deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Another round of absolute jank: Toski Combat Tricks Voltron  (Read 516 times)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
Another round of absolute jank: Toski Combat Tricks Voltron
« on: April 30, 2021, 03:17:26 pm »
One deck building restriction: the deck consists of lands, instants and sorceries. The aim is to get Toski, Bearer of Secrets out asap, then win with commander damage. I'm struggling with mass removal. I don't like the X-spells that only destroy flying creatures, they don't help me remove my opponents' blockers. Getting Toski to connect with an opponent is also difficult. The spells granting trample are pretty small so Toski is very likely to be chump blocked even if you pump their power. Any help?

https://deckstats.net/decks/93006/2046699-toski-combat-tricks
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Re: Another round of absolute jank: Toski Combat Tricks Voltron
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 03:31:36 pm »
Not sure about the mass removal yet, but one option for getting through with Toski could be Predatory Focus. Doesn't matter how much they chump him, you can get everything through. Plus, as Toski is indestructible, it doesn't really matter that it's still technically being blocked.

I'll keep thinking, but Predatory Focus was my first thought. Will add more ideas if I think of any.

Sweet deck dude!

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 03:43:18 pm »
[...]but one option for getting through with Toski could be Predatory Focus.
This will most likely go in. I mean, five mana is a lot (it'll be hard to pump Toski at the same time) but that definitely solves some problems. Also it's a sorcery, which is sad.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 05:03:36 pm »
Struggling with mass removal is kind of a given in mono green. Especially with only instants and sorceries. You can't really run something like The Great Aurora, because your opponents will probably benefit more. You can't run Bane of Progress because it's a creature, and Nevinyrral's Disk because it's an artifact. There really aren't options in green for mass creature removal of non-fliers.

You might consider running more spells that give +1/+1 counters instead of temporary boosts. That would at least allow you to go tall with Toski. Aside from that, this seems like a particularly difficult build challenge, given that Toski is much better in swarm decks and a lot of green voltron is locked behind permanents.

EDIT: Endless Swarm could be funny jank though for a "no permanents" swarm deck.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:06:52 pm by Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 05:49:39 pm »
Counters are a good idea. I need to look up some cards once I get home.

Also I think the Aurora could be a good card. Looks like a decent card anyway. I get that my opponents will go through a lot more cards but then again I really struggle with removal so that could work out fine.

EDIT: I only found three decent ones: Decree of Savagery (cycled), Hunt the Weak and Soul's Might.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:15:36 pm by MustaKotka »

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 12:46:03 am »
Green board wipes are hard to come by.  They are going to be conditional - like only destroying flyers.

There's Arachnogenesis.  Conditional upon your opponent attacking you with the thing you want to kill.  And I don't know if Spider tokens are within the ethos of our deck.

Chain of Acid is only conditional upon your opponent(s) choosing to continue to target things.

And I would propose that while Nevinyrral's Disk is not technically an instant spell, it is activated at instant speed.  And until then, it does nothing but sit there on your field and look intimidating.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 01:11:24 am »
Green board wipes are hard to come by.  They are going to be conditional - like only destroying flyers.

There's Arachnogenesis.  Conditional upon your opponent attacking you with the thing you want to kill.  And I don't know if Spider tokens are within the ethos of our deck.

Chain of Acid is only conditional upon your opponent(s) choosing to continue to target things.

And I would propose that while Nevinyrral's Disk is not technically an instant spell, it is activated at instant speed.  And until then, it does nothing but sit there on your field and look intimidating.
No love for Nev's Disk this time. But I added that Arachnogenesis, it's an instant and acts like a fog!

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 11:45:06 am »
Board wipes is not something green really does... Maybe you can consider All is Dust? But it will hit Toski too.

Too bad you're not considering equipments, 'cause your question got me thinking about Toski wielding a Worldslayer...  ;D
Golgari is life. And death.