deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Innistrad Midnight Hunt in Commander  (Read 720 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Innistrad Midnight Hunt in Commander
« on: October 03, 2021, 06:04:47 pm »
According to EDHRec, three of the top four commanders of the past week are Innistrad related. Two from the set and one likely due to the set itself.

1- Tovolar, Dire Overlord // Tovolar, the Midnight Scourge (500 decks)
2- Wilhelt, the Rotcleaver (458 decks)
3- Prosper, Tome-Bound (349 decks)
4- Edgar Markov (256 decks)

This is kind of typical for a new set, but it's interesting nonetheless. Especially the resurgence of Edgar.  Do we expect any of these decks to show staying power in the top decks for the month or do we expect them to fizzle out as typically happens over the course of a few weeks.

Personally I could see Tovolar staying around, maybe not the top 5 but definitely hanging around a while.
This space for rent.

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
Re: Innistrad Midnight Hunt in Commander
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:56:51 am »
I agree with you in that Tovolar will stay for a while. I think he's the Werewolf commander that people have been wanting for a long time, and a fresh take on the Gruul colours - that card draw is very useful.

I feel like Prosper should go down for good after a little while (maybe a month), and I think Edgar is going to see fast decline in the time between now and the release of Crimson Vow, when his popularity will shoot up again. Wilhelt's popularity really depends on the quality of the zombies in Crimson Vow and how quickly he becomes viewed as overpopularised. I know that I, for one, get bored of commanders quickly when there are a lot of people playing them around me. I have less of an urge to build them because it seems less unique.

Akira Foxmind

• Patron
  • Always pressing F5 in hope for anything to happen.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 01:35:27 pm »
I'm suprised that Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor isn't in the Top 4 as well. I mean it's the first curse-tribal commander who really supports the theme.
'Trigger happy little kitten.
---------
Chaos Control!
---------
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
---------
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 02:59:33 pm »
I'm suprised that Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor isn't in the Top 4 as well. I mean it's the first curse-tribal commander who really supports the theme.

Lynde is 12th with 194 decks.

I think the problem is support for the deck in those colors. It's enchantment heavy (30 possible curses in the commander's color identity, some of which are marginal at best) but the best enchantment support (enchantresses, the new card that lets you add mana for each enchantment you control, Sigil of the Empty Throne, enchantment protection like Sterling Grove, Serra's Sanctum if you have a small fortune to drop on the deck, etc.) is all in green and white, the two colors not in the commander's color identity.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 03:12:35 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 09:57:59 pm »
This space for rent.