English-language Forums > Primers

The most fun deck I have played in years - Yuriko tempo EDH Primer

(1/4) > >>

CleanBelwas:
Hello all, and welcome to the most fun deck I have played in several years.

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/1934517-yuriko#show_description

Akira Foxmind:
Since Yuriko is my pet-deck from the very beginning it's cool to see a primer for her on deckstats. Thanks for that. :)
If I may, I would like to add some clues to your primer.

An important part for me when playing Yuriko is to have solid ways of securing her attacks after the first one.Therefore I would absolutely include or at least mention Smoke Shroud, Cover of Darkness and Demonic Embrace (there are much more but those are the most important I would say). Shroud and Embrace especially since you can recast them over and over again, if Yuriko gets removed.
Also there are some more ways to cheat with high cmc spells. Misdirection, Snuff Out or Curtains Call/ Coastal Breach (for multiplayer matches, though) are pretty good examples for tempo/control cards that acually deal some damage with Yuriko but also can be cast for less mana.

WizardSpartan:
Updooted because "In this economy" joke. I cannot handle those, it's just too much. ;D

And now to pretend like I have something relevant to say...

What's the sweet spot for cheap, evasive creatures? Mist-Cloaked Herald & Gudul Lurker (& maybe even Ornithopter for the memes?) seem like good options, are you intentionally choosing to exclude them?

Ghostly Pilferer, Thalakos Seer, and Thieving Skydiver are all 2 mana, but they are each cool in their own way.

Misdirection is cool as a spell for big damage with Yuriko while also being able to be 0 mana in emergency situations. Snuff Out, also, maybe.

Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire seems super spicy to me. He's decently cheap considering he combines topdeck manipulation with being a (somewhat) evasive creature that likes to attack and doesn't mind being bounced. Scheming Symmetry could be fun, also, as could Halimar Depths.

Reliquary Tower? You've said you don't struggle with card draw, so could this warrant an inclusion?

Overall, good read, and I love the deck!

CleanBelwas:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will update the primer accordingly, but to answer your questions quickly here:

In terms of things like Auras and enchantments to make my creatures evasive, so far I haven't found it to be a problem. This deck is new to my meta so as it adjusts I may find more use from them, but so far it hasn't been necessary and it somewhat feels like "taking a turn off". I particularly like Cover of Darkness though. I was in a position where I had a bunch of Mist-Syndicate Nagas out. I was able to keep parity with the amount I had vs. the amount of blockers, but something like Cover of Darkness could allow for near exponential growth. Definitely worth considering.

Misdirection et al. I will add to the list of "Cards I don't currently own but will add to the deck when I do". I mean to include them first time around but forgot, so thanks for the reminder.

With regards to evasive creatures, they are kind of much of a muchness. An 1/1 for 1 that can't be blocked is very much the same as another 1/1 for 1 that can't be blocked, and my list is presently made up of "cards I could find". I definitely own a Mist-Cloaked Herald or 4, but I couldn't find one when building the deck.

Thalakos Seer is particularly intriguing to me. That leaves the battlefield ability could be fun. It does mean having to stack my deck so the huge cards are two deep, but I don't think that's a problem. I have very few "scry 1" effects, so it'll be worth testing out.

Varragoth is good shout. I haven't picked up many Kaldheim cards yet so kind of forgot he existed, but next time I pick up some singles I'll check the price.

I've been thinking about Halimar Depths, Mortuary Mire and Mystic Sanctuary but the potential loss of tempo puts me off somewhat. I'll add them to the card discussion section and will probably play test them, but I'm not sure they'll stay. Running so few lands and needing to get a fast start has me wary of tapped lands.

Reliquary Tower is also one I need to add to the "list of cards I'm considering", so again, thanks for the reminder.

Akira Foxmind:
Your very welcome. I'm glad to be able to help on a primer for her. :D

What I experienced while playing Yuriko over the past few years is, that if you can't attack for 1 or 2 turns you are just to slow to keep up with the opponent's speed. That is why for me it's important to keep up the pace of your own gameplay. Unless you play tons of mass removal you won't be able to get back into the game, because you lack actual 'bombs'.
Of course that can diver depending on the meta you are playing in. In multiplayer matches I was likely to get targeted because you hit all opponents equally and no one knows how fast she is with her topdecks.

Regarding the speed and the lands in yuriko decks:
I wouldn't use to many etb tapped lands for utility since you need to be fast (as mentioned thousand times  ::)) and are playing a very low number of lands with no rocks for fixing at all. What is nice though, are man lands that fits the theme - Faerie Conclave, Blinkmoth Nexus and Creeping Tar Pit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version