deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What to make of Egon, God of Death // Throne of Death  (Read 547 times)

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
What to make of Egon, God of Death // Throne of Death
« on: February 12, 2021, 10:44:09 am »
Hey guys,

just for the artwork (especially the alternate art) I really love Egon, God of Death // Throne of Death and want to make him a commander. Here comes the problem:

I can't come up with a solid way of playing him. The most utility might come out of the Throne-side being cast turn one and filling the graveyard constantly for payoffs like reanimation. But other than that - and maybe stupid voltron - I don't see a good way of dedicating a whole deck to him.

Does anyone has an idea what to do with him?  ::)

________

I would even take ideas for other highly synergistic cards like Desecrated Tomb or Tormod, the Desecrator.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:14:32 am by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: What to make of Egon, God of Death // Throne of Death
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 03:01:24 pm »
Tormod and either Ghost of Ramirez DePietro or Glacian, Powerstone Engineer?

With some self-mill effects like Mesmeric Orb (and Egon's flip side), along with automatic reshuffle effects like the Eldrazi Titans and Blightsteel Colossus, you could potentially create multiple tokens per turn. Using Syr Konrad could be a nice way of dealing damage while churning through your deck, and depending on the blue commander, you could either retrieve specific pieces or dig for cards while filling the graveyard.

This strategy might be better with Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix, though. Access to green would give you Gaea's Blessing and token doubling effects.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 03:11:01 pm »

With some self-mill effects like Mesmeric Orb (and Egon's flip side), along with automatic reshuffle effects like the Eldrazi Titans and Blightsteel Colossus, you could potentially create multiple tokens per turn. Using Syr Konrad could be a nice way of dealing damage while churning through your deck, and depending on the blue commander, you could either retrieve specific pieces or dig for cards while filling the graveyard.

This strategy might be better with Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix, though. Access to green would give you Gaea's Blessing and token doubling effects.

Thanks for your input. I want Egon to be the commander which excludes other color's than black. So besides Mesmeric Orb as additional mill effect, there is not much could see fitting here.  :-\
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 03:19:54 pm »

Thanks for your input. I want Egon to be the commander which excludes other color's than black. So besides Mesmeric Orb as additional mill effect, there is not much could see fitting here.  :-\

My bad. Thought you meant you were open to deck ideas around Tormod and Desecrated Tomb if not Egon.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 03:48:00 pm »

My bad. Thought you meant you were open to deck ideas around Tormod and Desecrated Tomb if not Egon.

Maybe it was likely to be missunderstood. I meant that I would also be fine with just good synergy cards instead of complete deck ideas. ;D
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 05:00:51 pm »
I also am intrigued by Egon's backside other side, and I think you could just build a simple mono black mill deck with payoffs like Tormod and Tomb. The only problem I see is finishing the game out. Obviously, you could just go the big mana build, slapping in Cabal Coffers and co. and Exsanguinate & Torment of Hailfire to call it a day, but that's boring to me.

What about Necrotic Ooze combos? I'm not particularly experienced with mono black Necrotic Ooze combos, so the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Triskelion + Phyrexian Devourer, and that seems a bit inconsistent.

Maybe just include a heavy reanimator package? Do a lot of self-milling, exile irrelevant creatures with Throne of Death to draw into reanimation, then drop one of the several infinite combos black has access to?

You've definitely encouraged me to build a deck around Throne, that's for sure. I probably won't even include much of an actual win condition, either.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 05:42:09 pm »
I also am intrigued by Egon's backside other side, and I think you could just build a simple mono black mill deck with payoffs like Tormod and Tomb. The only problem I see is finishing the game out. Obviously, you could just go the big mana build, slapping in Cabal Coffers and co. and Exsanguinate & Torment of Hailfire to call it a day, but that's boring to me.

What about Necrotic Ooze combos? I'm not particularly experienced with mono black Necrotic Ooze combos, so the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Triskelion + Phyrexian Devourer, and that seems a bit inconsistent.

Maybe just include a heavy reanimator package? Do a lot of self-milling, exile irrelevant creatures with Throne of Death to draw into reanimation, then drop one of the several infinite combos black has access to?

You've definitely encouraged me to build a deck around Throne, that's for sure. I probably won't even include much of an actual win condition, either.

I'm happy having encouraged you to build a new deck for Egon or at least a new home where he can put his chair. ;D

I somehow like the idea of having some Necrotic Ooze combos alongside a good reanimator shell (Buried alive targeting Ooze and two combo pieces, into reanimate ooze sounds great !). I'll have to look up which combos are possible though, but I'll do it. :D
Oh and, thanks for your input !!
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
---------