of storm, I just have had difficulty building it within my budget level because storm decks are very resource and mana-intensive, but a lot of the best options are just expensive. This deck trades a lot of the monetary cost that comes with a good storm deck and replaces it with a little more clunkiness. That's fine by me though, as I've been looking for a more fun, inconsistent deck to add to my current ones.

How it works: Get a pinger like Electrostatic Field or Firebrand Archer into play, and turn them into a Pirate with an effect like Trickery Charm, Artificial Evolution. Play Malcolm and Breeches. Then, go to town. Cast a bunch of cheap instants and sorceries, and each time, your pinger will hit each opponent, Malcolm will give you 3 treasures (making many of your spells go mana positive, especially ones that can be cast from your gy) and Breeches will exile the top card of each opponent's library.

Also, there are infinite combos like Malcolm + Glint-Horn Buccaneer or Malcolm + Reckless Fireweaver + Arcane Adaptation (or a similar effect) that end the game right then and there.

Let me know what you think! Any suggestions? I want to keep it budget, so let's not go above $10 a card.

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Breeches & Malcolm | Budget Arcane Adaptation Storm
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 08:19:47 pm »
Pirate storm sounds cool. If you want other budget storm decks, check out Toshiro Umezawa. I have a list for him, but you can cut some of the tutors, the expensive ramp and lands, and a couple of the rare draw options like Top and Scroll Rack. That would leave the deck pretty cheap unless I'm forgetting something. It mostly abuses cheap removal spells that you can chain together to storm off, eventually getting Bolas's Citadel and Aetherflux Reservoir.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Breeches & Malcolm | Budget Arcane Adaptation Storm
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 08:31:23 pm »
Pirate storm sounds cool. If you want other budget storm decks, check out Toshiro Umezawa. I have a list for him, but you can cut some of the tutors, the expensive ramp and lands, and a couple of the rare draw options like Top and Scroll Rack. That would leave the deck pretty cheap unless I'm forgetting something. It mostly abuses cheap removal spells that you can chain together to storm off, eventually getting Bolas's Citadel and Aetherflux Reservoir.
I took a look, and making it budget makes it eh like most regular storm lists in my eyes. In mono black, the main way to get a lot of mana is Cabal Coffers or similar effects, and they are generally not easy on the wallet. I'd have to replace roundabout 1/4 of the deck and I honestly don't know what I would replace them with.

It's definitely interesting (I knew Toshiro existed, but never thought of them as a potential Storm deck), but I think blue is just too good for the bread and butter cheap cantrips (red is definitely nice also).