deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Card prices and buying singles  (Read 645 times)

krichaiushii

• Decks
Card prices and buying singles
« on: February 28, 2021, 01:49:09 pm »
Good morning!

It has been several years since I played Magic regularly, and my strategy for card collecting then was to wait until sets dropped out of Standard and then buy the interesting singles for my Commander decks.

I am just checking to see if that is still a viable strategy.

Basically, are the prices of new sets still driven by that format or are more eternal formats what now drive price? 

Thank you,

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Card prices and buying singles
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 05:32:09 pm »
I'd say it depends on the set. That's usually a pretty valid strategy, but every once in a while, a really good edh card gets spoiled and just starts trending up. In those situations, it's often cheaper to buy early. Still, it can be hard to know if a card will spike or not sometimes. I would say if it's good in standard, probably wait. If it's good in something like modern, and unlikely to get banned, then the price will often just stay high.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Card prices and buying singles
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 01:17:39 pm »
I agree with Slyvester. It's still usually the strategy but occasionally you'll see cards where other formats, mostly modern and commander, set the price.
This space for rent.