deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Eternal Artisan, my Battle Deck Collection  (Read 1863 times)

0verbeing

• Decks
Eternal Artisan, my Battle Deck Collection
« on: September 14, 2021, 06:38:13 am »
I have always loved brewing and deck building. I would go months on end bringing a different standard brew to my local FNM. Around 2013 I had the idea to start brewing and building in a format that doesn't really exist. I started brewing themed decks with no rares in them. At first just with what I have, but not long after I was building with anything that had ever been a non rare.

Check out my currently built decks here: https://deckstats.net/decks/183308/f89553/

Some have called it SilverBlack, but recently I have been calling it Eternal Artisan. Eternal meaning that there all magic sets with the standard card back and non-silver bordered card frames, and Artisan meaning any card that has been printed as a Common or Uncommon.

The reason I chose this restriction instead of building in existing formats is that with all of the resources and data the magic community has access to these days, formats get solved and metagames develop, so I wanted to build in a space that was unexplored. I chose to build without rares because I think restrictions breed creativity and I wanted to build something a little more accessible. I think the Penny Dreadful format is successful in this aspect in a similar way.

I have designed well over 100 decks and currently have about 70 decks built in paper, sleeved and ready to go. Because I am the only person making these decks, it has functioned the best as a collection of Battle Decks. The most common way that they get played is players like to just reach in the box and grab random decks and battle it out head to head.

This has lead to my deck building style in the format to value a diversity of play patterns, archetypes and to optimize fun instead of power or consistency. The decks don't currently have sideboards, but likely will in the future. For now we have just enjoyed reaching for another deck.

I have a Ban List, but not quite in the traditional sense. Because I have complete control over the collection, I don't need to ban problematic cards, I only have to remove them from the deck that they are problematic in. That said, there are a few cards that have been printed as non rares that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole like Mana Drain, Skullclamp, or Library of Alexandria. I also have a list of cards that I am either currently playing or would add to decks in the right situation, but aren't allowed to be Ubiquitous. I don't want every deck to just be full of Arcum's Astrolabe, Preordain and Dark Ritual, but if the deck calls for it, I will add them.

Often the decks playing overpowered cards are decks that need them to compete with the rest of the Battle Decks or they are decks fully built around the card in a way that is an acceptable power level. I have also allowed the Planeswalker cards from the Planeswalker Decks to be legal in the format. Most of them are unplayable, but I think there is some fun to be had with them as an addition to the format. https://deckstats.net/decks/183308/2106258-eternal-artisan-banlist-watchl

The format is quite powerful here is a list of the cards I consider to be Format Staples. https://deckstats.net/decks/183308/2121533-eternal-artisan-format-staples

I have been building new decks, updating and innovating with existing ones and retiring ones that aren't up to par for over 7 years now. I have decks that would be familiar to many players like Burn, Tron and Elves. I have decks using combinations of cards and synergies that just aren't quite powerful enough to compete in the other formats where they are legal like Shrines, Gates, and Bogles. I also have decks unlike anything in any other format like Boros Pyrohemia, Orzhov Hidden Stockpile, and Simic Turbo Mill Combo. There is something for everyone.

What would you want to build? I'm currently trying to figure out the right direction to come at a Soul Sisters deck,  a Naya Ephemerate Toolbox deck with Imperial Recruiter and Eternal Witness, and a Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver deck. I would also love any feedback or engagement with my decks, the format, deck building philosophy or anything else.