deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rule 0 lurrus companion  (Read 1758 times)

Darkknightkefka

• Decks
Rule 0 lurrus companion
« on: April 04, 2021, 11:01:09 am »
Our playgroup has decided to use  rule 0 to have some fun again in commander. I decided to build lurrus with either radha (ts) or thrasios/akiri for 5 color. I'm having trouble deciding between the 2 as there's a ton of variance of play. I need some advice. Should i go smaller 4 color or 5 color? Or cut red and go thrasios? Its hard as red and blue are the 2 colors I'm fighting over if i go smaller. It's a choice basically between kroxa/valki or  nissa (steward of elements)/hydroid krasis. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:27:26 am by Darkknightkefka »
We all float down here

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Re: Rule 0 lurrus companion
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 11:34:19 am »
I don't think any of those are legal options. Lurrus must be in your commander's colour identity and your commander must be MV 2 or less. I think Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim, Karlov of the Ghost Council and the new Killian, Ink Duelist are the only legal options.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Darkknightkefka

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 12:01:02 pm »
See rule 0 in commander. We can play what we want as long as the group is ok with it.
We all float down here

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 02:28:25 pm »
Uhh you just said you're getting rid of rule 0. See your opening comment.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 05:28:43 pm »
Anyone else confused here?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 06:52:44 pm »
Getting rid of Rule 0 doesn't change the fundamental deck building elements of the format.
This space for rent.

Grins

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 09:20:53 pm »
My first thought:
you don't want to build lurrus
you want to go home and rethink your life
:p

but serious, when you say "get rid of rule 0" do you mean 'play by the strict letter of the rules'? Or just 'no rules sandbox mode'?
I can't follow what you are asking at all.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:23:28 pm by Grins »

Darkknightkefka

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 01:26:02 am »
Then allow me to clarify. We're using rule 0 to build decks we want: like with lurrus being able to be used without fully matching color identity as in standard and such. So my thoughts were to build something with lurrus as a companion with more colors, similar to lurrus jund from standard or even with 2 partners and lurrus .
We all float down here

Grins

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 01:51:25 am »
it makes a bit more sense now that you edited your original post from "get rid of" to "use" rule 0.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:57:31 am by Grins »

Darkknightkefka

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 02:06:34 am »
My apologies.  I'm just looking for help with slots and some inspiration for the right commander. It's a tough choice
We all float down here

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 05:40:27 pm »
Then allow me to clarify. We're using rule 0 to build decks we want: like with lurrus being able to be used without fully matching color identity as in standard and such. So my thoughts were to build something with lurrus as a companion with more colors, similar to lurrus jund from standard or even with 2 partners and lurrus .

So you are looking for commanders that at least contain black/white and may be a good fit with Lurrus? I will think about it, but finding commanders that are 2 cmc and under is gonna be tough.

Edit
Looks like the three legal options are already listed above. Personally, I would pick Killian, Ink Duelist

Double Edit
Forgot about Partners
For black you could go: Miara, Thorn of the Glade

Then your options with white are:
Livio, Oathsworn Sentinel
Keleth, Sunmane Familiar
Akiri, Line-Slinger

These at least give you a little more flexibility.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:22:58 am by Mynus »

Darkknightkefka

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 05:34:42 am »
Akiri was up there in choice as it does give red and white for things like FoD and dragon master outcast. But with rule 0 break, I was considering more like thrasios/akiri. Something like that for color diversity.
We all float down here

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 04:51:59 pm »
Akiri was up there in choice as it does give red and white for things like FoD and dragon master outcast. But with rule 0 break, I was considering more like thrasios/akiri. Something like that for color diversity.

I don't think Rule 0 is intended for breaking the rules of deck building. Commander is a format built around those, if you break those rules you are no longer playing Commander, which I guess is fine. In my mind, it would be like our group saying we are using Rule 0 to move from a singleton to doubleton format, it might be fun, but it is no longer Commander.

Rule 0, I believe, is intended to talk about game experience, like power level, or competitive nature, or mulligan rules, or using a silver border or banned commander, or discussions about levels of counter magic or interaction or combos, or the ideas of stax or land destruction, or proxy use, or even game length. Most of these things have nothing to do with the actual "rules" of the game.

I think there are things that Rule 0 is not intended for, like undermining the format rules. I don't think Rule 0 should be used to break the rules of the format, and for commander the format is almost entirely about deck-building rules.

I am not sure if this matters to what is going on here or that your group would even care, but that's my two cents.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:53:48 pm by Mynus »

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 05:30:52 pm »

I don't think Rule 0 is intended for breaking the rules of deck building. Commander is a format built around those, if you break those rules you are no longer playing Commander, which I guess is fine. In my mind, it would be like our group saying we are using Rule 0 to move from a singleton to doubleton format, it might be fun, but it is no longer Commander.

Rule 0, I believe, is intended to talk about game experience, like power level, or competitive nature, or mulligan rules, or using a silver border or banned commander, or discussions about levels of counter magic or interaction or combos, or the ideas of stax or land destruction, or proxy use, or even game length. Most of these things have nothing to do with the actual "rules" of the game.

I think there are things that Rule 0 is not intended for, like undermining the format rules. I don't think Rule 0 should be used to break the rules of the format, and for commander the format is almost entirely about deck-building rules.

I am not sure if this matters to what is going on here or that your group would even care, but that's my two cents.
I would say rule zero is more about being willing to disregard the rules of the format for the sake of fun. Groups often use rule zero to modify the banlist and restrictions on commanders having to be creatures or designated planeswalkers, both core aspects of EDH. Sure, using rule zero to say you can make a commander deck with no commander, sixty cards with up to for copies of each, twenty life, and only standard legal cards might be pointless, but lesser deviations are essentially the spirit of rule zero.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 06:18:47 pm »
I would say rule zero is more about being willing to disregard the rules of the format for the sake of fun. Groups often use rule zero to modify the banlist and restrictions on commanders having to be creatures or designated planeswalkers, both core aspects of EDH. Sure, using rule zero to say you can make a commander deck with no commander, sixty cards with up to for copies of each, twenty life, and only standard legal cards might be pointless, but lesser deviations are essentially the spirit of rule zero.

I think there is a difference between modifying banlist or using a plainswalker as a commander and breaking deck-building rules. Using a plainswalker as a commander you would still be following color identity and other deck-building rules.

I see the original issue here more along the lines of me wanting to play Niv-Mizzet as my commander, but using Rule 0 to allow for me to use green ramp spells. Again, I would argue this is inherently different than the aspects you brought up about banlist and non-traditional commanders.

I still argue the spirit of the rule is intended to improve play experience for all to make sure everyone has an understanding of the expectations of the game they are about to commit time in playing.

I tend to agree with the points being made here:
https://articles.starcitygames.com/2020/05/17/rule-0-what-it-is-and-what-its-not/

Edit
I tried to find the Rule 0 information on the commander rules site for the actual wording, but either I don't know where to look or it's not actually there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:50:10 pm by Mynus »