deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Best 5 color commander for a steal your stuff deck  (Read 1091 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Best 5 color commander for a steal your stuff deck
« on: October 05, 2021, 02:05:04 pm »
What I'm envisioning isn't probably going to be very competitive but is something I think would be fun. I'm envisioning playing things like Gonti, Daxos of Meletis, Bribery, Treachery, Villainous Wealth, Thada Adel, Etali, Act of Treason, and the like in a deck with the sole purpose of stealing and playing other peoples stuff, so my questions are this...

What would be the best 5 color commander for this deck?

Or is there a color you think could be left out of the deck and for what reason? (I know green doesn't have many if any theft effects but I was primarily including it for ramp since the deck figures to be mana intensive and Villainous Wealth is a favorite card of mine)

If no comment on those, what are your thoughts on the deck in general? Any cards to include or to stay away from?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 02:10:14 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Best 5 color commander for a steal your stuff deck
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 02:22:24 pm »
I know it isn't a 5 color commander but I have been having fun creating and updating/improving on my Yasova Dragonclaw deck. It takes other people's creatures and sac their stuff using Evolutionary Leap and Jalira, Master Polymorphist to help bring out my best stuff.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 02:28:33 pm »
Atogatog. Because.

Throw a Maskwood Nexus in there... because.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 06:31:48 pm »
I really like stealing my opponents stuff and then doing things with it. I tried doing something like this with Haldan + Pako. It works with mixed results. I've had more success stealing creatures with The Scarab God. Those are options in less colours.

I don't know of anything specific in 5 colours so you'll likely have to just go with something generically good like Kenrith, Codie, Golos, or Ramos.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 06:10:19 am »
Child of Alara with effects that let you filch things from other graveyards?

Alternatively, Memnarch with Mycosynth Lattice and Liquimetal Coating.

(I know Memnarch already turns things into artifacts, but the helper effects make it less mana intensive.)
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 11:23:25 am »
Some ideas come to mind:
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 01:20:04 pm »
Really loving the suggestions in this thread! Thanks guys!
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 02:49:07 pm »
What are your thoughts so far? Do you have an idea for which commander you want to use?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 06:25:05 am »
What are your thoughts so far? Do you have an idea for which commander you want to use?

If Golos hadn’t gotten the ban hammer, I think he would be the best fit for the commander but without him I’m thinking it’ll have to be Kenrith. Odds are I’ll never cast the commander that much anyway so maybe I go the budget route and pick up Atogatog.

As for the other ideas, there’s some good ones in this thread for sure. I’m going to have to sit down this weekend when I have time and brew this up on paper.
This space for rent.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 04:26:48 pm »
I used Prossh, Skyraider of Kher to helm a steal stuff deck.  Pretty much limited to just stealing creatures.  With Prossh, after you steal them, you can eliminate them.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 05:11:20 pm »
I used Prossh, Skyraider of Kher to helm a steal stuff deck.  Pretty much limited to just stealing creatures.  With Prossh, after you steal them, you can eliminate them.
That reminds me of a deck I brewed that was almost exclusively Brion Stoutarm and Act of Treason effects.

Actually, forget what I said before. THAT is my recommendation.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

Elan Morin Tedronai

• Modern Tribal Combinations!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 05:21:28 pm »
I'd also recommend using Brion Stoutarm to fling the creatures you steal with Act of Treason, Traitorous Instinct and so on. Just a suggestion. I use it in the Giants Lorwyn and it's fantastic to see it, albeit it happens rarely in games. I'd also recommend Niv Mizzet Reborn in this vein, as looking at Gatherer that there aren't many options. I'm not the most expert EDH player, come to kitchen table Magic, but just the Brion Stoutarm is enough probably to win over such a combination where you steal and fling the creatures to the opponent.
Regard:
Chavo