deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rate my Deck! EDH Kenrith and Zirda Transmute  (Read 383 times)

Alex The Chief

• View Profile
  • Decks
Rate my Deck! EDH Kenrith and Zirda Transmute
« on: October 12, 2021, 05:47:54 am »
Hello All,

I wanted to get some opinions and feedback on my EDH deck and was wondering what power level this would be. Please feel free to playtest and experiment. Thanks for the advice and constructive criticism!

The basic strategy is to get infinite colorless mana by transmuting for Zirda, the Dawnwaker and Basalt Monolith. Use a draw X spell to let all players draw X% of their decks (usually I leave 10 to protect from overdrawing). With infinite colorless and ~90 cards, you can usually combo with

Treasure Vault -> Overloaded Cyclonic Rift -> Overloaded Counterflux
or
Emergence Zone -> Isochron Scepter / Counter -> Prismite

to filter for infinite colored mana. Otherwise, you can tutor combo pieces for colorless with artifacts
Gilded Lotus -> Tolaria West
Commander's Sphere -> Soothsaying
Coalition Relic -> Folio of Fancies

As a default, you can use Kenrith, the Returned King from the command zone as a mana sink to win
Otherwise, you can play any combo in your deck, my favorites are Story Circle -> Crypt Rats and Pack Rat -> Elixir of Immortality

Have fun!

https://deckstats.net/decks/169186/2255783--transmute-kenrith-and-zirda?lng=en

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Decks
Re: Rate my Deck! EDH Kenrith and Zirda Transmute
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 12:01:21 pm »
Instead of getting infinite colorless and then finding a draw X spell, wouldn't it be better to make infinite colored mana and then use Kenrith to force everyone to draw their deck? He's right there in the command zone, which makes him an easier outlet to access.

Alex The Chief

• View Profile
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 09:55:27 pm »
Ultimately, the goal is infinite colored mana to cast Kenrith, the Returned King continuously from the command zone to win. How would you make infinite colored mana?

Here is my plan:
Both Zirda, the Dawnwaker as companion and Basalt Monolith can be consistently tutored but only make infinite colorless mana. I need some way to filter my mana to make it colored. As far as I know, Treasure Vault cannot be responded to and will have the least chance for interaction. Otherwise, I can play any number of artifacts before attempting to cast Prismite. I am assuming enemy players will not want to interrupt a non-lethal draw X spell because it would give them access to almost their whole deck. If you do not draw Treasure Vault in your 90 cards you can likely tutor for it with Commander's Sphere -> Enlighted Tutor or similar. Can enemy players prevent Treasure Vault from filtering mana in any way?

acedabeast

• View Profile
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 10:33:55 pm »
Ultimately, the goal is infinite colored mana to cast Kenrith, the Returned King continuously from the command zone to win. How would you make infinite colored mana?

Here is my plan:
Both Zirda, the Dawnwaker as companion and Basalt Monolith can be consistently tutored but only make infinite colorless mana. I need some way to filter my mana to make it colored. As far as I know, Treasure Vault cannot be responded to and will have the least chance for interaction. Otherwise, I can play any number of artifacts before attempting to cast Prismite. I am assuming enemy players will not want to interrupt a non-lethal draw X spell because it would give them access to almost their whole deck. If you do not draw Treasure Vault in your 90 cards you can likely tutor for it with Commander's Sphere -> Enlighted Tutor or similar. Can enemy players prevent Treasure Vault from filtering mana in any way?

you need something like chromatic orrery

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 02:45:56 am »
It's not just the treasure vault that you have to worry about, this isn't an instant-speed combo, so there are a bunch of points where this combo can be interupted.

Let's go over the steps for a second. I want to make sure that I understand this combo correctly.

• Pay 3 mana to pull Zirda from the companion zone, then pay 3 to cast Zirda.
  • Play Basalt Monolith (1st combo piece)
  • Generate infinite colorless
  • Put that mana and a few extra colored mana to cast a draw spell with "draw X" to get most of your deck (or just draw all of your deck, may as well).
  • Play Treasure Vault/Prismite
  • Turn that colourless mana into coloured.
  • Play Kenrith
  • Use Kenrith's draw to force everyone to draw their deck. Win.

So first off, there are a lot of opportunities to interact with these combo pieces. The best opportunity would be to remove either Basalt Monolith or Zirda while the untap ability is on the stack. Blue decks can counter either of these or the draw X spell. And there are prenty of stax cards that can deal with this.

The combo can be aided with a protection package, so don't worry too much about that. The other aspect you need to worry about is dead cards. In combo crafting, a dead card is a card that is useful during the combo, but has no use (or next to no use) outside of the combo. For this line, the dead cards are Basalt Monolith and Prismite. Having these cards in your hand when you can't use them is just a feel-bad.

This isn't a terrible combo line, but I would consider using some alternate lines that give infinite coloured mana right away, so you can skip the dead cards.

Alex The Chief

• View Profile
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 07:17:23 pm »
You have the sequence correct. It was my mistake to not consider the combo before step 3. Can you elaborate on a protection package? An example would be very helpful. I appreciate it!

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 11:25:13 pm »
A protection package is just ways of protecting your combo or gameplan. As you're playing out your combo other players are going to interact with it. You need to stop them.

Counterspells are a good source of protection, as long as they are 1 or less mana. 2 mana can be used as protection, but it's less reliable. Fierce Guardianship, Swan Song, Miscast, and Dispel are good ones from off the top of my head. You can also use things like Sylvan Safekeeper, Deflecting Swat, and Flawless Maneuver.