deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Magic and The Lord of the Rings crossover  (Read 944 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
This space for rent.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Magic and The Lord of the Rings crossover
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 01:20:40 pm »
As an enormous LotR fan, I can't help but be a little bit excited.

WotC have a history of mishandling these things, and naturally I'm hoping for more of a Godzilla reskin-of-real-cards than a Walking Dead mechanically unique mess, but either way, I'm pretty excited.

Darksteel Plate, but it's a Mithril Vest.
Juggernaut, but it's called Grond.
Loxodon Warhammer, but it's also called Grond. (Little sneaky trivia reference there for all my fellow LotR nerds).

Could be really cool (and of course I use the term cool subjectively).

I also think there's a real chance it'll garbage. Like, it will miss the mark completely and just feel like the sort of shit they used to give out at the cinema when a new Pokemon movie came out. Just glorified merch.

I hope they stick with fantasy art rather than TWD "photos-from-the-screen" style. I'd much rather have a good fantasy wizard than Ian McKellen's actual face. I realise there is approximately a 0% chance of this happening as it's the film franchise that propelled LotR to the mainstream beyond fantasy book fans, but a man can dream.

But I think it has potential to be incredible. I'm probably more excited for things like Basics and Artifacts than the obvious Legends. A Rebecca Guay basic Forest depicting Lothlorien would be amazing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 01:43:41 pm by CleanBelwas »

brianmpenn

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 02:14:11 pm »
I'm with you on the Godzilla style re-skins, but from what I've read it sounds like they intend it to be more like TWD cards.  Which, unsurprisingly is not attractive at all.  Unfortunately, at the end of the day Hasbro is a company, and companies need revenue.  When a company finds a previously untapped revenue stream, IT MUST be drained. That is what's being done here. They had HUGE success with TWD and so its time to go all in and get every available cent from every major fanbase that they can get licensing for.  Thus far, the announcements have been at least somewhat fantasy related, but I can easily see them making the jump to a "Shadowrun" genre, and from there... Jedi (I doubt Disney would license, but you never know.  Probably end up buying out Hasbro.)

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 05:26:18 pm »
Nothing wrong with the alt-art version of things like Godzilla but I definitely agree the unique cards being pushed via SL drops is bad. Combined with everything else (i.e. set boosters, curling foils, themed boosters, etc.), it is just another indication of Hasbro chasing growth without consideration for sustainability or quality.

Tsivihcra

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 08:46:57 pm »
I wonder if it's going to be tied to the books, or the Jackson movies. I'm really hoping it's tied to the books. I'm a little bothered that the expansion is not into Middle Earth. Does this mean that we won't get into The Hobbit or the other stories?