deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Lore Speculation for 2021  (Read 886 times)

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
Lore Speculation for 2021
« on: January 21, 2021, 06:44:30 pm »
Hello everyone, it's time for lore speculation! With Vorniclex on Kladheim, things begin to get interesting, since Strixhaven seems rather blue-aligned, like Jin-Gitaxis, and Innistrad is black-aligned, like Sheoldred. Many have speculated that we'll find new versions of the praetors on several of the sets this year, but a key part was missing. How DID Vorniclex get to Kaldheim? Well, today on DailyMTG, we got a clue saying that "when he arrived, he had lost all organic material," and only the metal and bone remained. A random stag sniffed around the pile, and Vorniclex stanched the stag's flesh, and continued this way until he was at the top of the food chain. Only inorganic material can pass through things like the Planar Bridge without disintegrating, meaning that the Phyrexians have some sort of inter-planar technology.
Scary.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Shredwick

• EDH
  • Decks
Re: Lore Speculation for 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 06:57:29 pm »
Rainbow Bridge malfunction
A single victory is all I need.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 07:19:38 pm »
Here's my lore question ...

What is the nature of the 10 realms of Kaldheim?

Are they 10 unique plains that were somehow united by the World Tree?  Did they used to be one single plain that became broken, like Alara?

Each would have its own implications for the storyline.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Cosmic_Insight

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 05:50:05 pm »
Well, episode 5 of the Kaldheim story just came out, and yes we all predicted that there was an all-out battle. However, this is pretty much nothing compared to the epilogue...

Basically, Vorinclex somehow finds Esika in the tyrite sanctum, where she makes the cosmos elixir. And here's the end:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To her surprise, it produced one of her own bottles. It must have taken one from her during their fight. She watched it dip the bottle into the well and hold it up to the light. Inside, the sap of the World Tree shimmered with all the colors of the realms. The most beautiful thing in this world—in any world, as far as Esika was concerned. If the monster was moved, it showed no sign.

"Sample acquired," it said, in that stitched-together voice. "I am ready to return."

To whom it was speaking, Esika had no idea.

The light in the room seemed to be fading, or maybe that was just her vision going out around the edges. Suddenly, there was a bright, strobing light in the center of the chamber—a hissing, sparking red glow that began as a single star and spread, slowly, into a circle. The circle widened—this was no Omenpath, she could see now. It was magic she had never seen before.

From the other side of the portal came a sound so unearthly and strange, she almost didn't recognize it as a voice: "Welcome back, Vorinclex. We step ever closer to perfection."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elesh Norn? Is that you? What do the Phyrexians have in store for Strixhaven and Innistrad in 2021?

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 03:10:02 pm »
It's like a reverse Terminator portal: instead of no exposed metal passing through, it's no exposed flesh. :P

Joking aside, I hope something interesting is done with white in Strixhaven. Perhaps an order of mages who practice and perfect white's signature protective magics, their near-invulnerability making them somewhat haughty rather than humble. Good-natured but they charge for their mystical services (treasure). Tight-knit and expert at working in tandem (convoke). Always ready to duel the "out of control" mages of other schools (counterspells and asymmetrical hatebears). Masters of magical warfare (efficient removal).

You know, something other than "when White Mage enters the battlefield, gain 3 life".

With green somehow getting the god of kinship in Kaldheim, why not lean into white's warrior side in Strixhaven? Battlemages, ho!

(Yes, there is a 99.9% chance that WotC will disappoint in this regard.)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 06:10:55 pm »
We all know that Strixhaven is going to be a Hogwarts rip-off right? Like that's not going to surprise anyone? Okay cool, here are my predictions for the houses... I mean... schools of magic.

White is going to end up being Hufflepuff because they are both bloody useless.

Black is gonna be like Slytherin, obviously. Everyone knows that we call the kids "ambitious" because it would be wrong to call them "evil".

The blue school will be those pretentious Ravenclaws, who think they're so special because they can say big words.

Red is often associated with being reckless and not following the rules, so that's Griffindor naturally. "I know your best friends crashed a car into a tree last year, and the year before that you lit a teacher on fire, but here, have this time-travel bauble. What could go wrong?"

And that leaves green to be ... Hagrid?

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 06:14:29 pm »
Imagine if the only green card in the set was just a legendary creature named Hagrid

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 07:23:23 pm »
I figured green would just be the forest next to the school, full of plenty of magical monstrosities trying to eat the kids.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Cosmic_Insight

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 07:33:14 pm »
"I know your best friends crashed a car into a tree last year, and the year before that you lit a teacher on fire, but here, have this time-travel bauble. What could go wrong?"

Yes, the timetwister. Oh wait, that's Magic. I mean Time walk.
Also magic.

Timeturner?

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 08:15:06 pm »
"I know your best friends crashed a car into a tree last year, and the year before that you lit a teacher on fire, but here, have this time-travel bauble. What could go wrong?"

Yes, the timetwister. Oh wait, that's Magic. I mean Time walk.
Also magic.

Timeturner?

Time Sieve.

Actually, here's something else to consider. Do you remember the familiar cycle from Commander Legends?

Anara, Wolvid Familiar
Esior, Wardwing Familiar
Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar
Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar
Keleth, Sunmane Familiar

Look in the backgrounds for the art of Esior and Falthis. You can see spires and bookcases, staples of fantasy wizard castles. It's possible that all of these creatures are from Strixhaven.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 08:18:42 pm »
The blue school will be those pretentious Ravenclaws, who think they're so special because they can say big words.

I think we can definitely expect something like Hogwarts houses in Strixhaven, considering how popular Ravnica and the 10 guilds are.

Might be a little cliche/cheesy, but it will be popular, no doubt.