deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Commander]How do i determine my own decks power level? Vadrok.  (Read 556 times)

Hordelorde05

• Decks
So I've been building this Vadrok deck for a while. https://deckstats.net/decks/107681/2348419-vadrok-love-and-thunderstruck

My issue is the power level is kinda hard for me to determine. it has seen far more one-on-one play and it can be really strong there. and a few games in multiplayer. I do want to be honest with other players when having rule zero conversations but I have no idea how to articulate the power level of this deck.

Does anyone have an opinion or a method for how I can represent the power level of my deck fairly and accurately?

Also, what do you think? the true version has tons of showcase styles extended arts and some secret lairs.

Cosmic_Insight

• praise Sylveon for upvotes
  • Decks
Re: [Commander]How do i determine my own decks power level? Vadrok.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 07:01:30 am »
I believe that there are several different programs people have made to determine a deck's power level, but it is helpful to think about what cards are in the deck, what the general strategy is, and how seriously you intend to win with the deck. Vadrok is such a cool commander, I've always wanted to try building him but haven't had the chance yet. The thing about EDH is, if your deck has a bit more power than the other players at the table, they can band together and take you down. I've had a Najeela, the Blade Blossom lose to other, slightly more casual decks because the table saw me as the threat and got rid of me first. (Joke's on them, my lgs gives a pack to the first one out on commander nights.

When looking at and editing the cards in your deck, you can select whatever version of them you want. If I want the Premium Deck Series: Graveborn copy of Verdant Force in my deck, I can specify that. This can also get you Secret Lair card styles, and can change the cards from foil to non-foil.

Good luck!
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. owo

Hordelorde05

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 07:21:05 am »
I believe that there are several different programs people have made to determine a deck's power level, but it is helpful to think about what cards are in the deck, what the general strategy is, and how seriously you intend to win with the deck. Vadrok is such a cool commander, I've always wanted to try building him but haven't had the chance yet. The thing about EDH is, if your deck has a bit more power than the other players at the table, they can band together and take you down. I've had a Najeela, the Blade Blossom lose to other, slightly more casual decks because the table saw me as the threat and got rid of me first. (Joke's on them, my lgs gives a pack to the first one out on commander nights.

When looking at and editing the cards in your deck, you can select whatever version of them you want. If I want the Premium Deck Series: Graveborn copy of Verdant Force in my deck, I can specify that. This can also get you Secret Lair card styles, and can change the cards from foil to non-foil.

Good luck!

Oh yes, vadrok is the bee's knees! I figured there was a way to put specific versions of cards on this site. I just hadn't figured it out yet.

yeah as far as power level goes for this deck, I know some folks say that vadrok can be competitive but when I start comparing my deck to allegedly competitive lists they don't really look the same. but I do run a tutor and an extra(fair) turn spell and some oppressive "surprise!" cards. there are also plenty of neat combos but nothing infinite and they are more value-oriented combos. but the mana base is solid... I also don't have the best of luck.  I dunno. i go back and forth so much on this deck pointing out all the pros and cons i can never land on a solid answer. i politically waffle answer my own questions on the power level of this deck.

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 04:43:48 pm »
This deck can be kind of hard to determine the power level of, so I understand your confusion. It has fetches and shocks for a manabase, something pretty typical of like and 8 or 9 power level deck, and it does push the power of the commander pretty far. That being said, it lacks a lot of disgustingly powerful effects that are associated with power level 7 or above. Vadrok and the mutate mechanic as a whole isn't particularly powerful especially in multiplayer because the creatures it creates are not that threatening to all players. It can very easily get outclasses by some of the more recent (and overpowered) commanders like a Chulane and Meren. It also doesn't have any infinite mana combos or instant wins. If I were to give this a rating it would probably be a fun 5.

If it gets enough time to do its thing without being disrupted it can certainly win games, but it gets outclassed by faster decks that provide bigger threats.

If I had to overall comment on the deck, I would say that it seems sweet, and does a lot with the mutate theme. My instinct when building would be to lean into the spellslinger and flashback theme harder. You can really take advantage of cards like Secrets of the Dead with Past in Flames, Think Twice and Increasing Vengeance. That being said, I am a known Mizzix and Melek player so that might just be me, although I think you need more 3 mana spells to get back with Vadrok.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.