deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Venom land deck suggestions? [Casual]  (Read 751 times)

Federico Rosano

• Decks
Venom land deck suggestions? [Casual]
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:35:04 pm »
DECK HELP for Psychic Venom LAND DECK
Yesterday I found these two beauties: Pooling Venom and Psychic Venom.
I'm planning to build a Casual Dimir deck around this "tap" mechanic but I'd love your tips, expecially if you already built a deck with these cards.

Here's my plan:
- Enchanting the opponent's lands with the two venoms.
- Using cards like Paralyze and Slow Motion to slow down the attacking phase and forcing my opponent to tap the lands.
- Control the board with cards like Early Frost, Gigadrowse and Curse of Chains, triggering the venoms and the other curses.

Is all looking good, but I do have a couple of doubts:
- how do I stop big Hexproof boys like Carnage Tyrant? I have no answer to this rather than mass removal or white cards like Celestial Flare.
- how do I stop big hordes of creatures? Like a Tribal Goblin deck? I can't enchant them all. Eventually using Propaganda as an extra defense?
- how I survive against mass removal spells like Back to Nature? Just by adding counterspells like Miscast?

The deck looks promising tho.
I'm open to your suggestions. Just keep in mind this's just a deck to play with friends and it has to be cheap (in the $20 range).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:27:25 pm by Federico Rosano »

Federico Rosano

• Decks
Re: Venom land deck suggestions? [UB Casual]
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 05:27:16 pm »
In the last few days I elaborated this deck idea a little further. I realized the "tap" mechanics is not very effective, as I need to pay mana to enchant permanents and only then I have to pay additional mana to force them to tap and thus giving damage. I realized that I'm not forcing my opponent to actually tap the venomous lands, as he/she may just wait to draw the big wincon, like Back to Nature or Soul's Fire, and tap the lands only once to wipe me out.

I'm considering adding white to improve the mechanics. Soul Tithe is very similar to Slow Motion and both force my opponent to tap the lands. White offers amazing defensive cards like Oppressive Rays and Ghostly Prison which is amazing against aggro decks with a lot of creatures: I can't enchant them all. Moreover, Esper has this beauty: Zur the Enchanter. It fits in the deck so well I'm almost convinced to go this way.

I'm still looking for a definitive wincon, like dropping an Ethereal Armor using the Zur ability. It sounds just right.

BoBWiz

• Decks
Re: Venom land deck suggestions? [Casual]
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 10:21:54 am »
Hi,

you shouldn't deal with big threads like carnage tyrant, 'cause you tap all the mana, I guess.
There will be always some mechanics you can't beat.

You may add cards like displacement wave or river's rebuke for just in case.
For cards like back to nature, I would get just some counterspells as you said.

best