deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

Which Omnath is the best commander for a lands deck?

Locus of Mana
0 (0%)
Locus of Rage
7 (31.8%)
Locus of the Roil
5 (22.7%)
Locus of Creation
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 16, 2021, 02:52:00 am

Author Topic: Who's the Best Omnath?  (Read 830 times)

Slyvester12

• Decks
Who's the Best Omnath?
« on: February 11, 2021, 02:52:00 am »
I love Omnath. The original came out right around when I started playing, and my favourite casual edh deck is a gruul landfall deck with the second iteration. Ever since four color Omnath was spoiled, I've wanted to update the deck to use the new commander, but I'm not sure. Who do you think is the best Omnath for running a lands deck?
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: Who's the Best Omnath?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:49:06 am »
Objectively, 4 color Omnath is the best, hands-down.

Subjectively, Gruul Omnath is the most fun. You've got shenanigans with his last ability, he's actually exciting to build (rather than just 4 color lands goodstuff goes brrr), etc.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 01:44:05 pm »
I agree with WizardSpartan that four-color Omnath is the most powerful, not in the least because all his previous iterations can be played in the 99. And the removal, and manaproduction do help as well.... But I think all versions can be played with succes and enjoyment, as long as you make use of the specific strenghts and make up or compensate for it's weaknesses.

Because I allready started building on my three-color Omnath deck when four-color Omnath was released (and also because of it's pricetag) I am sticking with that Omnath. It started as an elemental tribal deck and is now a voltron superfriends deck. I'm probably losing most of the planeswalkers exept for the ones that do something with elementals or make elemental tokens (I still have to get all Chandra's except for Chandra, novice pyromancer) and go more on Voltron and elemental tokens (with Valduk, keeper of the flame and Tilonalli's Summoner). It's probably not the most optimized version of three-color Omnath, but I want to try something different. I have almost killed a player with commanderdamage, so it's not completely ridiculous ;). If you have (budget) suggestions I would be very gratefull.

https://deckstats.net/decks/104951/1927110-omnath-voltron-superfriends/en

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 04:28:38 pm »
I like Locus of Rage. It has the best and simplest of synergies. Do massive damage to your opponents as quickly as possible. Very quick aggro deck with 0 durdling effects.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 04:47:23 pm »
For reference:

Because of the plague I haven't had a chance to see Locus of Creation in action, although it does seem to be the strongest. I know that with Creation and Roil you can make semi-decent Food Chain decks, but most people don't do that. Locus of Mana has never impressed me, as there are much better green ramp decks. Locus of Rage plays exactly like every other gruul-stompy deck I've come across, so it's never impressed me.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 06:05:35 pm »
To add some context, I like Locus of Creation because of the color access and low cmc, but I'm worried that capping its utility at three lands per turn without a bounce or flicker effect makes it less abusable than something like Locus of Rage.

My current deck uses Locus of Rage, token doublers, and effects like Warstorm Surge and Where Ancients Tread to do lots of damage off of big ramp spells. It's a very casual timmy  deck that occasionally does something splashy like Scapeshift into Splendid Reclamation for 15 Valakut the Molten Pinnacle triggers.

I'm interested in adding blue and potentially white for obvious reasons, but I'm worried that adding more colors and having less straightforward strategies will do more harm than good. I'm still planning to keep this as my most casual deck (though it does make use of Doubling Season and other powerful effects), so I'm more interested in good synergies than full on combos. I have enough combo decks of various jank levels to want a grindy value deck as a side option.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 06:28:19 pm »
I actually like Omnath, Locus of the Roil because it draws cards off of lands. I like draw effects on commanders. I think that makes the rest of the 99 more relevant and powerful and it's not necessary to execute your game plan with your commander. Other than that Omnath, Locus of Creation might still be the most powerful out of these.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 06:32:12 pm »
I personally like Locus of Rage the best. While it is objectively worse than new iterations of Omnath, there's a lot to be said for LoR, Lotus Cobra, Perilous Forays and just machine gunning people to death. I get why people like 3+ colour good stuff commanders because they're, you know, good, but give me narrow jank any day.

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 06:08:15 pm »
My personal favorite is Omnath, Locus of Rage. It was one of my first decks to create. I like landfall decks, and this has been an enjoyable one for me.

Though it is super-flexible Omnath, Locus of Creation has not been as fun as I thought. I was really excited for it when it was spoiled, but I have not enjoyed my games with it. I feel like it does a little too much and pulls in different directions. For me, finding a tight enough focus for it has been a challenge.

If I had to rank them it would be:
1 - Rage
2 - Mana
3 - Creation
4 - Roil
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:20:59 pm by Mynus »