deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Modern Horizons Spoilers  (Read 7257 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Modern Horizons Spoilers
« on: May 07, 2021, 02:07:29 am »

I forgot to mention this, but I did make one change to my bingo card. No more after this.

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: Modern Horizons Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 05:05:24 am »
I almost feel like Urza's Saga should count as a new fetch wizard for your card. Sure, it's not Totem Mage (they've really used most of the good T words already), but it functions very similarly and is on flavor.

I mean, it has THE artificer wizard on it.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 05:39:27 am »
I think Urza's Saga best fits the "old mechanic on a new card type" box.

It's a saga.  On an enchantment.  And on a land.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 06:09:39 am »
The sub-type Urza's Saga makes me feel like there could be more character-related land-/weird stuff-sagas. Maybe something with an X in it's cost that repeats one phase X times. Or it depends on X's value which phases get triggered.

Counterspell entering modern could cause some people to fuss. => absolutely not me, though!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:16:35 am by Akira Foxmind »
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 08:04:13 am »
The sub-type Urza's Saga makes me feel like there could be more character-related land-/weird stuff-sagas. Maybe something with an X in it's cost that repeats one phase X times. Or it depends on X's value which phases get triggered.

Conveniently, these are both already existing subtypes.  Urza's is already a land subtype on the Urzatron.  And Saga is an enchantment subtype.  It is simultaneously Land - Urza's AND Enchantment - Saga.

Happy Brewing!

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 08:14:00 am »

Conveniently, these are both already existing subtypes.  Urza's is already a land subtype on the Urzatron.  And Saga is an enchantment subtype.  It is simultaneously Land - Urza's AND Enchantment - Saga.

I never realised that the tron lands have an Urza's subtype. ::)
That makes other similar subtypes a lot less likely to follow. I'll stay with a saga that has X in its cost, though. I somehow like the idea.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 08:32:35 am »
I think that creating copies of the cleric would be strong for a lockout style deck. Imagine playing a W/U deck that controls your opponents to the point where they can only play creatures. That would be hard to get around.

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:36:42 am »
Urza's Saga seems very strong.

Initially I thought that the ability to tap for mana only lasted one turn, however it lasts until it's sacrificed.

And when it's sacrificed I can fetch Sol Ring / Mana Crypt (or even Skullclamp, Sensei's Divining Top etc.) on the battlefiled?
Nuts  :o
Golgari is life. And death.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 05:19:37 pm »
Urza's Saga is a powerful land. I mean it's bad to drop on turn 3 or 4 or later because it won't have time to affect the game too much. But as a turn 1 drop it's great. If it finds a mana rock (for example Sol Ring in EDH) it will replace itself or produce a net gain in available mana. I think it's a powerful land not to be underestimated. Perhaps cEDH won't play it but lower power decks will definitely be interested in it.

Some cool things about it:

A saga has the lore counter placed on it as a turn based action that can't be responded to. Then the appropriate chapter triggers, which can be responded to. The Saga won't leave the battlefield (as a state based action) until the trigger has fully resolved. This means that A) you can float one mana from the land, then go find your Sol Ring and have three mana available to you on that turn and B) you can remove counters from the Saga with e.g. Clockspinning, Hex Parasite, or Power Conduit. This will effectively remove a lore counter from it preventing it from being leaving the battlefield but chapter III will still resolve. This is because the Saga's trigger will check the number of lore counters on resolution for whether it will go to the graveyard, not when the chapter triggers. Which chapter triggers is checked at the time when the trigger is placed on the stack, hence you can repeatedly have the same chapter trigger. Rinse and repeat for a free tutor on every turn of yours.

If you can get that ball rolling you're in a good place considering the abundance of cheap mana rocks and combo/synergy pieces. I can see this being relevant in many decks, not just ones that proliferate.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 06:46:52 pm »
A saga has the lore counter placed on it as a turn based action that can't be responded to. Then the appropriate chapter triggers, which can be responded to. The Saga won't leave the battlefield (as a state based action) until the trigger has fully resolved. This means that A) you can float one mana from the land, then go find your Sol Ring and have three mana available to you on that turn and B) you can remove counters from the Saga with e.g. Clockspinning, Hex Parasite, or Power Conduit. This will effectively remove a lore counter from it preventing it from being leaving the battlefield but chapter III will still resolve. This is because the Saga's trigger will check the number of lore counters on resolution for whether it will go to the graveyard, not when the chapter triggers. Which chapter triggers is checked at the time when the trigger is placed on the stack, hence you can repeatedly have the same chapter trigger. Rinse and repeat for a free tutor on every turn of yours.

Urza's Saga + Nesting Grounds:D

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 06:51:13 pm »
Nesting Grounds says "Activate only as a sorcery." Doesn't work because you need to respond at instant speed. I mean yes, you could repeat chapters I and II but those aren't that useful.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 07:21:32 pm »
Nesting Grounds says "Activate only as a sorcery." Doesn't work because you need to respond at instant speed. I mean yes, you could repeat chapters I and II but those aren't that useful.

Damn, I forgot about the sorcery thing!  :(

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 11:14:02 pm »
So back to the Bingo board ...

Diamond Lion is a creature version of Lion's Eye Diamond.
Happy Brewing!

Red_Wyrm

• I'm the boss of the forums.
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 05:42:58 am »

Magus of the Lion is a creature version of Lion's Eye Diamond.

Fixed the name for you.
Well I couldn't decide if it should be Magus of the Lion, Eye or Diamond.
My King Baby said yes!
I thought you'd never ask
Also, I always spell your name correctly, Red_Wurm.  :)

Please, it is Red

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 05:24:53 pm »

Magus of the Lion is a creature version of Lion's Eye Diamond.

Fixed the name for you.
Well I couldn't decide if it should be Magus of the Lion, Eye or Diamond.

My new ambition is to use Magus of the Lion to activate Magus of the Will. It'll be like vintage, and yet it'll be nothing like vintage.

Also, good to see you around Red_Wyrm. Haven't seen you on here for a bit (although I'm pretty oblivious to most things so could have just missed it). Hope you're doing OK.