deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: What cards from Midnight Hunt are making your decks or are you building around?  (Read 1600 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Simple question, what cards from the new set/Commander decks are making your decks or are you building around?

Varina, Lich Queen
* Wilhelt, the Rotcleaver - may end up building around him instead of putting him here, probably won't decide until the next set for sure but for the moment he's being slotted here.
* Empty the Laboratory - not sure it will make the final cut but it definitely looks like an interesting way to turn tokens- be it decayed tokens, tombspawn tokens, or regular tokens- into hard cards on the battlefield.
* Hordewing Skaab - the problem I had with Eternal Skylord was that it only gave your tokens flying, this gives all your zombies flying for the same CMC...excuse me...Mana Value. Deserves at least play-testing.
* Champion of the Perished - one of the initial previews of spoiler season, this caught my eye right away. This deck wants more one drops and this looks pretty decent.
* Vanquish the Horde - enters the conversation for best boardwipe in the format. This will almost always cost just WW in this deck.

Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
*Augur of Autumn - Most of the time I would be able to trigger Coven, so this is a nice little get for the deck. On paper anyway. We'll see how it plays on actual cardboard.

Unfortunately neither Purphoros, Karador Apostles, Skullbriar, or Slivers got any loving from this set but I wasn't expecting any.

As for Commanders I may want to build around (besides Wilhelt) ...

Tovolar, Dire Overlord - possibly, maybe, could be the werewolf commander we've always wanted. I'll probably build the deck on paper and see if I want to build it in cardboard.

Aside from that, some of the Vampires could possibly squeak their way into an Edgar build if I decide to put that deck back together.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
* Champion of the Perished - one of the initial previews of spoiler season, this caught my eye right away. This deck wants more one drops and this looks pretty decent.

Another 1-drop zombie from this set you might like is Larder Zombie. It's not physically strong like Champion, but it has good synergy with zombie tokens. I'm considering using it in Scarab God over Hedron Crab. In the same deck I'm also considering Hordewing Skaab, because the draw and then discard is useful here.

After that I was thinking about doing something with Enduring Angel. While I'm not going to be doing anything with it, this card did prompt me to try and remake Licia, Sanguine Tribune.

Edit: I'm taking another look at the spoilers and I might use Intrepid Adversary if it's at a reasonable price. 2 mana with 3 power and lifelink is useful for getting Licia out early.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:08:39 pm by Morganator 2.0 »

Landale

• Decks
For the most part I'm looking at new toys for my casual Meren deck with this set. Diregraf Rebirth, Ghoulcaller's Harvest, maybe Deathbonnet Sprout. Toying with the idea of using Gisa, Glorious Resurrector as a less oppressive Leyline of the Void / Dauthi Voidwalker. Turn the Earth serves the dual purpose of being both graveyard hate and protection from graveyard hate but is also something I'm not quite sure what I'd take out for it.

I'm wanting to build Wilhelt as well, and aside from the lack of cheap drops the precon actually seems more than half decent. So I'm grabbing Larder Zombie, Poppet Stitcher, Champion of the Perished, and Hobbling Zombie. Gisa might make it into this deck if she doesn't make it into Meren.

Bereaved Survivor might have a place in Winota as a way to fish back out cheap creatures. Especially the non-humans that are often kill on sight. Intrepid Adversary is something I think I should look into too, since this deck cheats most stuff into play I'd have a lot of open mana for it in most cases.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
Quote from: Landale link=topic=63218.msg193143#msg193143 date=
I'm wanting to build Wilhelt as well, and aside from the lack of cheap drops the precon actually seems more than half decent. So I'm grabbing Larder Zombie, Poppet Stitcher, Champion of the Perished, and Hobbling Zombie. Gisa might make it into this deck if she doesn't make it into Meren.

Death Tyrant from AFR goes pretty well in a Wilhelt deck as well.
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
Yeah, I've got that for the deck already. Decayed zombies die in the combat phase, so they're still technically attacking, so you get fresh non decaying ones right away in exchange.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
Yeah, I've got that for the deck already. Decayed zombies die in the combat phase, so they're still technically attacking, so you get fresh non decaying ones right away in exchange.

Bingo!
This space for rent.

Landale

• Decks
Bingo!
Works out nicely with Death Baron and Death-Priest of Myrkul too, so it's not entirely left out of the anthems.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Funny how the set is supposed to revolve around werewolves and yet we're all talking about zombies.

Is anyone going to be using stuff like Fateful Absence? That and Vanquish the Horde are the only cards that stand out as being able to slot in a wide variety of decks.

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
As for me, I'm pretty happy to say that there are just a couple of cards I am really planning to put into my decks.

I'm gonna get most of the new "slow lands" since they are really good duals (probably better than the fastlands in most commander games).

I preordered a Vanquish the Horde since it's going to be a staple, but I still don't know in which deck I'm gonna play it. Maybe in Doran, but Abzan has so many amazing options for board wipes (Damn, Culling Ritual, etc.) that the competition is very thigh.

I want a Cathartic Pyre for Birgi. That card is pretty amazing and I feel like it's being overlooked.

Then maybe I'll try to trade for an Augur of Autumn and an Unnatural Growth for my Galtha deck, but that's a deck that I've built with cards I had laying around and I mainly keep to play in lower-power pods, so I don't really want to chase stuff for it. If I stumble upon them, I'll get them.

Is anyone going to be using stuff like Fateful Absence? That and Vanquish the Horde are the only cards that stand out as being able to slot in a wide variety of decks.

Another one is Infernal Grasp. It's the best 2-cmc black removal spell ever printed.

I think Fateful Absence will be a good budget option, but it'll have a hard time fighting for a spot against Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile and Generous Gift. Planeswalker removal is rarely very relevant in a typical commander game.
Golgari is life. And death.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
Galvanic Iteration looks pretty awesome for my Veyran deck, mainly because of the cheap flashback cost, which is important when you’re trying to storm off! I can see it slotting easily into almost every spell-slinging deck in Izzet colours, and I hope it stays down in price!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
Funny how the set is supposed to revolve around werewolves and yet we're all talking about zombies.

Of course! It's the best tribe!

Seriously though, I think the werewolf commander could be interesting to build and there is a few decent cards for that tribe in this set but no where near as much as people had hoped for. I know my niece had hoped for more.

I pre-ordered a Vanquish the Horde for Varina and will likely try to acquire more through trade to have in my staples binder. Fateful Absence I'm torn on it. It's not a bad two mana removal spell but it's in the same color that has Swords, Path, and Gifts so maybe it's in the conversation for the fourth best single target removal spell in white? I don't know. Like someone else said, it's a good budget answer for the color.

The Meathook Massacre is kind of an interesting card design wise maybe for aristocrat decks. I wouldn't mind having a copy for if I ever build Alesha like I've talked about but I'll wait until its price settles after release. It's pre-order price right now is around $15.
This space for rent.

Korlich

• Decks
I guess it's no surprise but Wrenn and Seven will go well with my Omnath four-color deck. I think it's just about an auto include in any landfall decks really.

SIRrobthenob

• Decks
I put the basics and the slow lands in all my decks

Beyond that

Sidisi
- Bladestitched Skaab
- Malevolent Hermit // Benevolent Geist

Anowan
-Morbid Opportunist
- Field of Ruin

Kalamax
-Memory Deluge