deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Losing interest?  (Read 3946 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Losing interest?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 08:37:59 pm »
When it was 4 sets a year (a Core set and three sets) along with the Commander precons (that weren’t tied to a set), I was happy with what was being released.

That was basically one set a quarter and a nice bonus for Commander around Christmas (when they came out in November) or for my birthday (when they came out in August).

That felt like a nice balance. Now it’s like new product overload.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 08:42:04 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 11:32:20 pm »
When it was 4 sets a year (a Core set and three sets) along with the Commander precons (that weren’t tied to a set), I was happy with what was being released.

That was basically one set a quarter and a nice bonus for Commander around Christmas (when they came out in November) or for my birthday (when they came out in August).

That felt like a nice balance. Now it’s like new product overload.

Yeah, four sets a year is pretty nice. It's a little short for good sets and a little long for bad sets, but it's enough time to really explore the new cards and enjoy a standard environment. I think the four commander decks a year was a good number, but especially when the only made-for-commander cards were in those decks. Now that every set has cards that are clearly intended more for commander than other formats, the commander decks feel like watered down pre-cons. Having crazy new cards like Prossh or Atraxa was interesting when we weren't getting Chulane.
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 12:04:15 am »
I am not losing interest per say. I play commander almost 2 to 3 times per week with my playgroups. I'll always enjoy playing magic. However where I am losing interest of course is where most everyone else is. The saturation of stuff coming out, secret lairs, new sets, commander sets to compliment the new sets. I honestly can't keep up with so many cards to possibly buy which I admittingly did buy a bunch of the commander decks I don't really know what to do with. I haven't upgraded any of them nor really created anything new from them. This is the part that is overwhelming. Just to much product to decide upon and absorb in just 1 year. I am currently working on a deck now and even bought 1 booster box of Crimson Vow. So essentially it is becoming tiresome seeing so dang much product that I almost don't want to create another deck. I won't stop ever playing the game but buy this, buy that, buy this, buy that.. Let me absorb what is in front of me (the new cards that came out) before tossing more new cards at me. Lol yes long post
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

boncoswoll

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 10:19:01 am »
I'm not losing interest in the game, just losing interest in the new cards and perpetual hype.

I'm kind of at the point where I'm ready to just stop collecting. I've got a box of cards that has enough playable jank in it to build commander decks for as long as I desire and if I never bought another card again, it wouldn't matter. I can get games in with my friends with the stuff I already own. I've mostly ignored spoilers from the last year or so and I honestly don't feel like I've missed out at all. It's a wonderful place to be. I might pick up the odd single here or there, or have a night of draft with friends, but mostly I'm happy with where I'm at.

This wasn't the case a few years ago. I used to massively enjoy spoiler season(s), looking at every card and getting excited. It was easier when you only had to do it a few times a year.

One thing I will say that has been a positive from the massive influx of products though is the amount of reprints that will inevitably come with it, and the price drop that happens as a result.

More product = more reprints = more good.

There have been a lot of cards reprinted in the last few years that I'd previously considered too expensive for my own personal preference that I've now picked up as a result of reprints.

Greed used to go for £10+ and now it's 50p. Same for Goblin Bombardment. Same for Greater Good. Same for many, many more. The amount of precons means Sol Ring is now the cheapest I've ever seen it. You love to see it.

If you can find that sweet spot between keeping an eye out for singles that you're interested in without getting bogged down in the perpetual hype, you're on to a winner in my opinion.

Bonethousand

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 05:45:56 pm »
If you can find that sweet spot between keeping an eye out for singles that you're interested in without getting bogged down in the perpetual hype, you're on to a winner in my opinion.

This! Really, only two parts of me are burnt out: the collector and the meta-gamer in me. And I'm honestly not too sad to see these parts of my relationship with MTG die. I'm having more fun being able to afford the decks I've been wanting to play, and more excitement when someone plays a card I didn't even notice was released this year. I think for a while there I was upset that I was losing the nostalgia for a game that was emblematic of a time I miss. Now that I've accepted that the 90's and early 2000's are over and never coming back, I've felt more comfortable building a new relationship with the game. It was a hard road to get here, but I'm kind of grateful for WoTC's clear cash grab schemes for forcing me to this point of perspective.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 02:49:58 am »
I can understand WoTC's idea to expand MTG and make it even bigger, but this is just too fast. I haven't been building as many new decks just simply because there's been too much product overload, and as an EDH player, too many new legendaries and potential staples to look at. If there were just half of what there is now coming out, it would be so much easier to actually think about the game. The product overload hits everyone and just makes the creative process less fun.

However, what WoTC HAS been improving on is the reprint value in the commander decks and sets. There haven't been any Dockside Extortionist / Fierce Guardianship cards printed this year, and so many $20 card have been reprinted, driving down their prices. (Still waiting for a Smothering Tithe reprint though.) In addition the introduction of collector boosters has driven down the prices on rares and foils, which is actually fairly nice if you're someone who builds on a budget. 2#20 was an interesting, if a bit unsavory year for Magic, and 2021 has felt a bit better, except for the overwhelming product fatigue. If Wizards can slow production of new sets and cards just a little bit, it wouldn't hurt their financials a bit, and those precious stockholders wouldn't have to worry.

If Wizards listens to the comunity just a little bit more and decides to focus their attention on making the Magic more fun to play instead of greater profits, they could reverse the very slow but gradual decline of the game everyone loves, MTG could really get a whole lot better.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Lusunu

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 08:20:06 pm »
you know, honestly I'm kinda stoked about some of the directions the game's been taking recently. I'll give that there have maybe been more reprints as of late than before, but stuff like the Japanese alt art prints are maybe my favorite thing WotC's ever done. I have a foil of the Sign in Blood alt sitting next to me as I type this, and I love it. The new art direction is omega pog.

That said, I frankly could not give less of a shit what anything in standard (or recently even modern) is. I just play casual and EDH with my friends. If that's taken a shit direction, I wouldn't know.

TL:DR as a casual player who doesn't care about new cards, I'm happy