deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Building a Vaevictis Threatboard  (Read 372 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Building a Vaevictis Threatboard
« on: January 11, 2021, 04:10:54 pm »
A little while back a friend of mine built a threatboard deck. The idea is that you have a main board of 85 cards or so, and then several "threatboards" of 15 cards, which all share a theme. At the beginning of each game, you swap in a random threatboard which determines how your deck will play.

I've decided to make a Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire threatboard, mostly because I can never figure out which direction I want to take that commander. The deck is featured below. Because this is new territory, I could use suggestions for changes to the main board, cards to include in each threatboard, and new ideas for threatboards. So far I only have 6 threatboards and I'd like a few more.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Because this is a Primal Surge deck, there can't be any instants or sorceries other than Primal Surge.

https://deckstats.net/decks/82803/1870188-vaevictis-threat-board

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Building a Vaevictis Threatboard
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 04:21:05 pm »
OK, hear me out...

14 Rat Colony and a Thunderfoot Baloth...

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 05:53:22 pm »
OK, hear me out...

14 Rat Colony and a Thunderfoot Baloth...
The only valid threatboard.

I really like the concept of having a modular theme package (I've heard about it for Mayael the Anima decks, too), as I feel like it's a great way to keep a deck entertaining and fresh.

You seem to have most of the aspects of Vaevictis covered, but I have a few ideas:

Extra Combats: I see a few extra combat cards already in your deck, but you could lean heavier into the theme. A mix of extra combat cards like Moraug, Fury of Akoum, Scourge of the Throne, Breath of Fury, Hellkite Charger, and Port Razer and attack triggers like Grave Titan, Hanweir Garrison, Grand Warlord Radha, etc. could be cool.

Theft: Steal your opponents' stuff and then sac it with Vaevictus. Guaranteed to make you friends.*

Topdeck Shenanigans: A combination of topdeck manipulators like Scroll Rack, Sensei's Divining Top, Mirri's Guile, and Sylvan Library and giant haymakers could be hilarious.

*Won't actually make you friends. Void when prohibited.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 06:39:07 pm »
Theft is something I'd like to try, but I couldn't find enough good theft effects. Most of the good ones are Planeswalkers, which I've included in a different threatboard. I might make another stab at it.

Extra combat is a good idea. I'll see what I can do in that regard.

For top-deck manipulation, I think I would rather just integrate it into the main deck. It would be a useful addition to all strategies.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 06:55:25 pm »
Theft is something I'd like to try, but I couldn't find enough good theft effects. Most of the good ones are Planeswalkers, which I've included in a different threatboard. I might make another stab at it.

Extra combat is a good idea. I'll see what I can do in that regard.

For top-deck manipulation, I think I would rather just integrate it into the main deck. It would be a useful addition to all strategies.
When thinking about theft effects, I forgot you could only include permanents. Yeah, that might not work well.

While I agree that topdeck manipulation is good no matter what kind of deck, I'm mainly thinking about going overboard with it. Tutors like Conduit of Ruin & Brutalizer Exarch paired with Blightsteel Colossus, Ancient Stone Idol, and the Eldrazi titans to allow you basically turn mana rocks or tokens into game-ending threats.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:49 pm »
For theft, you could just use Captivating crew and old karn. Then the rest of your pile is an infinite mana combo and a goblin cannon. Once you've got infinite mana and stolen everyones creatures and artifacts, the other permanent types are unlikely to matter all that much. Goblin cannon is for backup.