deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: J.R.R TOKENING EDH/Commander - Comments  (Read 225 times)

Comment Bot

Pantheon

• Decks
Re: J.R.R TOKENING EDH/Commander - Comments
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 02:32:16 pm »
Great deck you have there! I was going to suggest Rest in Peace. Since you don't have triggers on death and your tokens can't be brought back anyway. Net advantage for you overall because it negates reanimate decks, recall and flashback mechanics. The only thing you'll lose out on in Skullclamp though.

mjb3102

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 04:43:24 pm »
At one point I did run RIP but I felt it was ultimately a sideboard card due to my meta running little to no graveyard recursion. Plus, at one point we did have a few decks that used RIP to combo and win with Helm of Obedience so I didn't want to give them half of their combo! But overall I agree with your assessment that it would be a net gain if going up against any graveyard manipulation.Thanks for the comment!

jadecocoon

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 08:17:38 pm »
Why not use cards like Eldrazi Monument or Akroma's Will ?

mjb3102

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 10:34:16 pm »
I used to run Eldrazi Monument in a previous version of this deck. While it can be very useful, I cut it for a few reasons:
- It puts pressure on the deck to make at least 1 token a turn to break even, which isn't always as easy as it sounds (especially without a token generator)
- 5 CMC is a lot for something that might not always be useful. Other 5 CMC cards in the deck include Seedborn Muse (allows me to combo off/generate a lot of mana), Elder Gargaroth (big body that can be a token generator or card draw), Doubling Season (makes all of my incoming token double), Divine Visitation (makes incoming tokens bigger/flying), etc. You could make the argument that Doubling Season and Divine visitation can also be not useful if I am low on cards/not producing tokens, but they at least are value for later turns unlike Eldrazi Monument which tends to be a "use it now to win/protect" card.
- Lastly, I alluded to this in the previous point but it just feels "win more" in this deck; +1/+1 and flying most times aren't going to win you the game unless you already have a 10+ tokens, which by then you already are gaining steam with Rhys the Redeemed doubling or just win via Scale Up, Beastmaster Ascension, Craterhoof Behemoth, etc.

Not a bad card by any means, just felt other cards offered more value.

I don't have a good answer for Akroma's Will. I will need to consider it/play test it. Thanks for the comment!