deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Clues as card draw  (Read 1696 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Clues as card draw
« on: September 13, 2021, 03:23:42 am »
With the release of cards like Thorough Investigation and Search the Premises, clue tokens as a source of draw is becoming more common. Do you think that clues are a good source of card draw? And are you planning on using any of the new investigate cards in your decks?

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
Re: Clues as card draw
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 08:18:11 am »
Personally, I think both of these cards are pretty bad and wouldn't play them in a generic white deck just for value. Maybe I would consider Thorough Investigation in an aggressive mono W decks, but Search the Premises is pretty terrible since your opponents controls how many Clues you get, and also it's clues and not straight up cards.

White is starting to get some good card draw lately (Mangara the Diplomat, Esper Sentinel, and I also like Secret Rendezvous), so there's probably no need to play such bad effects.

That said, they could be worth it in the right deck. Examples: Zirda, the Dawnwaker, Thalisse, Reverent Medium etc.
Golgari is life. And death.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 12:54:26 pm »
I don't care that much for those cards. Just leaving 2 mana open just to draw a card doesn't feel like value especially if you have a few clues laying around on your side of the board. How many cards is one person really going to draw with a bunch of clues in a game? 2-5 I am going to guess cause that will cost 4 to 10 mana when that mana could be used for other things.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 02:04:21 pm »
Thorough Investigation - Five mana for your first card, but you can get it that turn if you have the two mana to use the clue after casting the enchantment and attacking. Two mana for each subsequent card, but limited to one per turn (barring extra combat cards). Seven mana total for two cards, nine mana for three cards, etc. There's some extra value from the dungeons, but without other venture cards or clue generators, progress through the dungeons will be slow.

Not so good.

It would have been GREAT if the enchantment had given clue tokens the ability "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.” One card per turn as long as you're attacking, for a three-mana investment. Essentially the same rate as Phyrexian Arena, which might be less impressive in Black but is exactly what an aggressive White or Boros deck needs.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:06:12 pm by TrueNeutralPaladin »

Korlich

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 10:41:31 pm »
The short answer is no. The only exception is if I have a synergy. I love clues in Korvold and wouldnt mind them Akiri Lineslinger etc.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:29:40 pm »
I like them, but only when synergistic. I mean, sure, I'd run either of these in a mono white deck (if I had one), but only as a filler where other more effective cards are missing. In an artifact / enchantment deck, these are top-of-the-chart goodness, especially as sacrifice fodder for bigger effects. Clue and Food tokens are great for Time Sieve and Audacious Reshapers, just to name a couple off the top of my head.

PaladinKnightLord

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 04:37:45 pm »
I think it depends on the type of deck you're putting it in. For example a deck revolving around card draw would make little use of clue tokens to draw. But in some other decks it may be useful. I am putting together a Scooby-Doo deck for Halloween and intend to use a lot of clue tokens. Just gotta test it out.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 06:02:11 pm »
I think this is leading to a white commander that reduces the cost to activate clues. Which if this does happen I feel it’s a solid way to give white card draw that’s fair but good.  Maybe make it make the first clue you active each turn cost 0 and also make clues when an opponent does x.

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 06:40:07 pm »
I think this is leading to a white commander that reduces the cost to activate clues. Which if this does happen I feel it’s a solid way to give white card draw that’s fair but good.  Maybe make it make the first clue you active each turn cost 0 and also make clues when an opponent does x.

How about Zirda, the Dawnwaker?
Golgari is life. And death.

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 01:51:01 am »

I mean yes zirda but I'm talking I think they will settle on clues as white card draw if they do we hopefully will see a very specific made for clues in mono white commander

TrueNeutralPaladin

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 05:59:33 pm »

I mean yes zirda but I'm talking I think they will settle on clues as white card draw if they do we hopefully will see a very specific made for clues in mono white commander

I hope not - or rather I hope it's not the only/primary direction.

I'm fond of "dig" effects - see Winota or Armored Skyhunter (or blue card Call to the Kindred).

These are several factors to adjust to vary the effect:

- what causes the dig (triggered/activated; ETB/attack/mana)
- how many cards to dig through
- what to dig for
- whether to put a found card onto the battlefield or into your hand

I might be interested in a commander that reads something like this:

Lucent, the Brilliant Streak - 2WW

Unicorn Scout - 4/4

First Strike

Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, reveal the top six cards of your library. You may select a creature card from among them that shares a creature type with the creature that entered the battlefield. If you do, put the selected card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

That could support any mono-W tribe - soldiers, warriors, humans, cats, angels, etc - as commander or be useful in the 99 of a W/X deck.

Or how about an enchantment:

Beacon of Hope - 1WW

Enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top six cards of your library. You may select a land card from among them. If you do, put the selected card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

These types of effects have a lot of potential, I think, if they're not too hamstrung. Two not quite good enough attempts:

Militia Bugler
Gavony Dawnguard
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:12:16 pm by TrueNeutralPaladin »

Varatius

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 06:04:39 pm »

I hope not - or rather I hope it's not the only/primary direction.

I'm fond of "dig" effects - see Winota or Armored Skyhunter (or blue card Call to the Kindred).

These are several factors to adjust to vary the effect:

- what causes the dig (triggered/activated; ETB/attack/mana)
- how many cards to dig through
- what to dig for
- whether to put a found card onto the battlefield or into your hand

I might be interested in a commander that reads something like this:

Lucent, the Brilliant Streak - 2WW

Unicorn Scout - 4/4

First Strike

Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, reveal the top six cards of your library. You may select a creature card from among them that shares a creature type with the creature that entered the battlefield. If you do, put the selected card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

That could support any mono-W tribe - soldiers, warriors, humans, cats, angels, etc - as commander or be useful in the 99 of a W/X deck.

Or how about an enchantment:

Beacon of Hope - 1WW

Enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top six cards of your library. You may select a land card from among them. If you do, put the selected card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

These types of effects have a lot of potential, I think, if they're not too hamstrung. Two (not quite good enough) attempts:

Militia Bugler
Gavony Dawnguard

I like this but having an option for strict card draw would be cool and clues in white feels the best because it's fair and slow since white is supposed to be the worst at card draw clues just feel like a good fit for having options for how your card advantage happens.