deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Which mechanics and themes would you like to see a commander for?  (Read 1792 times)

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
Thinking back to C19, the mechanics Morph, flashback, populate, and madness got some real support. What mechanics would you like to see supported in a commander precon?

For me, it would be
Energy (temur or sultai)
Kicker (temur)
Inspired (jeskai)
-1/-1 counters  (Jund)
Meld (yes, it's obscure, but why not? Mardu colors have 100% of the meld cards in the game)
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Jedimasterben

• Decks
Re: Which mechanics and themes would you like to see a commander for?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 07:35:50 pm »
Everything you said 100%. I would love to see some more energy support.

Adding to the list:
Crew Mechanic: Vehicles
Transform: Maybe a mana costed ability to manually flip werewolves or other "transform" cards to make it less tribal specific. (Perfect for the new Return to Innastrad set coming)

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 08:26:44 pm »
I would love to see Ascend again. There was a discussion awhile back about mono white commanders with Ascend as a condition to provide ramp/card advantage, and I think it's perfect both mechanically and flavorfully for several new EDH-focused white cards.

I would also like to see Echo more. As a dirty Aristocrats player, it's a really fun & powerful mechanic that I try to include whenever possible.

Also, Gravestorm (only seen on Bitter Ordeal) is an incredibly busted mechanic, but I don't care. I derive too much enjoyment from pointing at a Viscera Seer, scooping up my entire boardstate, and putting it into my graveyard whilst informing my forlorn opponents of the million triggers I have, and Gravestorm plays perfectly into that.

Edit: For anyone like me who can't think of their favorite mechanics off the top of their head (:P), here's a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 01:42:55 am »
  • Abzan fateful hour.
  • Overrun tribal, anthem effects are doubled or something.
  • Chaos synergy, no idea how that would work though.
  • Probably the Epic keyword, but there is no way that is getting printed :(
  • See 1

TropicalBoi

• Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 01:59:24 am »
I would definitely have to go with Bushido! Samurai could've been one of the coolest tribes, but Wizard's made them really boring, and the tribe doesn't have a ton of creatures in it. Maybe having like an additional benefit for each creature you have that has Bushido, or just by making all of your creatures Samurai with Bushido X where X is it's power. I think they could do a lot with this, especially with more combat manipulation focused card like Fumiko the Lowblood! I think Naya colors would be great for this, as most Samurai are either red or white, and green gives access to ramp and Isao, Enlightened Bushi, the only green Samurai...

Another cool one that Wizards could mess with would maybe the Champion mechanic from Lorwyn block? It seemed lackluster, but I think if the Champions had better payoffs it would be quite a fun mechanic with blink.

And Finally, also from Lorwyn (I think), the Clash mechanic needs to happen more, and the stakes need to be raised higher! I can imagine having a ton of fun with a "clash tribal" EDH deck, but there is not enough cards that are worth running to make it a viable option.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:15:30 am by TropicalBoi »

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 07:32:20 am »
For me it would absolutely be Threshold - maybe in jund or sultai colors. This could also get a reprint in a standard set I would say.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

jlutzxinc

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 08:26:00 am »
Personally, I'd like any of the following.

From this thread: Ascend, Champion, Energy, and Threshold; these are my favorite four and the latter has returned (albeit sans keyword) on several cards even in recent Standard-legal sets.

Wildcard pick: Buyback, Flashback, Rebound, Retrace, etc., but all at once; I don't know why we need so many similar but not identical mechanics with no overlap.  I'll take Enbalm, Encore, Eternalize etc. in place of the former for the same reason.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:27:54 am by jlutzxinc »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 10:37:50 am »
My first thoughts went the same places as a lot of people on this thread.

I think a dedicated Energy commander would be sweet.

Threshold was my first choice too, although now I think about it I actually think Delirium might be better balanced for commander.

I'd love a Cycling commander with black in their colour identity too, so I could use Archfiend of Ifnir and Living End/Living Death.

And while there are already a lot of excellent commanders for it, I'd LOVE a dedicated dredge commander. Gitrog and Sidisi are already very powerful with dredge cards, but just a 2/2 for BG that said "if you would dredge a card, dredge twice that many cards instead" would be right up my street.

anjinsan

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 02:32:28 pm »
Boros enchantments?

Something more for suspend, perhaps?

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 06:16:11 am »
I'd love to see a commander that wants to be exiled or do something with exile along the lines of the processors in bfz maybe make it so you can cast your noncreature spells from exile if it is exiled or something like that. I'm thinking it could be a jeskai boros or azorius.

Feyamius

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 01:46:08 pm »
  • Energy (Yidris colors)
  • -1/-1 counters (under a legendary Etched Monstrosity)
  • Madness again, but seriously this time (Grixis)

poke6809

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 06:06:45 pm »
This might be a way too conservative take: none.

Before Gavi was printed we had so many approaches to find a good cycling commander. Now running something else seems obsolete. Similar applies to Kadena or Edgar Markov. I would prefer payoffs that give you some freedom instead of being a payoff for a single mechanic.
Companion mechanic finally brought XYZ's and Synchros to MtG, just what we needed. (they changed it because after literally killing every format they realized their design was horrible)

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 06:33:58 pm »
I'm actually with poke6809. I don't want commanders for specific keywords. I just want more support for underdeveloped mechanics.

...And a rainbow samurai legend.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

TropicalBoi

• Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 06:43:15 pm »
...And a rainbow samurai legend.

YES.

almagnus1

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:25 pm »
We could always bring back some esoteric mechanics like Arcane spells and splice from the Kamigawa block =D