deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: D&D Forgotten Realms Spoilers!  (Read 4342 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
D&D Forgotten Realms Spoilers!
« on: June 07, 2021, 07:37:56 pm »
Hey all! This is a thread dedicated to the new standard expansion, if you have not guessed from the title. :)

First off, I must say, I am not a fan of Wizards of The Coast using D&D/ MTG crossovers to advertise their products.
But, as I do love Forgotten Realms, I can forgive them, a little.
I used to DM a Forgotten Realms (FR) campaign; it was all the rage, from Sembia to the Sword Coast.
(If you know!)

Anyway *coughs* I shall spoil them for you, and! I will even throw in the lore, how about that?
(I mean you did not ask for it, but you are going to get it!)

Okay, let us start with the deities of Faerûn, Tiamat. You have no doubt heard the name before. The character features in a plethora of game/book esoteric lore.

There are two types of dragon kind, in FR, chromatic and metallic. Those of Tiamat (chromatic) and Bahamat (metallic). Chromatic dragons being innately evil and metallic being good. As such, Tiamat is considered to be the queen of the chromatic dragons (Blue, Red, White, Green, Black - each of her heads)
Tiamat is a lesser deity of the FR pantheon (I’m not going to go into too much detail about pantheons because it can become somewhat complicated.) suffice to say, deities of FR are considered beyond the capabilities of even the most powerful mortal characters in FR.
Tiamat is currently, as far as I know, residing in Avernus, the 1st of the Nine Hells of Baator and acts as the guardian of the portal between Avernus and Dis the 2nd level of Baator.

As a card I would say that she is underpowered, considerably.
A seven mana (5c) 7/7 with only flying as a key worded ability, but a powerful commander-esque ETB trigger?

Lolth next! As a planeswalker no less...
She’s considered a greater deity in FR, and is the main deity of the drow/dark elven pantheon. She rules, absolutely, from her realm, The Demonweb Pits, in the infinite layers of the Abyss.
Denizens of the Abyss are considered chaotic evil, for alignment purposes, as such, Lolth and her followers are considered chaotic evil by nature (polar opposite of the Nine Hells – being Lawful Evil). One of her many titles is the Spider Queen, as shown, the literal meaning of the title is that she is known to favour spiders (you probably knew that already) and turns insolent male drow into Driders, humanoid spiders, as is her whim.

As a card I think she is underpowered.
A 5 mana planeswalker will affect the board late game, even with the ability to create two 2/1 spiders with her -3/5 to protect herself, they are far too weak with sweepers. Her static ability to gain loyalty when your creatures die, is useful, but is it enough? You want a finisher, and her emblem certainly enables that but that is a minimum of 2 turns away, assuming you have creatures die (the only way of gaining loyalty) on your opponents and your turns.

As a planeswalker? I do not personally think that is an appropriate match. As far as I am aware she is restricted to her plane on the Abyss.

Drizzt Do’Urden is one the main characters in the FR universe, and is the protagonist of the book series by R.A Salvatore.
Drizzt is difficult to summarise here, as his lore is considerable. What I will say, is that he is a drow, that has exiled himself from his subterranean home, and has dedicated himself to good, being renowned as a hero in Faerun (Mostly known in the north - Icewind Dale).
He is usually adventuring alone, or with his companions; Catti Brie, Bruenor Battlehammer, Wulfgar and Regis.
He is a ranger primarily and a master of two-weapon combat. He is the chosen of a greater deity named Mielikki a patron deity of rangers, as such it makes him an immensely powerful character.
As a card I think he is underpowered, heavily. A legendary 5 mana 3/3 with a 4/1 token, ETB trigger, is not going to impact the board turn 5. Especially without haste and double strike does not protect it from instant/ sorcery removal.

Finally, for the named characters, Bruenor Battlehammer. One of Drizzt’s companions (as mentioned) and the king of the Dwarven realm, The Mithral Hall. I will not go into his lore, as he’s inextricably connected to Drizzt Do’Urden’s character. All I will add is that he was forced to flee The Mithral Hall as a child because a shadow dragon, Shimmergloom had lain siege to it with his duergar minions.

As a card I would say that it is quite powerful, but requires synergy with equipment. We will see what other equipment will be provided in this set! Currently we have Vorpal Sword, which is powerful, but is a poor match for a boros card.

I hope you have enjoyed the rundown, so far. I will add more as the set is spoilt.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:48:04 pm by Mnemosyne »

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
Re: D&D Forgotten Realms Spoilers!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 09:16:52 pm »
That was very interesting to read, thanks!

I don't know anything about Forgotten Realms, but I can say that Tiamat's ability looks crazy strong to me. Tutoring for the 5 best Dragons in your deck is incredibly strong (tutor 5 times for only 7 mana?!), and can be used to set up game-winning scenarios.
Golgari is life. And death.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 09:22:26 pm »

I don't know anything about Forgotten Realms, but I can say that Tiamat's ability looks crazy strong to me. Tutoring for the 5 best Dragons in your deck is incredibly strong (tutor 5 times for only 7 mana?!), and can be used to set up game-winning scenarios.
I'm not sure it's that great. Tooth and Nail lets you grab ANY two creatures AND play them for free for only two more mana, and without the color restrictions. Just getting dragons to hand doesn't sound great, unless you immediately dump your hand and Patriarch's Bidding, but that's asking a lot.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 10:55:04 pm »

I'm not sure it's that great. Tooth and Nail lets you grab ANY two creatures AND play them for free for only two more mana, and without the color restrictions. Just getting dragons to hand doesn't sound great, unless you immediately dump your hand and Patriarch's Bidding, but that's asking a lot.

I mean, it's not like it's broken or game-winning, but getting a 7/7 flyer and tutoring 5 times for 7 mana seems pretty absurd to me.

Also it should probably be possible to set up some winning states after the tutoring (maybe involving Food Chain or something similar?) but I'm not sure about that.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 01:19:44 am »
Will Bahamut be a card? I'm very loyal to Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate series. I remember there was Draconomicon style of book from d&d 3,5. Looking at Drizzt Do'Urden I guess it's meant to boost Green-White Elves like Rhys the Redeemed. Most Tribal Elves are Green-Black like Tyvar Kell and the tribal land Gilt Leaf Palace. Of course they can be made mono-Green like a dumb Duel Deck, but it is what it is. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Forgotten Realms, especially the Dragon side. I certainly can afford to buy Bruenor Battlehammer for my Dwarven Vehicles deck. I'll be able probably to find a place for Tiamat (if she's not insanely expensive), but it'll be in expense of Intet, Rith or another Dragon since most of the spots are taken. Let's wait for more spoilers.
Regards,
Chavo

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 05:07:56 am »
Will Bahamut be a card?

Probably, though at least one bit of art involving him doesn't have him in dragon form.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 01:10:21 pm »

I mean, it's not like it's broken or game-winning, but getting a 7/7 flyer and tutoring 5 times for 7 mana seems pretty absurd to me.

Also it should probably be possible to set up some winning states after the tutoring (maybe involving Food Chain or something similar?) but I'm not sure about that.

My Morophon dragons build could play easily dump all five onto the field immediately, for free, with haste. Pretty game ending.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 05:17:20 pm »

You're welcome! :)

When writing this particular post, I had intended to evaluate Tiamat strictly for the Standard format. Whilst tutoring for 5 dragons is good, in this instance, a 5c mana card is far too difficult to mana fix to be viable for a standard deck. For seven mana you want something that can threaten an end to the game, whilst being able to protect itself. For example, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, a card that immediately affects the board-state. It removes two opposing permanents and has indestructible, the ability to protect itself from instants like, Murder. It then threatens the game's end because you either deal with the card or have 10 damage dealt, potentially, to you and 20 cards exiled. Tiamat gives you a card advantage, this is true, but unless you can play those cards for free, which is where the true threat would lie. Unless you have the mana, you would need to wait until you could cast those dragons. You would find this card of more use in the commander format, I'm sure.  :)

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 07:55:26 pm »
Mnemnosyne, I believe Tiamat is part of Commander line product called Draconic Rage part of the regular set. I guess she's the Commander herself. That said there probably might be more Dragons, but she's trully only for Commander. More Dragons for Modern, but maybe more for Commander as well. O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami was fantastic in last Dragon set, so let's keep fingers crossed for more like him. Bahamut perhaps? Combining both editions? Who knows.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 08:41:00 pm »
I want an entire tribe based on Primus and the modrons. I want more artifacts like the Vorpal Sword. I want more spells based on DnD spells like Power Word: Kill, like Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting and Prismatic Wall.

Instead I got Drizzt. Boo.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 06:16:05 pm »
Mnemnosyne, I believe Tiamat is part of Commander line product called Draconic Rage part of the regular set. I guess she's the Commander herself. That said there probably might be more Dragons, but she's trully only for Commander. More Dragons for Modern, but maybe more for Commander as well. O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami was fantastic in last Dragon set, so let's keep fingers crossed for more like him. Bahamut perhaps? Combining both editions? Who knows.
Uhhh, Tiamat is part of the main set. Notice her collectors number?
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

The Golgari Guy

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 08:01:57 pm »
When writing this particular post, I had intended to evaluate Tiamat strictly for the Standard format.

I see! In that case, sure. I was mainly thinking about how it would perform in Commander!

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 11:08:56 pm »
Uhhh, Tiamat is part of the main set. Notice her collectors number?
Oh, OK. Sure. But I think, she's truly for EDH, mostly. I find it hard to believe she'll feature at FNMs but who knows. Maybe more in Draconic Rage will follow.
Regards:
Chavo

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 07:51:59 pm »
I am going to focus on two new spoilers today, as well as one I have previously spoilt.

There are a few signature spells in Forgotten Realms, Tasha's Hideous Laughter is one of them, as well spells like Larloch's Minor Drain, Aganazzar's Scorcher, Melf's Acid Arrows, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Mestil's Acid Sheath, Bigby's (Hands) & as @Slyvester12 mentioned Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting.

What I am concerned about is that Tasha's Hideous Laughter is in no way representative of its FR spell counterpart. Tasha's is a second level spell out of a possible nine spell levels, excluding epic levels. Which means, that the spell is of a low level, and in no way, should it be considered a rare card. Its effect also differs; Tasha's is an enchantment spell that makes a creature lose its' action for the duration of the spell. If I was to transcribe that on a card I would have the property do something in the vicinity of 1) Sorcery - Until end of turn creatures your opponent controls cannot block attacking creatures you control. 2)  Flash enchantment - for as long as this enchantment remains on the battlefield enchanted creature cannot block. I am not even certain the card designers have even played D&D let alone Forgotten Realms. But... We will see if future cards will similar.

Power Word Kill is a great FR spell and it actually does in essence what the spell does as a MTG card. However, it is a spell of a high level, level nine of a possible nine, which would make it one of the most powerful spells and deserving of a rare card. Something on the same level as Vraska's Contempt, however, without the exile ability. Whilst PWK is a powerful spell there are restrictions, and creatures that are immune to death spells 'demons' being one of them, well the card text is accurate. I would, however, would have liked if the card did more, as I feel it is not in keeping with the spell's FR counterpart.

Flumph! I actually had to read up on the lore of this card, because it is not a creature I have encountered in FR. And whilst the artwork is on par with what a Flumph actually is, I do not agree with the card's colour nor its description text.
Let me explain!
A Flumph is a low challenge rating creature somewhere in the region of level 1-3 (definitely not a powerful creature) it is also a semi-sentient psionic life-form, I would say their closest MTG analogue would be a fungus? A creature that feeds on residual psionic energy from other psionic beings, like Aboleth and Illithid (Mind Flayers) and so are found living near these creature's lairs. They often accidentally 'absorb' bad thoughts (evil knowledge) from these creatures via circumstance and absolutely 'hate' it. This is because they are of a good alignment, so when an opportunity presents itself, they offload their knowledge onto good aligned beings that cross their path, not because they necessarily consider it a gift but because they don't want to hold onto it. Something akin to a symbiotic exchange that is partially beneficial to the adventurer to warn them that they are in danger and yet beneficial to the other organism because it is a way of ridding themselves of this unwanted knowledge.

Anyway, I hope you liked the information! More to come, I imagine.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 10:49:59 pm »
Mnemnosyne, respect. I didn't know you were such a Forgotten Realms D&D lady-buff. I remember Power Word Kill, due to my experiences with Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale included, although it's not commonly achieved spell, and I only like to Arteplid in 4-party Half Elven machinery that just does good almost any impossible way, but no Power Word Kill at found or bought scrolls around Kuldahar for my Mage/Thief let alone the counterpartish Bard. I'm amazed back to thing, that you know what is Flumph and to such degree know the lore of this fantastic campaign setting and fantasy world it is.
Regards: Chavo