deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Unretiring and Updating my Purphoros Deck  (Read 644 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Unretiring and Updating my Purphoros Deck
« on: February 17, 2021, 08:54:45 pm »
Going to unretire and update my Purphoros deck. The only difference between it and the list posted here is that it's got Torbran, Thane of Red Fell in it instead of Skyline Despot. Any suggestions from the last few sets?

https://deckstats.net/decks/6217/430291-purphoros-god-of-the-ping
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Unretiring and Updating my Purphoros Deck
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 09:12:14 pm »
I feel like Birgi, God of Storytelling is pretty solid in any mono red deck.

The front side is a bit like a Ruby Medallion that triggers Purphoros when you cast it.
The back side is a bit like a repeatable Thrill of Possibility.

Neither of those things sound bad, and you only have to make one cut for it.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 09:54:40 pm »
Here's a quick Scryfall search I set up to get a list of new cards from 2020 or later (I'm not sure what the exact starting point would be, so 2020 is my guess): https://scryfall.com/search?q=id%3Ar+year%E2%89%A52020+f%3Aedh+-is%3Areprint&unique=cards&as=grid&order=edhrec

Deflecting Swat, Valakut Awakening, Jeska's Will, Shatterskull Smashing // Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass, Kazuul's Fury // Kazuul's Cliffs, Tectonic Giant, Court of Ire, Emberwilde Captain, Ox of Agonas, Roiling Vortex, Soulfire Eruption, Dockside Extortionist: These aren't synergistic with your deck at all, but they range from very, very good red cards to "Oh, that's cute".

Terror of the Peaks, Fiery Emancipation, Chandra's Incinerator, Impulsive Pilferer, Phyrexian Triniform (imagine all the triggers if you could ever encore this), Dwarven Mine, Chandra, Acolyte of Flame: These are the synergistic ones, a combination of token generators and damage doublers.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:44:00 pm »
Definitely some good card to pick from. Thanks guys!
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 08:52:33 pm »
Okay so I looked back through my lists and found the good cards you can play since 2019; the last time you updated this deck. These are just the good commander cards in general though, nothing specific to Purphoros.

Arcane Signet
Deflecting Swat
Dockside Extortionist
Fabled Passage
Jeweled Lotus
Prismatic Vista
War Room
Wheel of Misfortune