English-language Forums > General Magic

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt spoilers

<< < (7/8) > >>

WWolfe:

--- Quote from: jlutzxinc on September 08, 2021, 04:26:55 pm ---Snapcaster Mage is already banned in at least one format; they had to make one that's THAT MUCH better?

--- End quote ---

What format is Snapcaster banned in? I can't think of one.

ETA- when I look on the gatherer, they have him legal in all four formats he would be legal in.  (Modern, Vintage, Legacy, and Commander)

Anyway, as for the card itself...so the most anti-blue card in this set is in blue.  ;D

WizardSpartan:

--- Quote from: jlutzxinc on September 08, 2021, 04:26:55 pm ---Holy $#!+.  It wasn't enough to make the now-ubiquitous "everything gets this set's mechanic" card, but they had to make everything UNCOUNTERABLE too?  Seriously?  Snapcaster Mage is already banned in at least one format; they had to make one that's THAT MUCH better?

What's that?  People ONLY cast Counterspells with Snapcaster, and the effect is symmetrical so it's bad?  As if.  I'm just about done with the powercreep in Standard.  Other formats and I MIGHT not care, but this will be IN STANDARD.  WTF WOTC.

--- End quote ---
It's also 5 mana and doesn't do anything by itself. It's been awhile since I've played Standard, but creatures that cost 5-6+ mana should either give you guaranteed value or be difficult to remove. This is neither. At best, you wait until you have 6-7 mana so you can play it and replay a cantrip. Also, it does turn off some of blue's most powerful instants, which means there's a serious opportunity cost to including him.

jlutzxinc:

--- Quote from: WWolfe on September 08, 2021, 04:30:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: jlutzxinc on September 08, 2021, 04:26:55 pm ---Snapcaster Mage is already banned in at least one format; they had to make one that's THAT MUCH better?

--- End quote ---

What format is Snapcaster banned in? I can't think of one.

ETA- when I look on the gatherer, they have him legal in all four formats he would be legal in.  (Modern, Vintage, Legacy, and Commander)

Anyway, as for the card itself...so the most anti-blue card in this set is in blue.  ;D

--- End quote ---
Fixed, sorry.  Occasionally the official Banlist page bugs out; at one point Lucky Clover was missing from the Standard section, and Wizards had to put it back.  That isn't to say that Snapcaster was NEVER banned in Modern, but it's been off for years and that bug made me think it was back.

The Golgari Guy:

--- Quote from: The Golgari Guy on August 28, 2021, 12:57:07 pm ---Personally, I'm hoping that there aren't too many cards that are good for my decks because I've been buying too many singles lately  :D

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty happy. The only card I really want from the set is Cathartic Pyre, and I preordered a Vanquish the Horde since it's gonna be a staple. Maybe I'll get some of the new "slow" lands, but I don't really need them.

So in the end, only 2 cards that I really want. I consider this a win  :)

WWolfe:
Preordered Vanquish the Horde (just because), Champion of the Perished (for Varina), Augur of Autumn (for Sidisi), and the commander precons (Undead Unleashed for me and the other one for my son). More than I had hoped for since I was hoping for not many to buy but not as bad as it could have been I suppose.

Of course, another set drops in two months so who knows.

ETA- I may keep the Undead Unleashed precon together to see if any new toys come out for it in the second Innistrad set before I decide what to do with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version