deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Edgar Markov  (Read 2107 times)

Mayday

• Decks
Edgar Markov
« on: March 08, 2021, 06:21:59 pm »
Hi All,

Looking to get feedback on my Edgar Markov deck.

Primary Theme: Vampire Tribal (Pretty obvious)
Sub-themes: +1/+1 Counters and Life-gain

Where I'm struggling: Not sure if I'm trying to do too many things with the deck or if the themes and the supporting cards are sufficient. Any feedback would be great.

https://deckstats.net/decks/83009/1963004-markov-mardu

Cheers,

-Mayday

KingKia

• Decks
Re: Edgar Markov
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 12:31:26 pm »
Hey there,
did you already played this deck and have some issues or did you just want some card recommendations?

If you need some Card recommendations I can recommend some cards for your theme

Crippling fear : one sided mass removal or a big debuff for the enemy
Pact of the serpent : Draw and win con :-D If you fight against a krenko, mob boss or Lathril, Blade of the Elves you can just let them draw cards and die if they life is low.
Boros charm : is good to protect your stuff, and can give double strike or kill someone with low life
New Blood : mate this card is insane, don´t underestimate this card. You will change ALL instances. for example a Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow  will be a vampire with the effect "whenever a vampire you control..." same is true if you take krenko, mob boss or Lathril, Blade of the Elves.
Exquisite blood : If you are playing sanguine blood and vito you can also play this card to go infinite.
Legion's landing : nice ramp and token creator
Twilight prophet : card avantage and life
anointed procession : extremly strong because of...well yeah more tokens more fun
elenda, the dusk rose : lifelink, +1 /+1 counter and tokens
cruel celebrant: If you can't protect your board from a mass removal, make your opponents pay for it and gain life
nullpriest of oblivion : 2/1 menace and lifelink for 2 mana and if you have too much mana you can revive something.

I don't know your playgroup and I don't know where you currently have problems, so I could only recommend various cards to you. if you put it in more concrete terms, we can talk about it in more detail again.

Mayday

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 03:00:28 pm »
Hi KingKia - Thanks for the post.

I should have clarified in my original post. Basically, here are my goals for the deck and my questions:

Primary Theme: Vampire Tribal

Sub-type Themes: +1/+1 Counters and Life-gain

Goal of Deck: Pump up vampires and take advantage of opponent life drain.

Questions:
1. Is the deck focused enough? Meaning, is having the 2 sub-type themes stretching the deck too thin?
2. I went hog on the lands to ensure an even distribution on the Mardu colors even though 71% of the mana distribution is black. Is this over-kill?

Thanks for the card suggestions! Some of these look pretty awesome. I will definitely reconsider New Blood. Some of the other cards may be out of my reach due to budget restricts (a lot of the expensive cards I have in my deck were cards that I already had).

I am intrigued by Nullpriest of Oblivion, New Blood, Boros Charm (I have this in my Syr Gwyn deck already) and Cruel Celebrant. Do you have any recommendations as to what to swap out for those?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 03:14:57 pm by Mayday »

KingKia

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 04:43:10 pm »
Hiho Mayday,
I like to help out if I can.
I'll try to answer your questions. Since I've been playing Edgar Markov myself for a long time, I might be able to help you with that.

1. Is the deck focused enough? Meaning, is having the 2 sub-type themes stretching the deck too thin?

The good thing is that these are not really sub-type themes, but fundamental components of the vampire tribal. You can easily add them into your playstyle because drinking blood and getting stronger is typical for vampires. You can easily play a vampire tribal with a lifegain mechanic and buffs. So Basically your deck is just a vampire tribal you only choosed some vampires with lifegain and counters :-)

There are way more vampire for a life gain sub theme like cliffhaven vampire, indulging patrician, epicure of blood or defiant bloodlord. But you choosed Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (he is very strong at his own) and sanguine bond as well some very good vampires with lifegain. I think this should work and shouldn´t be a problem for you to run these themes.

2. I went hog on the lands to ensure an even distribution on the Mardu colors even though 71% of the mana distribution is black. Is this over-kill?

Vampires are mainly black as well as your deck. Edgar Markov is mainly black with a splash of red and white so 71% is absolutely ok. But You should optimize your mana base because of the 71% black mana. You have a lot of cards with bb or even bbb so you should add more black mana resources.

I am intrigued by Nullpriest of Oblivion, New Blood, Boros Charm (I have this in my Syr Gwyn deck already) and Cruel Celebrant. Do you have any recommendations as to what to swap out for those?

Guul Draz Assassin vs Nullpriest of Oblivion
Boros Charm vs Kindred boon or swiftfoot boots - I think an instant is better because of the suprise mother****er effect :-D
New Blood vs. Nevinyrral's Disk not sure if you need this if you just can take the control of the strongest creature
Cruel celebrant vs. Adanto Vanguard adanto is not very strong tbh

you can also change Immersturm Predator vs marauding blight-priest for the sub theme or Olivia voldaren to shoot down some 1/1 creatures or to take a creature also Bloodthirsty Aerialist would be a candidate to swap out
and another option is the whip of erebos for the lifegain theme

Mayday

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 10:46:26 pm »
Thanks for the plethora of information!

Vampires are mainly black as well as your deck. Edgar Markov is mainly black with a splash of red and white so 71% is absolutely ok. But You should optimize your mana base because of the 71% black mana. You have a lot of cards with bb or even bbb so you should add more black mana resources.

Is it as simple as removing some of the Boros dual lands and slotting in basic swamp lands instead? I feel that would be the lowest hanging fruit.

The other tips are very helpful. Thanks again.

Mayday

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 05:11:41 pm »

Removed: Temple of Malice, Temple of Silence, and Temple of Triumph, Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion, Rogue's Passage, Rugged Prairie, and Bloodfell Caves
Reasoning: Either too slow or didn't line up with the strategy of the deck. The temples are a bit slower and the utility lands mentioned are more Voltron lands.

Added: 7 Swamp to optimize mana base to line up with mana distribution.

KingKia

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 02:04:00 am »
Removed: Temple of Malice, Temple of Silence, and Temple of Triumph, Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion, Rogue's Passage, Rugged Prairie, and Bloodfell Caves
Reasoning: Either too slow or didn't line up with the strategy of the deck. The temples are a bit slower and the utility lands mentioned are more Voltron lands.

Added: 7 Swamp to optimize mana base to line up with mana distribution.

Sounds really good ! You should be faster now and have a more optimized mana base.

keep me up to date on how the deck is going now

Mayday

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 09:24:55 pm »
Sounds really good ! You should be faster now and have a more optimized mana base.

Thanks! I actually went back and tweaked some things:

- Swapped Bloodlord of Vaasgoth with Malakir Bloodwitch
- Reason: I think the effect Vaasgoth has is iffy at best while Bloodwitch has a guaranteed ETB effect that I can use as a bomb, which can be triggered even more by Sanguine Blood.

- Swapped Kindred Boon with Unbreakable Formation
- Reason: I like the instant speed of Formation and takes into effect for all my creatures immediately.

- Swapped: Blade of the Bloodchief for Guul Draz Assassin
- Reason: Blade is more Voltron and I'd rather get another vampire token with Assassin instead based on Edgar Markov's eminence effect.

- Swapped: Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord for New Blood
- Reason: Sorin is more single targeted and doesn't really speed the game along. It gave me the ability to put New Blood instead as a slot without messing up my mana curve too much.

- Swapped: Nevinyrral's Disk with Kaya's Wrath
- Reason: I'd rather keep my mana rocks and enchantments while taking advantage of the life-gain after a board wipe. If Sanguine Blood is on the battlefield, it will deal a world of hurt to my opponents.

- Swapped: Austere Command with Blasphemous Act
- Reason: Mana cost is pretty high and Blasphemous Act has been reliable for me in other commander decks I've had.

- Swapped: Skeletal Scrying with Ambition's Cost
- Reason: Still debating this one. The instant speed is nice for Skeletal Scrying. However, if I don't have many vampires in the graveyard, I don't have as much guarantee from a card draw perspective versus the flat out 3 cards I draw with Ambition's Cost. Also, the life loss from Skeletal Scrying can be pretty painful if I need to get more cards.  Thoughts on this one?

- Debating: Swap Tithe Drinker with Dusk Legion Zealot or with Oathsworn Vampire
- Reason: Tithe Drinker as we discussed isn't great. However, I do not have Cruel Celebrant as of this moment. Oathsworn Vampire is nice because I can re-cast him from the graveyard and continue to trigger Edgar Markov's eminence ability. Dusk Legion Zealot is nice for the card draw. Thoughts on this one?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 09:54:46 pm by Mayday »

KingKia

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 02:40:29 pm »

Thanks! I actually went back and tweaked some things:

- Swapped Bloodlord of Vaasgoth with Malakir Bloodwitch
- Reason: I think the effect Vaasgoth has is iffy at best while Bloodwitch has a guaranteed ETB effect that I can use as a bomb, which can be triggered even more by Sanguine Blood.

- Swapped Kindred Boon with Unbreakable Formation
- Reason: I like the instant speed of Formation and takes into effect for all my creatures immediately.

- Swapped: Blade of the Bloodchief for Guul Draz Assassin
- Reason: Blade is more Voltron and I'd rather get another vampire token with Assassin instead based on Edgar Markov's eminence effect.

- Swapped: Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord for New Blood
- Reason: Sorin is more single targeted and doesn't really speed the game along. It gave me the ability to put New Blood instead as a slot without messing up my mana curve too much.

- Swapped: Nevinyrral's Disk with Kaya's Wrath
- Reason: I'd rather keep my mana rocks and enchantments while taking advantage of the life-gain after a board wipe. If Sanguine Blood is on the battlefield, it will deal a world of hurt to my opponents.

- Swapped: Austere Command with Blasphemous Act
- Reason: Mana cost is pretty high and Blasphemous Act has been reliable for me in other commander decks I've had.

- Swapped: Skeletal Scrying with Ambition's Cost
- Reason: Still debating this one. The instant speed is nice for Skeletal Scrying. However, if I don't have many vampires in the graveyard, I don't have as much guarantee from a card draw perspective versus the flat out 3 cards I draw with Ambition's Cost. Also, the life loss from Skeletal Scrying can be pretty painful if I need to get more cards.  Thoughts on this one?

- Debating: Swap Tithe Drinker with Dusk Legion Zealot or with Oathsworn Vampire
- Reason: Tithe Drinker as we discussed isn't great. However, I do not have Cruel Celebrant as of this moment. Oathsworn Vampire is nice because I can re-cast him from the graveyard and continue to trigger Edgar Markov's eminence ability. Dusk Legion Zealot is nice for the card draw. Thoughts on this one?

I would recommend  Dusk Legion Zealot  because of the draw. It´s a cantrip and you´ll get two creatures out of it.
The other changes sounds good for me, I´m not a fan of the Guul Draz Assassin if you want to play him then go for it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 02:42:27 pm by KingKia »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 04:46:51 pm »
Thanks for the plethora of information!

Is it as simple as removing some of the Boros dual lands and slotting in basic swamp lands instead? I feel that would be the lowest hanging fruit.

The other tips are very helpful. Thanks again.

What I do when my deck leans to one color - like this one ... I would make sure that my multi-colored sources can all make black.  So in this deck I would limit the mana sources that only make red/white.

edit:  I count 7 Boros sources.  And that doesn't even count the colorless, mono-red, and mono-white sources.  If you're not getting enough black, consider swapping out some of those Boros sources.  If your playgroup is consistently 4 or more players, I can suggest Fellwar Stone as a decent mana rock.  Usually gets you at least 4 colors in a 4-player pod.

edit2: Exotic Orchard is Fellwar Stone on a land.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:00:20 pm by ApothecaryGeist »
Happy Brewing!
:)

Mayday

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 02:25:44 pm »
What I do when my deck leans to one color - like this one ... I would make sure that my multi-colored sources can all make black.  So in this deck I would limit the mana sources that only make red/white.

edit:  I count 7 Boros sources.  And that doesn't even count the colorless, mono-red, and mono-white sources.  If you're not getting enough black, consider swapping out some of those Boros sources.  If your playgroup is consistently 4 or more players, I can suggest Fellwar Stone as a decent mana rock.  Usually gets you at least 4 colors in a 4-player pod.

edit2: Exotic Orchard is Fellwar Stone on a land.

Thanks - That's helpful. Is it just as easy as swapping in Swamps for the R/W lands?

Mayday

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 02:33:23 pm »
I would recommend  Dusk Legion Zealot  because of the draw. It´s a cantrip and you´ll get two creatures out of it.
Ther other changes sounds good for me, I´m not a fan of the Guul Draz Assassin if you want to play him then go fort it.

Thanks KingKia. I acquired some of the cards mentioned prior and made some swaps:

- Swapped Bloodthirsty Aerialist for Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle
- Swapped Tithe Drinker for Cruel Celebrant
- Swapped Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord with Whip of Erebos
- Swapped Immersturm Predator for Olivia Voldaren
- Swapped Knight of the Ebon Legion for Viscera Seer
- Swapped Olivia, Mobilized for War for Drana's Emissary - Let me know your thoughts on this one as this one is debatable.
- Removed Pulse Tracker and added Shared Animosity
- Swapped Guul Draz Assassin for Nullpriest of Oblivion

Let me know you think.

KingKia

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 02:56:25 pm »
Ther other changes sounds good for me, I´m not a fan of the Guul Draz Assassin if you want to play him then go fort it.

Thanks KingKia. I acquired some of the cards mentioned prior and made some swaps:

- Swapped Bloodthirsty Aerialist for Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle
- Swapped Tithe Drinker for Cruel Celebrant
- Swapped Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord with Whip of Erebos
- Swapped Immersturm Predator for Olivia Voldaren
- Swapped Knight of the Ebon Legion for Viscera Seer
- Swapped Olivia, Mobilized for War for Drana's Emissary - Let me know your thoughts on this one as this one is debatable.
- Removed Pulse Tracker and added Shared Animosity
- Swapped Guul Draz Assassin for Nullpriest of Oblivion

Let me know you think.

The changes make sense and fit better with the theme of the deck. What ApothecaryGeist said makes sense and you should take that into account when choosing your landcards. However, try to avoid lands which come into play tapped because of the loss of speed.

I wouldn´t play Drana's Emissary. She has only an upkeep trigger and doesn´t synergized with all the lifelinkers. I would prefer cliffhaven vampire or marauding blight-priest - both of them will synergize with the lifelinkers and effects like cruel celebrant or sanctum seeker
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 03:12:13 pm by KingKia »

Mayday

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 03:05:25 pm »
The changes make sense and fit better with the theme of the deck. What ApothecaryGeist said makes sense and you should take that into account when choosing your landcards. However, try to avoid lands which come into play tapped because of the loss of speed.

I wouldn´t play Drana's Emissary. She has only an upkeep trigger and doesn´t synergized with all the lifelinkers. I would prefer cliffhaven vampire or marauding blight-priest - both of them will synergize with the lifelinkers and effects like cruel celebrant or malakir bloodwitch.

Sweet. I'll have a look at the mana base and post back what I changed. I'll add marauding blight-priest from a mana curve perspective. Luckily I picked it up as well (ha!).

Mayday

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 04:48:00 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/83009/1963004-markov-mardu/en

New updates:
- Removed Battlefield Forge, Needleverge Pathway // Pillarverge Pathway, Rugged Prairie, Sacred Foundry, and Spectator Seating for Swamps

Question: I am looking at Savai Triome and Path of Ancestry, which both come in tapped but have synergies with my deck. Are they still worthwhile to remain in the deck? Or should they be swapped out with something else?