deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: cEDH: K'rrik Primer  (Read 2137 times)

KingKia

• Decks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:04:09 pm by KingKia »

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: cEDH: K'rrik Primer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 04:37:44 pm »
It's always nice to see competitive commander decks. I do have a few questions about your primer, and then sometime later I'll go over spelling and grammar.

There are an increasing number of cEDH decks that deal incremental combat damage (Winota, Pako, Yuriko, Kalamax). Being a deck that is dependent on its life total, you are the obvious choice for attacks. Are these decks ever a problem for you? If so, how do you deal with this?

Against a Tymna deck, would you rather use K'rrik as a blocker so Tymna can't get through, or as an attacker to guarantee that you gain life?

If you're not using Cruel Bargain anymore, and therefore not trying to win with Thassa's Oracle, is there still a reason to include Praetor's Grasp? It's still a semi-decent disruptive card, but it doesn't seem to fit your more proactive strategy.

So I know why you're not using extort cards, and you know why extort is bad in K'rrik cEDH, but it's important to go over it so that the other readers understand. After all, paying two life to gain three life seems like a pretty good deal, especially during a combo loop.

Soren841

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 06:43:02 am »
Krrik would still get lifesteal from blocking
Nils is the God I worship

KingKia

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 12:45:59 pm »
Hello there !
I´ll try to Answer the questions and then add the answer in my deck description.

There are an increasing number of cEDH decks that deal incremental combat damage (Winota, Pako, Yuriko, Kalamax). Being a deck that is dependent on its life total, you are the obvious choice for attacks. Are these decks ever a problem for you? If so, how do you deal with this?

This deck is focused to Play K´rrik in turn 1-3, so normaly you will have a blocker with 2/2 lifesteal which will get bigger for each black spell you will play afterwards. for example, Tymna attacks me - I would declare K'rrik as a blocker and play a vampiric tutor before dmg, K'rrik would be a 3/3 and kill tymna. This is the reason why ppl don´t attack K'rrik just because the are a bit bigger than him because. An outapped K'rrik deck can still cast stuff. And I can play a removal and make K'rrik bigger with one spell just using life and get the life back because of the block.
Yuriko is special, she won´t attack by herself and normally just attacks someone who can´t block, she is one of the commander that should get killed fast by an removal because the dmg can be very high. As long K'rrik is on the field you can still win. So that the other players trying to kill K'rrik, instead to make dmg on me is a bigger problem. Also you can use the reanimator spell to bring back K'rrik so blocking with him isn´t a real problem.

Against a Tymna deck, would you rather use K'rrik as a blocker so Tymna can't get through, or as an attacker to guarantee that you gain life?

I would rather let K'rrik untapped to block and only attack if I really need the life to cast something. But it depends on the cards on my hand and on the decks my enemies are playing as well as the board presence of the other decks.

If you're not using Cruel Bargain anymore, and therefore not trying to win with Thassa's Oracle, is there still a reason to include Praetor's Grasp? It's still a semi-decent disruptive card, but it doesn't seem to fit your more proactive strategy.

Cruel Bargain was not the only option to win with with Thassa's Oracle. With demonic consultation you can still win with thassa, also you can just look for something else like a doomsday, peer into the abyss or just pick the Helm of the host from a godo. It is very flexible because you have 3 decks to pick something and most of them will have something. It is a cedh deck and should played against cedh decks,  most of them will play the typicall cedh cards which we can use and if not we can pick a vampiric tutor and searching in your own deck with a little detour. I like the very flexible usage of this card and it never disappointed me .

So I know why you're not using extort cards, and you know why extort is bad in K'rrik cEDH, but it's important to go over it so that the other readers understand. After all, paying two life to gain three life seems like a pretty good deal, especially during a combo loop.

It does not work as well as many people thought. For example you will drain 3 opponents, 2 instances of Extort will bring back the life lost for each Black mana in a spell’s cost. That is not even accounting for the production of colorless mana. To abuse that in K’rrik, you need Blood Celebrant to change out mana for life. This means you need 3 times the Extort life per life spent on black mana. This means that you need a lot of moving pieces to even get this started. Another problem is, what happens when you need 3 opponents to be alive to keep abusing the Extort but 1 of them dies because they had the lowest life total when you started the loop? The will loop stop. Then you need to try to win another way if you haven’t gotten your other opponents low enough to kill them before you kill yourself by continue the loop in a life-negative situation.

I hope I was able to answer the questions satisfactorily and I look forward to suggestions for improvement and discussions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:03:38 am by KingKia »

KingKia

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 09:27:54 am »
Hello everyone,
now 9 days have passed and I thought to myself I should ask if there are any questions about the deck. I continued to write out the primer section, explained the win conditions in more detail, included some cards in the single card explanation and added a few budget options.
I also took up the topic of extort and added a few win cons.

I am happy to answer further questions if there are any.