deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] Monk deck (help needed)  (Read 673 times)

Xerit

• Decks
[Casual] Monk deck (help needed)
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:25:57 am »
Monk deck (help needed)

Hi guys! I'm a newbie and i wanted to create a monk deck for casual playing with my buds. I love monks (conceptually) and i wanted to know if this build is decent enough to at least win me some games. Feel free to comment and suggest me some good ideas that rotate in prowess mechanic and monks, also some good synergies.

BoBWiz

• Decks
Re: [Casual] Monk deck (help needed)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 12:39:29 pm »
Hi, it looks good so far. For what do you need help?
May do some less monks and some more spells.
May add some cantrips, carddraw and card selection.
If you stay with the budget land base may add some evolving wilds as well.
Deflecting palm used to be a sideboard card and may you don't need ojutai for this (he is cool but he isn't a monk and he isn't an instant nor a sorcery).
If you want to play heavy with this jeskai ascendency, may do 4 of it and if you can afford it play with 4 monastery mentor, go wide and make the prowess-kill.
Soulfire grandmaster would work pretty well with serra ascendant.
You can add the wanderer (or using the boros charm) and put in some sweeper as deafening clarion. Imagine how much life it would be with the grandmaster.

best
best

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 01:22:56 pm »
Have you considered Whirlwind of Thought? It’s a really nice, sticky enchantment that’ll get you a ton of value from your many instants and sorceries, allowing you to chain through spells and trigger prowess many times in a turn.

Xerit

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 01:41:50 pm »
Hi, it looks good so far. For what do you need help?
May do some less monks and some more spells.
May add some cantrips, carddraw and card selection.
If you stay with the budget land base may add some evolving wilds as well.
Deflecting palm used to be a sideboard card and may you don't need ojutai for this (he is cool but he isn't a monk and he isn't an instant nor a sorcery).
If you want to play heavy with this jeskai ascendency, may do 4 of it and if you can afford it play with 4 monastery mentor, go wide and make the prowess-kill.
Soulfire grandmaster would work pretty well with serra ascendant.
You can add the wanderer (or using the boros charm) and put in some sweeper as deafening clarion. Imagine how much life it would be with the grandmaster.

best
best
What spells do you suggest to add cantrips, card draw and card selection?
I don't really know what lands go with a 3 color deck to have mana consistently. I love your suggestion with monastery mentor, definitely will buy a stack in the future along with ascendancy.

Xerit

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 01:45:46 pm »
Have you considered Whirlwind of Thought? It’s a really nice, sticky enchantment that’ll get you a ton of value from your many instants and sorceries, allowing you to chain through spells and trigger prowess many times in a turn.
Hi! Didn't know such card existed! Definitely i will have it

BoBWiz

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 09:52:47 am »
there are a very lot of cantrips you can use depending on format, budget and what do you want to do.

some suggestions:
opt, brainstorm, serum visions, consider, thought scour, whispers of the muse, ponder or sleight of hand, crash through, warlord's fury, defiant strike

anticipate (as ojutais ability), impulse, telling time, curate

For casual play in a 3 Color deck I often play 11 taplands and the rest basics.
In Jeskai it is: the mystic monastery you already have, and 6 taplands such as tranquil cove, wind-scarred crag and swiftwater cliffs and 1 evolving wilds just in case. This is slow but works fine for me.

best