deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: First ever commander deck I've built, please rate  (Read 636 times)

llDunkz

• Decks
First ever commander deck I've built, please rate
« on: March 04, 2021, 02:14:43 am »
R/G Commander in progress

I've never built a commander deck before, please let me know if it's any good at all or maybe give me suggestions on how to make it better. Thanks :)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
Re: First ever commander deck I've built, please rate
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 03:01:37 am »
I built Grand Warlord Radha a few months ago, and she's really fun. Great commander pick.

My list: https://deckstats.net/decks/120669/1839054-grand-warlord-radha-big-mana/en

I wouldn't worry too much about exactly which cards I chose to include, but look at the amounts of each type of card and what the categories look like to get an idea of what the average deck would look like. Here's what I like to start with, no matter the deck.
  • 38 lands - Pretty much any commander deck is fine starting with 38 lands. Once you have playtested the deck & have a better idea of how it does, you can start adjusting as needed, but a 38 is a good basis. I wouldn't include too many taplands, though, as that can slow you down.
  • 10 pieces of ramp - You are going to want your ramp to be 2 or less mana (to facilitate your 4 mana commander), and you want a lot of it. Ramp is one of the two pillars of EDH, but you're in luck. Green has by far the best ramp out of all 5 colors. In addition to staples like Sol Ring, Arcane Signet, etc. you have land ramp like Farseek, Nature's Lore, Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder, etc.
  • 10 pieces of card advantage - Card advantage is the other pillar of EDH. I would include a combination of consistent draw that's always good no matter the boardstate (i.e. Harmonize, Escape to the Wilds), engine draw that can gain you a lot of advantage over time (i.e. Lifecrafter's Bestiary, Toski, Bearer of Secrets), and synergistic draw (depending on your style of Radha deck, Regal Force, Return of the Wildspeaker, and/or Shamanic Revelation can be good).
  • 5 pieces of creature removal (if possible) - This is difficult in R/G, as the color pair isn't the best at removing creatures, but you have access to the staples Decimate, Beast Within, and Chaos Warp in addition to decent options like fight spells, Kenrith's Transformation, etc.
  • 5 pieces of artifact & enchantment removal - If you choose to include cards like Beast Within and friends that can hit both creatures and artifacts & enchantments, you can use less slots to do so. Green is king at removing artifacts & enchantments, so you have plenty of options, though. Nature's Claim, Cindervines, Reclamation Sage, Return to Nature, the list goes on.
With that out of the way, you need to establish what exactly you want your deck to do. One great tool I use when establishing the goals of my deck is EDHRec. There's a webpage for every single legal commander that compiles decklists from multiple sites (including Deckstats) to give people an idea of how others are building a given commander.

Radha's EDHRec page gives you a few directions, and they all work pretty well together.
  • Tokens - Make a lot of tokens, make a lot of mana with Radha, ???, profit.
  • Big Mana - Druid's Repository, Leyline Tyrant, etc. essentially give you more mana alongside Radha.
  • Extra Combats - The more combat steps you get, the more Radha triggers you get, the more mana you make. Oh, and it's easy easy for cards like Hellkite Charger to go infinite with Radha and just end the game (if that's what you want).
Radha's nice in that all her themes play well together, so you can really include whatever mixture you want and do well.

Anyway, that was a lot of information so let me know if you have any questions! Welcome to EDH!

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
Re: First ever commander deck I've built, please rate
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 07:12:15 am »
Just to add some red removal, I'm a big fan of Volcanic Salvo for creature-based decks.  ;)
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.