deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

How budget do you consider budget for a 60 card deck?

less than $20
4 (16.7%)
less than $30
6 (25%)
less than $40
3 (12.5%)
less than $50
10 (41.7%)
other
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: How budget do you consider budget for a 60 card deck?  (Read 1399 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
How budget do you consider budget for a 60 card deck?
« on: August 12, 2021, 01:06:20 pm »
Kinda saw something in another thread that sparked this in my mind...

So say you're building a casual 60 card deck and you want it to stay budget, how much are you spending? How did you arrive at that amount?

ETA- my reasoning

I voted for $30. My logic is an average of .50 cents a card for a casual deck. So actually a little more than that not counting basic lands. Casual meaning not something to take to a FNM for Modern or Standard. I say that but then I have built $20 Standard decks back in the day and done ok with them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:41:10 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
Re: How budget do you consider budget for a 60 card deck?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 02:17:53 pm »
Same as you. I make Tribal decks and probably should've given $20, but $30 is good. However, I spend only Euros (€) so I guess I'm around that amount 15€-20€ at utmost.

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 08:43:56 am »
Hm... the MtgGoldfishs calls around 100$ for budget.
So I took that for my own budget-definition.
Below that I call it Ultra-Budget.
Below 20$ it is No-Budget. ;)

As Elan Morin Tedronai I pay in €. For some reason the prices of certain cards are sometimes pretty different between US and Europe (belonging what's en vogue I guess).
The most expensive stuff in the tier-decks is the manabase I guess. Beside that, you can build pretty solid budget-decks imo.

best

I vote for 30$ as well.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 12:43:45 pm »
I only play casual non-format 60card so my "budget" is less than 20€ because I'm not willing to drop more than that into a deck that I don't play that often.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

MonteTribal

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 10:32:30 pm »
Depends on format I guess. Modern is way more pricy than a fun casual deck

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 01:16:37 pm »
Depends on format I guess. Modern is way more pricy than a fun casual deck

It's said: "So say you're building a casual 60 card deck"

I would say it isn't the format but the competitivity, that make a deck expensive. But you are able to make a budget-deck (however you define budget) and still compete with a tier deck. But in a tournament you'll still loose at the end.

One time I managed it to win one round (of 3) against a legacy burn deck with a very first version of my 10%u20AC Kor-Deck (modern-legal) without sideboard that time. If i had a sideboard that time, I may would be able to win the match! Who knows? :D

The most problem is, as I mentioned before the very expensive manabase in almost every format and the accompanying speed.

One last question about budget and format: What's a budget-deck in pauper? ;D

best
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:29:24 pm by BoBWiz »

hotrodscott

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 01:30:17 am »
I think the challenger decks are a pretty good baseline for this... reasonably synergistic, fun to play and fit a theme more than the cheap starter decks. They're 30-ish.   You could round it out with better cards and easily have a fun and decently competitive tabletop deck for $40-50.     For Modern, that $100 mark is for reasonably competitive decks.   I've got a modern homebrew that's like $60 on paper now (i think it was $25 when I built it)  that won't win any tournaments, but it wins a lot of games.   (Maybe .500 win rate, but has beaten a lot of expensive decks it shouldn't have and that makes it worth it :p)     8-whack prices have come down, so it looks like you could build that deck, (even with Goblin Guide in it) now for $75!  (even the "budget version" MTGGoldfish did back in the day didn't have those and is crazy competitive!)

As far as Pauper, many of the tier decks are $50, so might as well go big! hahaha. The problem with going super cheap is that there are so many Pauper staples that are like $3 each that really do make a big difference. (lightning bolt, mutagenic growth etc.)    You can build a decent decks for $25, but when you can get really strong decks for 2x that, it's hard to argue :p   

Lusunu

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 08:43:46 pm »
I feel like $50 is the mark for a deck that's budget but workable in most formats. Less than that and it's hard to include much worth having.

$20 is for *really* budget decks. I have made successful decks in that budget range but it's *very* restrictive.