deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Sunder - is it ok to run it in a casual deck?  (Read 697 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Sunder - is it ok to run it in a casual deck?
« on: February 15, 2021, 10:27:36 am »
Can I get a poll for "Sunder - is it ok to run it in a casual deck?" with options "Yes!" "Depends" and "No."?

I'm planning on adding Sunder into my bounce & group draw Kami deck. It does exactly what I want it to do: slows people down, forces cards into their hands and is instant speed. It fits perfectly into the theme of my deck and it's definitely one of my win conditions. The problem is... people don't apparently like Sunder. They call it Mass Land Destruction. I don't have a direct game-winning follow-up on the same turn but it helps me win the game within the next couple of turns. Would you get annoyed if I played Sunder and did not proceed to win right away?
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

krichaiushii

• Decks
Re: Sunder - is it ok to run it in a casual deck?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 11:57:25 am »
I see no issue with Sunder, as you have a plan to win with it a few turns later.  Then again, it was a key piece of my Patron of the Moon deck.

That said, I can see the argument against it - how does your group feel about more traditional MLD like Ruination, Wave of Vitriol, and Armageddon?  Folks playing those cards with NO attempt at a win (or out of spite) has ruined MLD for many people, and now it is an inherited dislike, with just the idea of MLD upsetting people.

If you end up having to ditch Sunder, Mana Breach and Overburden are far slower, nor are they instants, but at least are controllable by individual players - if they don't want to lose land, they can stop casting spells.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 03:28:57 pm »
In general I would reccomend to play such "mass ressource denial" (fits a litte more than MLD here) only if you are able to finish off very soon afterwards.
Many people (inlcuding me) don't like being forced to build up their manabase again at turn 5+ after ramp is gone. It often feels like articical prolonging the game in stead of pushing it forward. Sure such a set back is sometimes necessary, but compared to cards like Wrath of God, it usually takes much longer to build up again.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:55:53 pm »
As long as you can win within a few turns then I’m fine with it. Where I would have a problem is if it’s done and then you just piddle along afterwards with no way to win planned out. At that point you’ve just reset the game when we’re deep into it which is just annoying.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:58:38 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 10:05:46 pm »
Hmm. Someone on Reddit said there's a difference between winning soon in real time and soon in rotations. Do you think there's a difference between me winning in a couple of minutes vs it actually taking three rotations of the table?

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 12:10:16 am »
Hmm. Someone on Reddit said there's a difference between winning soon in real time and soon in rotations. Do you think there's a difference between me winning in a couple of minutes vs it actually taking three rotations of the table?

Well.. after playing sunder, chances are great that the next rotation already feels really awful, because the people will just draw, drop a land and then most likely discard a brunch of cards. Thats what makes it feel a kinda dick move.
So yes, even if it takes the same amount of time, the feelings of the players during this time may be different. Especially if you want to kick of a longer combo chain, its easier to agree with the table that it will be done and the game is over then, without actually passing all the necessary steps, than telling them "hey, I smash your faces trough the next 3 rounds".
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 12:59:16 am »
then most likely discard a brunch of cards
In my case that's not how it goes. They'll keep all the cards due to Folio of Fancies and then take massive damage from Iron Maiden(s). So yes, it's "land, go" for them but I can also demonstrate that unless they've got more removal than I have counterspells they'll lose the game in a couple of turns. This is my dilemma: Sunder would be fine if I was able to demonstrate a win on the same turn or the turn after that but since that is not necessarily the case (i.e. may take a few turns) it might be perceived as a dick move. Then again Sunder is a definite thematical and flavour win in the deck I'm asking about. It's the Kami deck:
https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/1536141-mommy-my-hand-hurts-kami-of-th