English-language Forums > General Magic

Counter spells

<< < (5/6) > >>

robort:

--- Quote from: Potato Chop on October 05, 2021, 06:06:43 am ---imo, Essence Scatter and Negate are underplayed. Only need one blue, so they fit into multicolored decks with ease - Negate is good for protection, and Essence Scatter is great for stopping combos. That is, if your opponents are stupid enough to play their combo into a blue player with 2 mana up ;D

I think the reason these cards don't get much love is that they're outclassed by more expensive counterspells like Mana Drain and Force of Will, but they are really amazing, budget cards that can win you the game or stop you from losing the game quite easily.

--- End quote ---

LOL that person would be me. I will play into you holding up that 2 blue mana every time. I figure if you have a counter spell then counter it and if you don't then my spell resolves. I don't think should I play this or not and I just play it.

Bonethousand:
I forgot to mention Stubborn Denial. I know it's conditional, but if your commander is big or interested in making things big, being able to hold up one mana to counter a board wipe is incredible. I use it in my Esix deck, which can be very mana intensive, so I'm always grateful to have this in hand over a Counterspell.

The Golgari Guy:
Unsubstantiate is another one that I think it underplayed. Gets around "can't be countered" and can hit creatures on the field.

The Golgari Guy:

--- Quote from: Bonethousand on October 05, 2021, 01:40:43 pm ---I forgot to mention Stubborn Denial. I know it's conditional, but if your commander is big or interested in making things big, being able to hold up one mana to counter a board wipe is incredible. I use it in my Esix deck, which can be very mana intensive, so I'm always grateful to have this in hand over a Counterspell.

--- End quote ---

Auto-include for any commander that has 4 or more power and blue in its color identity!

Aetherium Slinky:
I am silly. Of course I have a favourite counterspell that is not Pact of Negation (even though I love that one, too)! It's called:

Ertai's Meddling

Yup, it's another text monstrosity. It works a bit like Delay but not really. Delay counters, Ertai's Meddling does not. Delay lets you cast that spell later, Ertai's Meddling does not (it simply places the original spell on the stack). In many ways Ertai's Meddling is Phasing for spells on the stack instead of permanents on the battlefield. What I'm really trying to say is that it actually says "{1}{U} Get rid of target Dovin's Veto".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version