deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Idea for a new Deckbuilding Challenge  (Read 1023 times)

Judaspriester

• Decks
Idea for a new Deckbuilding Challenge
« on: March 30, 2021, 10:45:33 am »
Hey,

I have seen this spoiler today:

After my first thought, that it would be funny to add it to a Zidra deck, I started thinking about it. Wouldn't it be an interesting challenge, to build an EDH deck around it without any card that you aren't allowed to play while its out?
That would basicly limit the available card types to lands, instants and sorceries. Because its color identity is 5 color, there should still be more than enough room for creativity.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:42:23 am by Judaspriester »
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Idea for a new Deckbuilding Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 11:00:27 am »
I had a similar thought when I saw this guy. Sounds like a really interesting and fun way to build a deck. Not good per se, but definitely interesting.

My head immediately went to doing something like Army of the Damned into something like Mob Rule.

Seems like it would make for a wild deck with a lot of variance, which I'm personally a big fan of.

Also, having a book as your commander is awesome. Everyone likes books.

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 11:34:05 am »
Mhh.. I'm not really sure about the powerlevel. no permanents is a hard condition which excludes you from alot of stuff. But on the other hand, it could be really interesting to play with.

What will definitely be powerful is deck manipulation. Something like Brainstorm should really come in handy in order to place the next spell that will be casted for free. Besides that, in some cases you can put some cards from your hand or top of the library on the bottom of it, but that depends much on the spell you will cast with codie's ability.

Besides that, you will definitely need some cards that generates tokens in order to get hands on some blockers. Beatdown isn't the best strategy for edh because of the massive lifepools, but sitting there without blockers basicly invites the table to do this.

/edit: already got an first idea: A doomsday stack with any extra turn with cmc <7 and approach of the second sun. Rough gameplan: get rid of the first 3 remaining cards within the library, cast approach with you commander, cast the extraturn for free. since the approach is the only remaining card in your library you can draw and cast at your extra  turn you can play it again and win.
This feels a little janky, at least until now,  and we also have 3 open slots for the stack, but I think that's already something worth to work out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:25:28 pm by Judaspriester »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 04:42:13 pm »
This is probably the craziest commander (or even card in general) I've ever seen. Maybe the companions were weirder, idk.

I think a big draw is how quick this gets going. Codie is only 3 mana, and its (hers? his?) ability only costs 4 mana to activate, while giving 5 and a pseudo-cascade.

Ritual effects could be good, as could untappers like vitalize. It's not necessarily for me, but I tremble at the thought of the nasty things people could do with this thing.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 04:50:51 pm »
This thing screams storm. All the untap spells - sounds like my cup of tea, I'm in!
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 04:54:55 pm »
Anyone else notice that Codie is a very talkative (vociferous) book?  And he's being depicted in an outdoor setting?  Presumably because the librarian kicked him out of the library.  Shhhh.

;D
Happy Brewing!
:)

Judaspriester

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 04:56:37 pm »
This is probably the craziest commander (or even card in general) I've ever seen. Maybe the companions were weirder, idk.

I think a big draw is how quick this gets going. Codie is only 3 mana, and its (hers? his?) ability only costs 4 mana to activate, while giving 5 and a pseudo-cascade.

Ritual effects could be good, as could untappers like vitalize. It's not necessarily for me, but I tremble at the thought of the nasty things people could do with this thing.

Hmm.. I would suggest adding an Companion (except Zidra) as bonus challenge. But the companions itself are in conflict with Codie, since you can't them while it's out.

I'm also very exited on the thougt what nasty things could be done with this, especially since the format usually preferes reusable options which means permanents (there are some exceptions like Capsize but only a few of them). That's also the reason why I came up with the idea of a challenge.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 05:18:28 pm »
I don't know about abuse but I'm going to "cascade" into Ancestral Vision with an untap spell of mana value 1. There's an infinite storm combo there somewhere and I'm going to find it.

Whoever left the downvote: what was it that you didn't like? :/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:32:11 pm by MustaKotka »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 03:15:35 pm »
I think this could be an interesting challenge. The first thought that came to my mind was storm with some reliable untap shenanigan's.
This space for rent.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 05:31:27 pm »
This thing screams storm. All the untap spells - sounds like my cup of tea, I'm in!
Ok I built this and playtested it. It's powerful alright but MAN is it a bunch of solitaire. I'm going to take a look at infinite storm (infinite mana) with Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter instead. Much easier to resolve. Got my storm count to ~20 with a ton of spells on the stack when I gave up resolving the whole thing. Had like 10 mana with Brain Freeze out so I was doing well except it was a pain in the butt to resolve. Never again.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 07:12:29 pm »
Ok I built this and playtested it. It's powerful alright but MAN is it a bunch of solitaire. I'm going to take a look at infinite storm (infinite mana) with Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter instead. Much easier to resolve. Got my storm count to ~20 with a ton of spells on the stack when I gave up resolving the whole thing. Had like 10 mana with Brain Freeze out so I was doing well except it was a pain in the butt to resolve. Never again.
Bahahaha this is why I pretty much only play varying kinds of creature decks. I've given a couple storm decks a try, and it is honestly kinda feelsbad for me. I personally don't enjoy long solitaire turns, especially when there's no guarantee that I win at the end of it. I know that my opponents are getting frustrated (or at least are mentally checking out of the game), the game takes forever, etc.