deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Too many deckbuilding options with Solemnity  (Read 493 times)

ekans_

• Decks
Too many deckbuilding options with Solemnity
« on: December 20, 2020, 12:35:16 am »
Okay guys,

today I took on my project of building a deck around Solemnity. I already knew I just had to include Nine Lives and Phyrexian Unlife, so I instantly did. To protect me from non-combat based decks as well, I included Leyline of Sanctity, so now I was immune against burn and mill, too, if I draw the right cards.
It wasn't much of a question that I should protect my Enchantments in case I encounter the one human on earth playing Cleansing Nova in modern, so I packed Alseid of Life's Bounty.

So I was thinking about how I should win. There is just so many options:
- Konstellation / Enchantment Tribal
- A combo with Kitchen Finks and Solemnity
- Just go for full prison and play it down boring with Approach of the Second Sun
- Ad Nauseam / Death's Shadow with the Phyrexian Unlife and Nine Lives plus Solemnity combo

I am playing with the idea of just building a deck for each one of those possibilites.

Do you have an opinion on what I should rather build? Do you know more synergies to build around with Solemnity, that I didn't see? Let me know ^^
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 12:36:47 am by ekans_ »

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Too many deckbuilding options with Solemnity
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 02:21:50 am »
For the record, Alseid of Life's Bounty won't stop Cleansing Nova. Protection from [color] prevents the protected permanent from being blocked, targeted, or damaged by [color] spells. Since Cleansing Nova doesn't target, it would still hit your enchantments. Same with any board wipe.

As for Solemnity combos, there's a ton of them. In EDH, common combos are Decree of Silence or an aristocrats loop with an undying/persist creature. For modern, I'd assume something like Yahenni, Undying Partisan and Geralf's Messenger would work?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 02:25:50 am by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Hzvmtg

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 05:39:17 pm »
Any cards that have a harmful Cumulative Upkeep benefits from solemnity. It is also a sneaky in a superfriends deck running counter ramps (doubling effects, proliferate, etc)

Jacobhahn46

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 07:59:32 pm »
Just wanted to point out that Ad Nauseum does not work with Nine Lives because losing life isn't the same as receiving a source of damage.
(119.2b). Spells that cause loss of life do not cause damage. Instead, they go around damage and just cause the loss of life.

However with the Phyrexian Unlife it works just fine.

ekans_

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 10:47:20 pm »
Okay thanks people for the good feedback.

This is how my deck turned out now:

https://deckstats.net/decks/160540/1860870-persisting-mill

crimsonking

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 04:11:53 pm »
Solemnity comboes with Luminous Broodmoth too.
It is a decent creature by itself, it's in-color with your deck, none of your other creatures have flying...