deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What is your favourite win condition?  (Read 1229 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
What is your favourite win condition?
« on: April 25, 2021, 03:01:53 pm »
What is your favourite way to win? How many of your decks contain this win condition? Why do you like playing it? How reliable is it? Tell me everything about it!

You may also skirt around the subject of your favourite ways to lose as I assume there's going to be some overlap.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: What is your favourite win condition?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 04:22:55 pm »
At this point Hullbreacher wheels is my most common combo. It easily slots into almost every blue deck. I know it isn't technically a win on its own, but putting all your opponents in top-deck mode sets you up for the win.

Favorite combo: Atla Palani scrambled eggs. It's incredibly convoluted, but is easy to set up. For the setup, Atla needs a buff of some kind. It can be a +1/+1 counter or a temporary buff from something like Blossoming Defense. Then you need Mirror Entity on the battlefield. To start the combo, you put Mirror Entity's ability on the stack a thousand times or so, all for X=0. When the first trigger resolves all of your creatures become base 0/0 and gain all creature types, including egg. They all promptly die (except Atla, she has a buff) so Atla's trigger gets one other creature from the deck per creature that died. Once they are on the battlefield, the next instance of Mirror Entity's ability resolves and the process repeats. Also in the deck is Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and/or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, so once they show up the graveyard reshuffles so the process can continue. And because Kiki-Jiki is in the deck, he can be used to create a copy of something when he comes out, which increases the number of creatures each cycle. Eventually, thanks to Kiki-Jiki and the Eldrazi, all of the creatures in the deck will be leaving and re-entering the battlefield. So once all the Mirror Entity triggers have resolved, you can win with Kiki-Jiki + Village Bell-Ringer.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 08:33:47 pm »
Hullbreacher / Narset, Parter of Veils / Notion Thief + wheels is pretty brutal. I like that.

Morg's combo sounds really convoluted so that's nice. Remind me to take Thassa's Oracle out of my decks and replace it with Blue Sun's Zenith to shoot my opponents.

My favourite combo is *drumroll* untapping things! Mind Over Matter, Illusionist's Bracers, Rings of Brighthearth, Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter, Pemmin's Aura, Freed from the Real... Feels like a breeze to cobble together some infinite mana and then shoot my opponents to death with a Blue Sun's Zenith. Out of these my most popular combo is probably IsoRev but it's not my number one go to combo in most cases. I quite like the other alternatives even though IsoRev is on theme.

I like playing untaps for some unknown reason. I think I stumbled upon Merieke Ri Berit some years back and I fell in love with how broken the card is. Not necessarily overpowered but broken. Then I started putting together some untappers to activate her multiple times and I was hooked. It's difficult to respond to untaps without a Stifle so that's always nice. This brings me to the next question: is it reliable? Usually untappers fly under the radar and now with Kelpie Guide there are quite a few of them so it's likely that I would draw another one at some point in the game.

TL;DR There's just something really satisfying about untapping things that usually only untap in your untap step.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 09:22:19 pm »
My favourite win con is the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" board state that comes from Aristocrats decks. I love attacking into people knowing that whether they block or not, they're probably dead.

I especially like it when your sequencing matters. For example, when you have a Bloodsoaked Champion, Xathrid Necromancer, Blood Artist and Zulaport cutthroat out, knowing which order to sacrifice things in to get the most value. That's what I love.

Props to you MustaKotka for turning untapping into a wincon. I'm also a lover of untapping stuff. There is definitely something incredibly satisfying about it. Usually I just end up durdling and pissing off the table. Mostly because I try to avoid infinite combos with my untaps. Just gotta activate that trading post as many times as possible.

monkydonky1

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 09:35:47 pm »

WizardSpartan

• Red_Wyrm's boo
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 09:52:02 pm »
I especially like it when your sequencing matters. For example, when you have a Bloodsoaked Champion, Xathrid Necromancer, Blood Artist and Zulaport cutthroat out, knowing which order to sacrifice things in to get the most value. That's what I love.
YES! That's why I love non-infinite Ezuri & Aristocrats deck. It's so fun to sit there and know that you can somehow win, but you have to work to get there.

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 06:19:32 pm »
All the stuff y'all have mentioned is fun and cool and it all feels good when it works, but there is something satisfying about swinging in with a huge hit and being able to say, "That's 147 damage with trample."

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 08:25:59 pm »
Premise: I have a very casual mindset for the most part, meaning that I don't like games which are too high power.

Personally, I like win conditions that fit with the theme of the deck.
I don't really like win conditions that can slot in any deck or in too many, like Torment of Hailfire or Expropriate.

I enjoy creature decks, so I like combat based wincons like Triumph of the Hordes, True Conviction, Akroma's Will or even good old Overrun. I also like aristocrats-style and reanimator decks, so stuff like Zulaport Cuttroath and friends, or reanimating Gray Merchant of Asphodel over and over.

Also I don't really like infinite combos, but I occasionally play in some of my most competitive decks. When I do, however, I don't really look actively for the pieces, and I avoid putting too many powerful tutors in my decks. I think that cards like Vampiric Tutor and Demonic Tutor make the games a bit too "samey" but that's just me.

Finally, I prefer a wincons that try to end the game as soon as possible and not to drag it for several turns until a win is secured (exemple: mass land destruction while having a board advantage, or Hullbreacher + wheels, or some mass discard effect that doesn't hit the caster).

Golgari is life. And death.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 11:34:48 pm »
Premise: I have a very casual mindset for the most part, meaning that I don't like games which are too high power.

Personally, I like win conditions that fit with the theme of the deck.
I don't really like win conditions that can slot in any deck or in too many, like Torment of Hailfire or Expropriate.

I enjoy creature decks, so I like combat based wincons like Triumph of the Hordes, True Conviction, Akroma's Will or even good old Overrun. I also like aristocrats-style and reanimator decks, so stuff like Zulaport Cuttroath and friends, or reanimating Gray Merchant of Asphodel over and over.

Also I don't really like infinite combos, but I occasionally play in some of my most competitive decks. When I do, however, I don't really look actively for the pieces, and I avoid putting too many powerful tutors in my decks. I think that cards like Vampiric Tutor and Demonic Tutor make the games a bit too "samey" but that's just me.

Finally, I prefer a wincons that try to end the game as soon as possible and not to drag it for several turns until a win is secured (exemple: mass land destruction while having a board advantage, or Hullbreacher + wheels, or some mass discard effect that doesn't hit the caster).

Agree 100%
Happy Brewing!
:)

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 04:22:26 am »
My favorite has got to be my Athreos, God of Passage commander deck with Shadowborn Apostles.
Combo is Secret Salvage + Edgewalker + Tendrils of Agony.

All you need is to get 1 apostle in your graveyard (easiest before you cast Athreos, if your opponents know the combo), have your Edgewalker out, Salvage 40 apostles into your hand and then play them all for free, and then Tendrils for the win. If your Tendrils gets countered, no huge loss, tutor up 5 or 6 of your gnarliest demons and go to town! 🤣

MisterFather

• Mediocre deckbuilder and shitposter.
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 05:35:00 am »
My favorite win condition is definitely mill, but I don't get to use it too often in my group because our personal meta has reached a point where everyone has their own "that deck." You know, the one where when you see the sleeves you grab that one specific deck that causes someone else to grab their one specific deck and so on until you play out the same setup for the hundredth time. ;D Mine is a pretty standard turbofog that only uses defenders, so I have to use mill to win the game.

The simplest and nastiest way I've killed someone is by laying a Fraying Sanity on a buddy using Krenko, Mob Boss early on in a 4 man melee, "just as a reminder that I'm here," and then ignoring him. I hit him with Traumatize when he got too big for his britches. He gave me his best "you're next" smile before I reminded him of the curse I placed on him fifteen turns ago on my end step. I didn't even win that game lol
Traumatizing someone whose sanity is fraying is technically manslaughter.

stuffnsuch

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 12:54:56 am »
Ummm.... my favorite wincon is which ever one I haven't done yet.  I love to win in new and unique ways, particularly when it's a convoluted 4, 5, 6+ card combo.  I have a deck built around Morophon, the Boundless and the bannerettes and warchiefs that also reduce cost for a creature type to make all my changelings free.  Then I used something like Cloudstone Curio or Tidespout Tyrant to bounce my own changelings for infinite ETB's.  I found that if I had a Gemhide Sliver and a Gallia of the Endless Dance, I could also get infinite bounces off an Equilibrium.  Then I also have plenty of options on how I'm going to actually turn the ETB's into wins.  Though Impact Tremors is fine, I've enjoyed looking for other cards that make things interesting even once I've comboed off.
That's a combo I designed into my deck, but my Aristocrats deck once surprised me by going infinite in a way I'd never expected.  I had Pitiless Plunderer, Teysa Karlov, and Twilight Drover out, for sure, but I don't even remember all the other cards (maybe Reassembling Skeleton and Pawn of Ulamog?).  Basically I could produce enough mana from sacing the spirit tokens from the Drover to keep reactivating it, but because of Teysa, I got an extra +1/+1 counter each time.  I was sacrificing to a Fallen Angel, and I had one opponent with no blockers and another with no fliers, so I actually won with combat in an aristocrats deck.  Only time I've ever seen that happen.
My absolute favorite way to win is completely out of nowhere with a non-threatening deck that doesn't seem to be keeping up.  My favorite way to do that is using Skirk Fire Marshal, a couple untap effects and or damage doublers, and 4 or 9 other goblins, and, of course, a CoP:Red or something that no one worries about until it's too late.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 09:48:45 pm by stuffnsuch »

fluffyp

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 09:21:37 pm »
I like winning without using the combat step.  Mill is one of my favourites and always feels great, especially in a game format like commander because actually milling 3 plus other opponents is not as easy as it sounds.  I have to stick to one or two crazy mill games a month, however, as the rest of my group hate it when I play mill (not as much as they hate my ninjas, however).

I like creature decks when they do unexpected things as well - basically, when I've built a deck that turns out smarter than I am and it does something I didn't realise it could do.

MajordomoTom

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 04:54:35 am »
with my Edgar Markov deck, playing Sanctum Seeker and then pushing a large attack.

with Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose, even more "amusing" to double that effect ...

It's hard when my "I declare attackers" step kills you without worrying about any responses to that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:56:34 am by MajordomoTom »