deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Theme updates, new icons and more to come  (Read 2187 times)

Nils

• Decks
Theme updates, new icons and more to come
« on: February 14, 2021, 05:10:00 pm »
One of the most common pieces of feedback I receive about Deckstats is that the functionality is great but it just doesn't look very nice. I'm much more of a software engineer than a designer, so that doesn't come as a big surprise. But of course there is no point in building a website with amazing functionality if people just don't want to look at it!

So as a first step towards making Deckstats look a bit nicer, I have recently been working on updating a lot of the underlying code that defines our design.

This won't have a big visual impact yet, but it will enable me to make bigger changes to the colors and layout in the future.

Nevertheless, I just made a few smaller improvements and tweaks to our site. These include:
  • New icons for decks, collections, cards and more
  • Design improvements for the deck pages, and in particular for the tab bar on top
  • No more silver bars used for headings (for example in the deckbuilder)
  • Lots of small changes to fix spacing, font sizes, and making sure the page doesn't jump around while it loads
I hope that these will already improve things a bit while I continue working on things. The next step will be to make new light and dark mode themes, which I know many of you have been waiting for. And don't worry: I am planning to get help with this! :)

Until then, please let me know if you notice any problems with the current changes or if there are any minor tweaks that would make your life a lot easier already.

PS: If you have experience in web/UX design and would like to get involved, please get in touch!

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Theme updates, new icons and more to come
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 05:55:59 pm »
Hey Nils. The changes are a great start.

I've been a full stack web developer for about 10 years now and have spent probably the last 6 of those more focused on front end / design work. I've also got a few years experience in UX.

I'd be happy to get involved with any plans you might have for the future. I can't promise to dedicate any specific amount of time (working full time and home schooling two children during a global pandemic is pretty time consuming) but I'd be very enthusiastic to contribute where I could. You've built a great site and great community here and if I could help contribute towards that in any way I'd be happy to.

Nils

• Decks
Re: Theme updates, new icons and more to come
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 08:08:51 pm »
That would be great! I'll send you a message.