deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best pack you've ever opened?  (Read 2331 times)

CleanBelwas

• Decks
Best pack you've ever opened?
« on: May 29, 2021, 05:53:34 pm »
The other night, my friends and I were able to play our first games in paper since the pandemic started (rules where we live have just allowed it).

To celebrate, one of our group bought some packs along as gifts. We all got some reasonably spicy pulls, but I ended up opening the best pack I have ever opened.

It was a Strixhaven Set Booster, and the highlights were as follows:

Double rare pack with Sedgemoor Witch and Vanishing Verse. Two very playable cards (Sedgemoor Witch is low key one of my favourite cards for a long time).
Mystical Archive card was Regrowth (which is also at "rare" so maybe a triple rare pack? Not sure how the mystical archive rarities work out compared to normal), a perfectly playable card with wonderful art.
A foil Solve the Equation, another very playable card.
And from The List, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth.

Needless to say, I was pretty excited.

It's a pretty strong pack. Not the best ever (I've heard people say about seeing people open JTMS, foil JTMS in the same pack), but I was super stoked.

Obviously, cracking packs for value is dumb, but sometimes it's just nice to open packs.

So, what was the best pack you ever opened?

xccmcdonald

• Decks
Re: Best pack you've ever opened?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 07:43:04 pm »
So, when they were first rolling out Collector Boosters with Eldraine, a lot of non-LGS retailers were stocking and pricing them as normal boosters. I bought six of them from a Barnes & Noble and opened a foil extended art Once Upon a Time. I waited a little long to sell it, so I didn’t get peak value (~$120) from the big tournament period and before the Standard banning, but I still net money over the cost of the packs and the cost of driving around ~1 hour and a half to find boosters.

I realize this makes me sound like a scalper, but I figured it didn’t cost the retail workers anything and I wasn’t fighting people for it so...all good? Not sure I would ever go out of my way for that sort of thing again, though, and it still felt kinda like I was getting away with something I shouldn’t.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 10:11:37 pm by xccmcdonald »

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 09:27:53 pm »
In a worldwake only draft I opened two Jace the mindscupltors back to back and won off of playing a bunch of low to the ground creatures and Jace. I was so happy especially after I ended up getting 3 more out of the packs I won.

Piere

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 07:10:41 am »
Bought a pack of Origins when it came out and pulled two copies of Jace, Vryn's Prodigy. One was a foil.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 07:02:16 pm »
Not so much a pack, but a Strixhaven set booster box with twelve mythics, including 3x Beledros Witherbloom, one of which was a foil borderless variant. The last pack had both a Will/Rowan and one of the Beledros Witherbloom s
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Royce

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 08:00:03 pm »
I got a normal saheeli rai and a foil one in the same pack. I thought that was cool.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 08:45:36 pm »
My best pack so far is a draw between a modern masters 17 booster with Scalding Tarn and a Foil Craterhoof Behemoth behind it and a commander legends collector booster which gave me a fullart foil Mana Drain.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 01:50:18 am »
During a pre-release I opened a master piece sword of feast and famine which I still own. My favorite pack pull was getting my 1st planeswalker ok Karn Liberated
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 10:01:44 am »
I don't buy much sealed product and I never opened an incredible pack, but the pack that felt the most awesome for me was opening a Visara the Dreadful when I had just started playing the game, during Onslaught block.

I remember staring at her in awe, thinking I had just found the strongest card in the game. I ended up trading her, a decision which I regret.
Golgari is life. And death.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 01:59:13 am »
My students asked me if they could use my classroom for a draft of Kaladesh, and needed me to play to even out the numbers. I end up drafting a terrible vehicles deck. We had just enough people to play, so we all split prize packs; I came in dead last, so I only got one. I try to refuse, but they insist I keep the prize pack since I did so poorly. I literally say, "Well, I earned this," as I open a Sword of Feast and Famine masterpiece. I did not earn it.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 02:32:37 am »
I don't buy much sealed product and I never opened an incredible pack, but the pack that felt the most awesome for me was opening a Visara the Dreadful when I had just started playing the game, during Onslaught block.
Same as The Golgari Guy: I just don't rely on boosters and never bought sealed products. Probably, the best pick from a booster was back in 10 years ago, when I was just starting in the game. I bought Duel Decks: Knights vs. Dragons and I won an extra booster with an additional Knight Exemplar in my Knights deck and an additional Dragonspeaker Shaman, although I don't play more than 1 in Draconomicon and the aforementioned deck, just it was nice to have it. As a matter of fact, I believe I bought additional Dragonspeaker Shaman, years ago, but I ditched it out or exchanged for something else at LGS in Bulgaria.

Kilian148

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 12:27:39 pm »
it´s maybe not ma most valueable pack ever but definetly my heart favorite. i had enough money on card market left to buy 3 packs of kahns of tarkir. i buyed them because i love to open packs and wanted a fetch ever since i knew they were a thing. I got my gf to open this three for me and one of them contained a windswepth heath. the last pack and i was lucky as fuck. its my only fetch to this day too.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 07:46:04 am »
Probably not the best pack I've ever opened, but my favorite pack was M14. Opened a pack with a Kalonian Hydra and a foil Archangel of Thune. I was in love with both cards at the time and had schemed decks for both in my head.
This space for rent.

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 09:13:48 pm »
In a sealed pre-release event for Core 2019, I opened a pack with Tezzeret, Artifice Master, a foil Tezzeret, Artifice Master, an Air Elemental, and a Waterknot. I did very well that night

chet.skolos

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 05:16:37 am »
No Mythics, No Foils, but opening 12 rare cards in a single pack is crazy:  Back when they were new, I helped open a friend's box of revised boosters. Half the box, 18 of the packs did not have commons, instead rare cards took their place. Total of 234 rare cards in that box. The box had everything, except green ward.