deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: New Un-set: Unfinity  (Read 3617 times)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
New Un-set: Unfinity
« on: November 29, 2021, 05:41:22 pm »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/unfinity-and-beyond-2021-11-29

Okay so... The silver border is gone. Some of these cards are treated as black-border and therefore legal in the eternal formats (including a reprint of Water Gun Balloon Fight).  Some of them are treated as silver-border and are not legal in any formats. The not legal cards will have an acorn security stamp (foiling in the lower-middle part of the card).

Landale

• Decks
Re: New Un-set: Unfinity
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 06:25:20 pm »
Some of these cards are treated as black-border and therefore legal in the eternal formats (including a reprint of Water Gun Balloon Fight). 
So Pink now exists as a sixth color in normal games of Magic. That seems like a bit of an oversight on their part.

fire5167

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 07:22:34 pm »
Slightly off topic, but did you see the new shock land arts? That is incredible!

I think they handled the legality of the set pretty well. Most of the cards in un-sets are never used anyways so encouraging the player-base to use them in conjunction with other legal cards makes their existence worthwhile. And I would much rather play against a funny un-set card than a UB card any day of the week.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 08:51:54 pm »
So Pink now exists as a sixth color in normal games of Magic. That seems like a bit of an oversight on their part.

I haven't seen a preview for a card with pink mana. Do you have a link?

Landale

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:56:17 pm »

I haven't seen a preview for a card with pink mana. Do you have a link?
Mana no, color yes. 5/5 pink Giant Teddy Bear. Reprint of a silver bordered card, but no silver border and no acorn.

And nevermind, apparently that's just a misprint. https://twitter.com/maro254/status/1465362571729403908
The Acorn/No Acorn distinction on legality is already off to a wonderful start.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:24:17 pm by Landale »

Potato Chop

• Jank is Dank
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 08:27:34 am »
I'm pretty excited about the fact that some cards will be legal in play. Getting people more familiar with un-sets is a big step towards making silver-bordered / acorn cards more generally accepted at casual tables down at the LGS. Of course, I'll always have replacements at the ready, but I feel like it would be fun to throw in some un-cards in a deck, just to add some spice on top of normal gameplay. Saw in Half looks unironically really cool, though. Casting that on a creature you control with abilities that stack well with itself (Avenger of Zendikar for example) I can get behind, and I hope to see more of the likes of this kind of card.

Also I really, really, really like the "orbital space-ic lands". I'm going to have to buy at least one for each deck in that deck's colors. That Mountain especially is absolutely stunning.

The only thing that makes me somewhat uncomfortable is the existence of collector boosters for the set. For me it kind of ruins the "Wow, they want to give us something cool and fun without ulterior motives" feeling. But I'm not going to let that put a damper on this set. It looks awesome so far, and I can't wait to see the "Galaxy Foil" treatment!

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 08:40:47 am »

People are already excited about this one. Looks like there's some combo potential, and it can be also used for some "brute" value plays (double Dockside Extorsionist anyone?). In any case, seems like a versatile and powerful spell.

Also I'm loving the new basics and Shocks. However I'm not gonna chase them personally, as they don't fit the theme of any of the decks that I am trying to "bling out".
Golgari is life. And death.

ApothecaryGeist

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 01:02:58 pm »
I've always been a fan of the Un Sets.  I really like that the black-border capable cards now actually have a black border.  But I feel like the the acorn symbol will cause LOTS confusion.  I'm sure that black-border & silver-border intermixed within the set would cause printing issues.  But I feel like that would be a much better answer.

I really love the basic lands.  I'll hopefully get enough of each art (they aren't evenly mixed) in the box(es) that I buy.  They will definitely be going into my Commander decks.

I'm not usually one to get very excited about alternate arts for anything other than basic lands.  The shock lands are awesome.  I likely won't be going after them as they will likely be VERY expensive.
Happy Brewing!
:)

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 03:42:19 pm »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 03:45:40 pm »
Sorry forgot that I quickly posted it from a friend on there. It is easier on that website for our local playgroups to quickly communicate to one another.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Mynus

• Something, Something
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 08:02:58 pm »
I can see Saw in Half getting a lot of play, so I am interested to see what other non-acorn cards the unset has.

Personally, I will be putting saw in half in a couple of my decks (ETB focused ones), especially my Gyruda, Doom of Depths deck. I think it will serve as a way to get more triggers on my Gyruda if someone tries to kill it, using it in response since Gyruda will die anyways and I can at least get two more ETB triggers.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 11:08:14 am »
Saw In Half on Craterhoof anyone?
This space for rent.

STARBREAKER111

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 02:53:51 pm »
Saw In Half on Craterhoof anyone?
With Yarrok, and/or panharmonicon in play in case you need four+ triggers for some reason

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 03:10:45 pm »
We already have a lot of cards that make a copy of a creature you control. They only see play in specific decks. Saw in Half will be the same.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 04:13:21 pm »
Yes there is stuff that makes “a” copy but saw in half makes 2 copies for just 3 mana at “instant” speed. Anything with an Etb will trigger twice. Twice for 3 mana instant speed is great value.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me