deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Add a color to a Commander  (Read 3007 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Add a color to a Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 01:06:39 pm »
Sylvester12 and I wrote a poem on the subject a while back:

Poor Scorpion God. No one ever remembers Scorpion God.

An Ode to The Scorpion God:

How good you could have been
If only you had green
But your brothers are way better
Worst God in the set-ter

You kicked Rhonas' butt
And opened Kefnet's dome
But that doesn't change the fact
You're not great in the command zone

Yo, I want in on making silly poems for disliked cards.
Card draw engine though thou art,
You could not melt the frigid heart
Of him, the player hight Belwas,
Who now laments "Green, what a loss!"

The least of three once styled gods,
Your skillset failed to even odds.
You languish now in long disfavor,
Unplayed by most Commander players.

Your amazing potential cannot be denied
If not for your place in the colour pie
But without green you could not hope to reap
The benefits from the company you keep

Hapatra and Obelisk Spider, alas!
Relationships thwarted by Nicol Bolas
For Grixis is where the Dragon God lies
And your design space must comply

An agent of Bolas cannot be green
And so we lament what could have been
You could have been the king of my pod
My raison d'etre, My Scorpion God

Original thread for context, in case anyone cares:
https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,53051.0.html

Sometimes I like to think about an alternate timeline where The Scorpion God didn't go on a mad rampage, kill Kefnet, Oketra and Rhonas and get impaled on a massive obelisk. Instead, he channeled his rage into horticulture and helped Hazoret, Samut, Djeru and Hapatra rebuild Naktamun, planting trees and flowers and, most importantly, had green in his identity so I could build that goddam deck.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:11:46 pm by CleanBelwas »

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 07:02:35 am »
Add green to Aurelia, the Warleader to play with Sigarda, Host of Herons and Shalai, Voice of Plenty plus green ramp and draw. Toski, Bearer of Secrets and Craterhoof Behemoth with Aurelia's double combats? Yes, please. I wish we could get an actually good Naya angel commander.

I would also be happy adding red to Sram, Senior Edificer (or adding red to Mesa Enchantress and making her legendary) - I think a two or three mana enchanter/enchantress commander could work wonders for Boros.

KingKia

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 09:44:07 am »
Stephen Green from Commander Vs posted this on Twitter and I thought it was an interesting question...

If you could add one color to any Commander, what color to which Commander and why?

I would add black to Fynn, the fangbearer :-).

Not sure why he is mono green anyway because his mechanic is very blackish but nvm.
With black he would get access to cards like hooded blightfang, Chevill, Bane of Monsters and all the deathtouch creatures for just one b.
Additionally he would get draw potential, mass removal for creatures, the good black tutors and would be overall a better commander.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:24:24 am by KingKia »

MitchDeBaas

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 12:50:36 pm »
I'ld actually add green to niv-mizzit, parun . RAMP

Valmias

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 04:42:09 pm »
I'm going to have to also jump on the Bant merfolk train. Noyan Dar with green would make my day. Give that guy access to some real land shenanigans.

TropicalBoi

• Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 06:38:08 pm »
I'd love to see Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper with green (mostly for ramp). I know he is not so popular, but he was my first one.

Yes! thats exactly what I was thinking. Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper is my personal favorite commander, but I also really like ramp....

Bosh, Iron Golem is really good in mono red, but I would love to add black for Marionette Master and Reanimate Effects to loop my beefy artifact beaters throwing them at my opponents faces!

Adding green to Wyleth, Soul of Steel would also be really good for more aura based strats, kind of like Uril, the Miststalker, but a bit more focused on drawing those precious cards off Wyleth and also for enchantress effects.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 12:30:16 am »
I was feeling a little left out just reading this thread, so I decided to join in ;D

One awesome card that I wish had an extra color is absolutely Atarka, World Render. Adding black would open up possibilities for awesome removal, more cool dragons, and a whole bunch of tutors. And really, could anyone resist the juicy double-strikeness that would come from Boltwing Marauder and Atarka's effects? That's a lot of damage.

Second thought I had was adding a colour to a very commonly played commander, but most that I can think of really don't need it. They're great the way they are. However, making Emry, Lurker of the Loch Azorius, Dimir, or Esper would open up a lot more artifact combo cards (like Time Sieve) and all those classic commander staples in those colours.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 05:56:39 pm »
I'd add green or blue to teshar so I could build a better version of my teshar sagas and artifacts deck.  Both colors have the kinds of sagas I want however its be way more controlling if it had blue verse green.

Keksmeister

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 08:38:48 pm »
Muldrotha, the Gravetide with white 😍🤩 so much to abuse and access to all the orzhov-stuff😅😂

and Thrun, the Last Troll with blue for Control-Smash XD

Sen Triplets in my opinion is fine, but them with green in addition...

Mairsil, the Pretender, every color with him can be abused - would have to look for the old broken cards, but first: white for Mangara of Corondor = bye bye all permanents XD
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:42:08 pm by Keksmeister »

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 02:44:06 pm »
I would add red to Danitha Capashen, Paragon to make her Boris.  Giving her access to Champion of the Flame and Tiana, Ship's Caretaker definitely wouldn't hurt

Valmias

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 11:33:49 pm »
I would add red to Danitha Capashen, Paragon to make her Boris.  Giving her access to Champion of the Flame and Tiana, Ship's Caretaker definitely wouldn't hurt

I feel that. I got to a similar place and ended up using Tiana as the commander, and the deck was more fun than I thought it would be. Danitha would be way better in the command zone though.