deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Commander 2021 Review  (Read 875 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Commander 2021 Review
« on: April 10, 2021, 02:34:26 pm »
What you think about them? I personally like it and pre-ordered all 5 of them. Granted there are a lot of good cards in this product but here are the ones that caught my eye..

Author of Shadows is very good because it is graveyard hate but you get the possibility of casting a card you exiled in all graveyards.
Inkshield works great against an Alpha Strike the more combat damage you prevent the more 2/1's you get
Stinging Study while it does cost 5 mana, loss of life but it allows you to draw cards based upon your commander's mana cost even if in the command zone.
Veinwitch Coven is gain life pay a black return a creature from graveyard to hand. I am sure this can be abused very easily
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Commander 2021 Review
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 03:20:01 pm »
I'm buzzing.

First they gave me a commander who lets me have 2 trading posts (4 with sculpting steel) in Osgir, the Reconstructor.

Then they gave me a commander that basically IS trading post in Fain, the Broker.

AND, they gave me the snazziest bear I've ever seen in Ruxa, Patient Professor.

Possibly the best commander set of all time for me.

There are probably good cards in the set too, and that's nice for people who like that kind of thing.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 03:27:42 pm »
The first thing I like is that there is no obviously overpowered card this time around. In 2019 we had Dockside Extortionist and in 2020 we had Fierce Guardianship. This time around all of the decks and cards seem balanced. It's nice. Guardian Augmenter comes close to being the chase card of the set, but I think it's fine.

One card that has my attention is Monologue Tax. Not the greatest, but it should give 2 or 3 treasures every turn cycle. It's actual ramp in white, which is a nice change.

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 03:36:27 pm »
Yep, I'm a big fan of this set. Lots of interesting but not broken cards, interesting commanders, decent reprints. Now all I need is for Lorehold Legacies to be reasonably priced on TCGPlayer so I can actually buy it. Osgir has been a blast when playtesting. I've made like 4 Coveted Jewel tokens with his 2nd ability (+ Anointed Procession), and have then sacced them before an opponent can attack me and take them >:D

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 11:43:37 pm »
Silverquill and Witherbloom were the only ones I bothered buying. Did order a single Guardian Augmenter though.
Blight Mound, Pest Infestation, and Bold Plagiarist interest me the most, though almost all of it can easily fit into what I've already got or have me thinking about building things I haven't before.

terminalgeek

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 09:49:55 pm »
Stinging Study is basically Ambition's Cost but one additional mana since it is instant speed (which I think is decent). However, it will definitely work well in my Jund Elf deck that runs Nadier Agent of the Duskenel as a partner. Some others that it makes me think of are Vilis, Broker of Blood and K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth.

I wonder if it works with Awaken the Blood Avatar or if it only counts the Extus, Oriq Overlord portion.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 11:02:01 pm »
Stinging Study

I wonder if it works with Awaken the Blood Avatar or if it only counts the Extus, Oriq Overlord portion.

Stinging Study does not specify that the Commander must be a commander creature.  Commander-ness is a trait of the card.  Not the creature.  Hence, the commander tax will apply to Extus or Awaken regardless of which side you are casting now and regardless of which side you have cast previously.

So, if the card is in the command zone, you can choose either side.

But, only Extus exists on the battlefield.  If Extus is on the battlefield, Awaken the Blood Avatar does not exist anywhere.

Bottomline:  Commander in the command zone, you can choose either side.  Commander on the battlefield, you can only choose the current face-up side.
Happy Brewing!
:)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 04:50:05 pm »
I am going to guess that this card will be the highly chase card in this boxed set. Archaeomancer's Map just will help anything in white just ramp and play lands especially where it says "put a land" so it allows you to put any land onto the battlefield
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me