deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: With the explosion of treasure cards  (Read 1339 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
With the explosion of treasure cards
« on: July 29, 2021, 03:20:36 pm »
I came across a card and with now so many cards that can create treasures in particular. At 3 mana and also with clues/food and other artifacts hitting the graveyard more. How good has this card become?

Drawing cards especially in particular when an opponent sacs a treasure token never mind any other artifact that goes to the graveyard. This card just doesn't seem so dead on the battlefield when it was first printed. I am thinking now of including it a couple of green decks just because of the card draw alone. My question now is has it got that much better since treasures are now becoming a thing?
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Slyvester12

• Decks
Re: With the explosion of treasure cards
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 03:35:43 pm »
That seems more like a meta call than an auto include. If you see lots of treasures at your LGS, that's probably a great find.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 03:48:59 pm »
I just think it has increased its value because of the treasures/clue/food, more single target removal of artifacts. Before the explosion of all that it was more meta dependent. It just wouldn't seem like it would be a dead card on the playing field compared to when the card first came out. I am not saying the card is great but it's draw value has definitely changed for the better.

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 04:08:09 pm »
It can be a great card in the right meta. I think there's nothing wrong with snagging a few copies, especially since it's very cheap.

If you like that one, by the way, you'll probably also like this:

Golgari is life. And death.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 04:49:24 pm »
It can be a great card in the right meta. I think there's nothing wrong with snagging a few copies, especially since it's very cheap.

If you like that one, by the way, you'll probably also like this:

LOL I would but it is a 6 drop on a stick. With the way the meta is getting faster paying 6 for this when there is other and better things to do with 6 mana just isn't as good as the 3 mana draw a card.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 05:03:09 pm »
Just this week, while playing at my LGS, I noticed the abundance of Treasure-type ramp.  I was wondering if there was a way to capitalize on it.  This looks like a good option.  I'll have to see which deck I want it in.

My search has only come across one other card with a decent effect for it's mana value: Disciple of the Vault.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 05:07:10 pm »
Just this week, while playing at my LGS, I noticed the abundance of Treasure-type ramp.  I was wondering if there was a way to capitalize on it.  This looks like a good option.  I'll have to see which deck I want it in.

My search has only come across one other card with a decent effect for it's mana value: Disciple of the Vault.
My favorite way to mess with treasures, clues, etc... would just be Null Rod. Requires some deck building changes, but it works.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 05:08:07 pm »
LOL I would but it is a 6 drop on a stick. With the way the meta is getting faster paying 6 for this when there is other and better things to do with 6 mana just isn't as good as the 3 mana draw a card.

Sure, this is more useful if you're also doing something with treasure. In a casual build that plays many treasure-based cards (let's say Old Gnawbone or Korvold, for example), it can do some work  :)
Golgari is life. And death.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 05:13:24 pm »
Good find robort. I want to try this out. I'm not sure if there are enough treasure-based decks but it's worth testing out.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 05:20:44 pm »
I just realized a Smothering Tithe opponent won't mind this card at all used against them. Opponent cracks a treasure, you draw a card, can't/won't pay 2, make a treasure, crack treasure, you draw a card, you can't/won't pay 2... Smothering Tithe player can make treasures, float mana till their hearts content. Oops I noticed it says "may" draw a card. However with the Political aspect this type of play could be interesting
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 05:38:32 pm by robort »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 05:34:40 pm »
Good find robort. I want to try this out. I'm not sure if there are enough treasure-based decks but it's worth testing out.

Neither am I but with dockside extortionist and smother tithe out in the meta I am sure the card draw would be worth it. I don't see it really as being much of a negative card unless of course it comes in late game. I just can't seem to see a negative value of where you aren't drawing on avg at least 1 card per game when this card is played.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 05:40:40 pm »
Nice find! It's definitely something I'm going to keep in my mind as I watch my meta as we return to "normal play" at the LGS. I have a feeling it could be very useful.
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 06:01:10 pm »
Plus a friend just mentioned to me that Vandleblast is also a thing that also helps out this card :)

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 09:39:50 pm »
Looks like a solid card. I don't like treasures so maybe this is something I could play. Also like Insight even though I don't play it in any of my decks (yet).
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

Firegriff

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 02:13:47 am »
... Am I remembering wrong, but I thought, as tokens, clues and treasures did not go to the graveyard?