deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Gyruda question involving Kozilek  (Read 374 times)

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
Gyruda question involving Kozilek
« on: March 16, 2021, 08:12:06 pm »
I am considering adding Kozilek to my Gyruda, Doom of Depths deck, but...

Gyruda says, "When Gyruda enters the battlefield, each player mills four cards. Put a creature card with an even converted mana cost from among the milled cards onto the battlefield under your control."

So let's say that one of my four cards is Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. How will that work? Can Gyruda target Kozilek?
My hope is that I can target Kozilek and STILL have the shuffle happen. Is that possible?

I was considering this also with Blightsteel Colossus, but I think since Blightsteel's is a replacement effect Gyruda can't target him.

Let me know how wrong I am for these two situations.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Gyruda question involving Kozilek
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 08:23:59 pm »
My interpretation is this:
  • Everyone mills four cards one of which is Kozilek.
  • You target Kozilek in the grave and put it onto the battlefield.
  • Kozilek's ability is put on the stack.
  • Kozilek's ability resolves dumping your entire grave into your library.
So yes, you would get both Kozilek and the shuffle trigger. Blightsteel Colossus like you said replaces the event of it going to the grave so you can't target it with Gyruda.

EDIT: Minor detail in the order of events.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 11:44:40 pm by MustaKotka »
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 09:44:22 pm »
MustaKotka is bang on.

The important distinction between the two is that Kozilek actually hits the graveyard whereas blightsteel never does.

It's a "when" vs. "If" situation. Kozi says "when it enters the graveyard", which means it has to actually enter the graveyard for it to trigger. Blighty says "If it were to, do this instead" so it never actually enters or leaves the graveyard. Sorry for all those Blightsteel Colossus players looking to get a free bat from Desecrated Tomb.

In this specific situation, Gyruda's ability will be what puts Kozi in the yard, and that ability has to finish resolving before anything else can happen (as a general rule, nothing can disrupt a spell or ability once it's started resolving in magic). So while this ability is still resolving, you can choose Kozi while he's still in the yard (note that Gyruda's ability doesn't actually target so you can get around things like Ground Seal). Once that ability has finished resolving, Kozi's shuffle can now resolve.

Gyruda's ability is basically the same thing as Extract from Darkness, which folks have been using with the titans in this way for a while now. It's a neat little interaction. Glad it works the way you wanted it to.

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 11:50:20 pm »
Awesome. Thanks to both of you for the info.